Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fire warning shots at British Navy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

That is some stretch of the imagination - poster above gave a pretty simple and accurate clarification if your very confused.

I am sorry I thought you had quoted my post. I see you quoted the previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Big lose for the UK actually. The Brits looked like they shat their pants when confronted and head for the hills. I suppose it wasn't a few lads in a Toyota Hilux, a few AK47's and some black flags so they weren't really up for it. :pac:

Rule Brittania indeed.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

paul71 wrote: »
    The status of Northern Ireland is subject to a binding international agreement between 2 democratic governments, whereby the British government must hold hold a referendum where it appears that a majority in the North would prefer a change in their status.

The status of Crimea was determined by the miltary invasion of the sovereign territory of a democratic state by a dictatorship.

Instead of your flawed analogy I would vention to say a more accurate analogy would be if the UK decided to invade and annex the parts of Donegal or Monaghan that retain majority Unionist populations.

The status of NI was only ratified by a referendum on both sides in 1998.
    So by that reasoning, NI was no different to Crimea prior to that agreement GFA).

i.e., NI was annexed by gerrymandering on sectarian grounds no different to Crimea. I'm not a Russian apologist btw, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards.

Oh, an Russia isn't a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So by that reasoning, NI was no different to Crimea prior to that agreement GFA).

i.e., NI was annexed by gerrymandering on sectarian grounds no different to Crimea. I'm not a Russian apologist btw, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards.

So you are using an invasion 100's of years ago (when the brits controlled the whole island is the start of what became NI in fairness) to say that you support russian aggression now???

Strange standard you set there

In what sense? Stealing others land is a thing of the past, civilization has progressed thankfully.

Sadly poor little ruskies haven't, like I said going the way of North Korea these days.

They act the maggot and deserve to be called out for it and the civilized world should do all it can to punish them accordingly. Mind you going green will do that quick enough.

So no other countries steal land?

The Palestinians might disagree with you on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

It does look an awful lot like a dictatorship.

You know with the same incredibly rich, authoritarian, strongman in power for over 20 years.

(In person, or indirectly through his meat puppet Medvedev.)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

paul71 wrote: »

Are they good places today? No, but without at least the effort that was made they would be Syria.

You wont get your heart cut out or head chopped off for being a Catholic in Syrian territory under the control of Assad. Libya on the other hand.....

So no other countries steal land?

The Palestinians might disagree with you on that one.

Fully agree, oversight on my part and in fairness response was in error to a poster responding to me in error.

I am no fan of israel specifically because of this.

Other nations bad actions are no excuse of the dirty rat actions of the russian state. They know that having a nuclear arsenal allows them to get away with a lot and use that too much.

Why are so many posters here using other nations evil to defend russian evil??

I am confused by such a standpoint.

Labaik wrote: »
    You wont get your heart cut out or head chopped off for being a Catholic in Syrian territory under the control of Assad. Libya on the other hand.....

Are you still trying to defend dirty russian actions??

Well fair play I suppose, takes a strong mind to defend the indefensible.

Are you still trying to defend dirty russian actions??

Well fair play I suppose, takes a strong mind to defend the indefensible.

You must of missed the posts where I said i dont defend Russian actions in Crimea.

• Advertisement

Big lose for the UK actually. The Brits looked like they shat their pants when confronted and head for the hills. I suppose it wasn't a few lads in a Toyota Hilux, a few AK47's and some black flags so they weren't really up for it. :pac:

Rule Brittania indeed.

Lol.

There isn’t a man or woman aboard that ship that wasn’t enjoying it.

When you train constantly for this exact scenario (a type 45 destroyer having up to twenty aircraft posing a potential threat) and you finally get to put that training into action with a real live enemy, you don’t have time to shut the bed.

It’s the same when the RAF go up against Russian bears over the north and west of these islands, both sets of pilots are fully focused on the job at hand, but loving every second of it as well. The

Fully agree, oversight on my part and in fairness response was in error to a poster responding to me in error.

I am no fan of israel specifically because of this.

Other nations bad actions are no excuse of the dirty rat actions of the russian state. They know that having a nuclear arsenal allows them to get away with a lot and use that too much.

Why are so many posters here using other nations evil to defend russian evil??

I am confused by such a standpoint.

I'm not defending Russia, I just don't see them.as the boogy man that some seem to. As far as I'm concerned they are doing nothing worse than America, Britain, Israel have or are doing.

You must of missed the posts where I said i dont defend Russian actions in Crimea.

I did most certainly.

In that case we are most likely aligned that russians are being modern day sh1tbags just like Israel.

The UK and US have and will be again - though they do a better job on the international propaganda front.

The UK and US have and will be again - though they do a better job on the international propaganda front.

Correct. Western media do a great job of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wait till that flotilla gets to the South China sea and the presence of maybe 10,000 "fishing boats" like the ones in the Philippines

https://news.mongabay.com/2021/03/chinese-fishing-fleet-anchored-on-philippine-reef-raises-tensions/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Correct. Western media do a great job of that.

When you say western media these days - do you mean the world reaching media on multiple platforms?

Is the only non western media the state runs ones in countries like russia, china and NK?

Serious question by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I did most certainly.

In that case we are most likely aligned that russians are being modern day sh1tbags just like Israel.

Likely Russia is doing worst in syria and elsewhere just no one brave enough or would live to tell the tale, unlike Israel amonst countries who want to wipe them off the face of the earth who does allow reporting.

Russia/China kills and censures journalists so dont have to worry about propaganda in there pretend freeworld societies laughing at the west's freedoms and human rights entitlements

If you hate the west why do you live here? assuming you do

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Big lose for the UK actually. The Brits looked like they shat their pants when confronted and head for the hills. .

They never changed course despite being heavily outnumbered ,and more or less surrounded .
    They stayed there course ,

Russians backed down

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Gatling wrote: »
    They never changed course despite being heavily outnumbered ,and more or less surrounded .
    They stayed there course ,

Russians backed down

They looked pretty freaked in the BBC video,like why is our government after sending us here for,**** just got real,real fast....provocation that's why
    Instead of handing them out white protective clothing they should have supplied them with new jocks aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

They looked pretty freaked in the BBC video,like why is our government after sending us here for,**** just got real,real fast....provocation that's why
    Instead of handing them out white protective clothing they should have supplied them with new jocks aswell

Ridiculous comment! What makes you think they are afraid. Potential combat is a high energy, high adrenaline scenario. Did you expect them to look like they are lounging on the beach sipping beers or something.

The British military is a highly trained, all volunteer, heavily armed force. There is no doubting the Russian military is a force to be reckoned with, but portraying the British as ‘****ting their pants’ is just idiocy.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They looked pretty freaked in the BBC video,like why is our government after sending us here

They are professional naval personal doing what they are paid to .
    Much like the bots on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course the guys on the ship were afraid, the Russian army was threatening them, naturally they were very nervous. Anyone would be. Thankfully it didn't escalate further.

Gatling wrote: »
    They are professional naval personal doing what they are paid to .
    Much like the bots on here

0.10.....looks like anxiety etched on those young faces..

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57587777

In fairness they're miles from home,on their lonesome with rissian jets circling them....easy pickings,like a sitting duck I'd be bricking it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Why is Britain putting a warship near Crimea?
    Looking for fight.

0.10.....looks like anxiety etched on those young faces..

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-57587777

In fairness they're miles from home,on their lonesome with rissian jets circling them....easy pickings,like a sitting duck I'd be bricking it too

Nervous does not equal "bricking it". They know that one wrong move by either side could trigger a war, of course tensions are going to be running high.

Amazing how many keyboard warriors are able to "know" how anyone in that situation was feeling :rolleyes:

Nervous does not equal "bricking it". They know that one wrong move by either side could trigger a war, of course tensions are going to be running high.

Amazing how many keyboard warriors are able to "know" how anyone in that situation was feeling :rolleyes:

Well they probably should have thought of that before setting sail to cause provocation

Well they probably should have thought of that before setting sail to cause provocation

You mean sailing in international waters? How terrible of them :rolleyes:

You mean sailing in international waters? How terrible of them :rolleyes:

You'd want to be a dufus to not believe they deliberately set out to stir some ****....and they got it, they even had a BBC reporter on board, how convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Russia now threatening they really will bomb them next time if they try that again. And they will bring along their mummy to watch next ttime to prove they won too.

Have we any evidence of these bombs being dropped in the path of the ship? Haven't seen any footage of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You'd want to be a dufus to not believe they deliberately set out to stir some ****....and they got it, they even had a BBC reporter on board, how convenient

They deliberately set out to prove a point and they achieved that objective. There was also a DM reporter, I believe. Yes very convenient to have reporters on hand to counter Russian lies and propaganda.

Advertisement