Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fire warning shots at British Navy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

Have you counted all the rivets on the Conqueror too ?

No, but I would if you got me into Devonport Naval Base. She's still in storage awaiting disposal :D

Seriously though, I'm a huge naval history and naval warfare geek, and since the Falklands War has to date the last major naval conflict, I've of course tried to read up on that s much as possible, though I'm still very much an amateur.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

BloodBath wrote: »
    What a load of drivel. Where do you read this nonsense?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever about the hacking of the HSE being state sponsored?

It's well documented that these type of hacks either come from state services or are allowed to operate within a state ,
    They have a 1.7 trillion economy but measure in GDP per capita they don't even make the top 25 countries ,I believe we rank higher . there economy is based off fuel exports with alot of countries moving to green or more diverse fuel supplies russias economy will keep shrinking for several more decades leaving it nothing more than a local power with nuclear weapons , while turkey are starting to meddle in countries within the russian Sphere of influence as seen recently in Armenia Azerbaijani conflict ,once Putin goes or falls Russia could be in trouble again

thomil wrote: »
    No, but I would if you got me into Devonport Naval Base. She's still in storage awaiting disposal :D

Seriously though, I'm a huge naval history and naval warfare geek, and since the Falklands War has to date the last major naval conflict, I've of course tried to read up on that s much as possible, though I'm still very much an amateur.

I’m in awe at your naval knowledge. Keep posting stuff as you make it easy to stay interested.

Ps: how many rivets do subs have? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Gatling wrote: »
    It's well documented that these type of hacks either come from state services or are allowed to operate within a state ,
    They have a 1.7 trillion economy but measure in GDP per capita they don't even make the top 25 countries ,I believe we rank higher . there economy is based off fuel exports with alot of countries moving to green or more diverse fuel supplies russias economy will keep shrinking for several more decades leaving it nothing more than a local power with nuclear weapons , while turkey are starting to meddle in countries within the russian Sphere of influence as seen recently in Armenia Azerbaijani conflict ,once Putin goes or falls Russia could be in trouble again

So no evidence then. Just baseless speculation presented as fact.

Good thing Biden gave the go ahead for the Russian pipeline to Germany then. That will show them.

I’m in awe at your naval knowledge. Keep posting stuff as you make it easy to stay interested.

Ps: how many rivets do subs have? :D

Modern ones none obviously, they're welded :D

I'd still take any chance to give even a second-Gen hunter-killer boat like Conqueror a good inspection. They're all still around after all, at least in the UK. Right back to HMS Dreadnought, the first UK nuke boat...

• Advertisement

Another headline out of Russia

"Russia Practiced Destroying an Enemy Carrier Strike Group While the Carl Vinson Was Nearby"

While carrying out manoeuvres off Hawaii ,they are starting to sound like Iran now ,the hero's of Russia sank an airfix model today glory to the great ones ,

As much as I'm wary of the current Russian government, this type of exercise is pretty much the least of my worries. Russian fleet doctrine has centred around taking out US and NATO carrier battle groups since the late 1960s, and their entire equipment is built around that doctrine, from ships like the Kirov class "battlecruisers" to submarines with massive cruise missile batteries, to systems like the P-700 Granit cruise missile, the latter of which is really scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Ye sure. Sorry I asked. Extending NATO right up to the Russian border. Very peaceful intent indeed.

NATO has been up to the Russian border since the date of its inception.

NATO has had a black sea coast since the date of its inception.

paul71 wrote: »
    NATO has been up to the Russian border since the date of its inception.

NATO has had a black sea coast since the date of its inception.

Some people don't seem to know even the basics,

Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Ukraine , Turkey and Russia share the black sea ,all are NATO states or allies with the exception of russia ,

Since when is Georgia a member of NATO? Genuine question.

I know they wanted to join, which is understandable given that Russia nabbed Abkhazia and South Ossetia from them in the mid to late 2000s, but I don't think they were ever officially admitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

What a load of drivel. Where do you read this nonsense?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever about the hacking of the HSE being state sponsored?

Why would it be state sponsored? Russia has a 1.7 Trillion economy despite being heavily sanctioned for decades. A paltry 20 million ransom is nothing and we are not a political enemy.

People will believe any crap they are fed.

Any government that allows hackers to have offices and launch international cyber crimes is culpable - simple reality.

It's not state sponsored but supported by fact they don't clamp down on these illegal activities.

Stone age sad mentality of let them do bad against other nations. Poor ruskies still think they are commies.

Need to start catching back up to the world.

People will believe anything, even believe a state that murders people across the globe and takes other nations land is civilized. They are more closely connected to monguls of the past than the modern world in some mentalities.

thomil wrote: »
    Since when is Georgia a member of NATO? Genuine question.

I know they wanted to join, which is understandable given that Russia nabbed Abkhazia and South Ossetia from them in the mid to late 2000s, but I don't think they were ever officially admitted.

There allies of NATO ,the only reason they are not full members it to keep russia happy ,
    I believe Finland or Sweden would be the next full members ..

Another one people forget the Georgia Russia launched a suprise attack supposedly in response to Russian soldiers getting killed ,they attacked mostly unguarded civilian infrastructure most of the ordinance they dropped missed their targets and a fair amount failed to detonate ,

More claims from Russia about this ,yet zero evidence to show they fired at or dropped bombs in the ships path considering it's a fairly busy shipping area

Russia 'demanded Royal Navy ship "change course or we'll fire" before shooting'

Russian military officials told British warship HMS Defender to 'change course or we'll fire' as it neared disputed waters, a journalist aboard has claimed.

Russia claims its military fired warning shots at the HMS Defender and dropped bombs in its path.

But the UK has flatly denied any claims of a confrontation and the assertion that the ship left Russian waters soon afterwards, "having ventured as much as 3 kilometres (2 miles) inside".

Russia has since released footage which it claimed was the British defence attache being summoned to hear a protest from Vladimir Putin’s defence ministry. Britain has not commented on the video.

So no evidence then. Just baseless speculation presented as fact.

Good thing Biden gave the go ahead for the Russian pipeline to Germany then. That will show them.

A little pro rusky are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A little pro rusky are you?

No just not a hypocrite guardian reader. All of the things you accuse the Russians of are just as applicable to the UK or the US.

No just not a hypocrite guardian reader. All of the things you accuse the Russians of are just as applicable to the UK or the US.

Think you need to look up the definition of hypocrite...

Didn't defend the Uk at all, also never read the guardian but hey, given your belief in russian righteousness I think you may be a little gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When did the UK or US take down the HSE and release Irish people's personal health details on the internet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Side Question:
    Are subs used / effective in modern warfare or are they going the way of the tank ?

Whilst the submarine question has been well addressed above, I assure you, the tank isn’t going away. As I recall, the current talk of loitering munitions is the fifth or sixth “death of the tank” after all the previous wonder weapons failed to do it.

That some countries can’t afford to use them any more doesn’t stop them of being the single most capable piece of land hardware a military can own as part of balanced force.

But I also agree with the earlier statement that there is no way we are removing Russia from Crimea. The only country which might do that would be Ukraine, and they’d have to be very creative to do it.

cnocbui wrote: »
    When did the UK or US take down the HSE and release Irish people's personal health details on the internet?

Or annex territory belonging to a sovereign state by force?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Bit of a contradiction here,the UK military is saying it was an innocent passage and the BBC reporter that was on board says it was to make a point to Russia.

• Advertisement

Bit of a contradiction here,the UK military is saying it was an innocent passage and the BBC reporter that was on board says it was to make a point to Russia.

It didn't happen the way Russia claim not the the first time either ,seems the Kremlin propaganda machine has lost a wheel some where

Whilst the submarine question has been well addressed above, I assure you, the tank isn’t going away. As I recall, the current talk of loitering munitions is the fifth or sixth “death of the tank” after all the previous wonder weapons failed to do it.

That some countries can’t afford to use them any more doesn’t stop them of being the single most capable piece of land hardware a military can own as part of balanced force.

But I also agree with the earlier statement that there is no way we are removing Russia from Crimea. The only country which might do that would be Ukraine, and they’d have to be very creative to do it.

And yet every country using MBTs are upgrading or looking to replace older tanks with more modern versions ,tanks are still here to stay how old is the Abrams 40 + and still top of the pile

It didn't happen the way Russia claim not the the first time either ,seems the Kremlin propaganda machine has lost a wheel some where

You haven't addressed my point,its the first thing that jumped out at me when i read this story earlier..

Both as bad as each other in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In fairness, there is a massive NATO fleet heading into the Black Sea for a big exercise involving Ukraine, which is bound to upset Russia.

However that doesn't excuse aggressive and reckless behaviour like this in international waters and its long past time Russia were ejected from Crimea one way or the other.

Why does the majority of EU states and the U.S recognise Kosovo's succession but not Crimea's?

“The Royal Navy ship is conducting innocent passage through Ukrainian territorial waters in accordance with international law."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40320524.html

00.10 of the audio of the BBC reporter on board

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57589366

Someone needs to get their story straight....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Labaik wrote: »
    Why does the majority of EU states and the U.S recognise Kosovo's succession but not Crimea's?

Because Kovoso susceeded and Crimea was invaded. Simples.

paul71 wrote: »
    Because Kovoso susceeded and Crimea was invaded. Simples.

Well when the world police is doing the same all around the world your not going to get a utopian universe where every country respects each others borders. One must look at there own wrong doings before they point the finger at others ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Should never have had happened, combined with the war in Iraq it put Russian NATO relation back 25 years. Putin was actually best pals with Bush, even had a sleep over at Bushes Texas ranch, up until those idiot decisions.

🙈🙉🙊

cnocbui wrote: »

The Russian state done that? Wow.

• Advertisement

Well when the world police is doing the same all around the world your not going to get a utopian universe where every country respects each others borders. One must look at there own wrong doings before they point the finger at others ;)

America bad ,russia good yada yada yada

Advertisement