Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

Your posting is far weirder than their job posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Be careful ! You’ve obviously offended the Newstalk police who will jump on any imagined offence to their great leaders

I think it's the sheer amount of inane nonsense being posted in this thread that people are offended by. The latest contribution by Mr Turnpike is a prime example. Childish rubbish designed for people who revel in knocking everything and feel better about themselves by knocking others. Destroyed this thread.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭The Guru 123

Anyone hear last night's newsround? They were discussing all the over reaction to the Man City Atletico game and Richie made some comment about how the broadcasters were basically stereotyping the Johnny foreigners with their suspect Latin temperament etc. Which was probably correct.

But then he went on to do the exact same thing himself by saying it was they type of commentary that "buys the Sun on holidays and eats chips with every meal". The lack of self awareness is unbelievable. Nathan in fairness called him out on it to which Richie had no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That’s funny, the “hot blooded, fiery, Latin temperament” is, almost, exclusively, reserved for the World Cup and only used for central and South American teams.

Same with questioning the “discipline of subsaharan African” teams. You’d think that sort of thing would be a thing of the past but it still pops up every 4 years, with the World Cup.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I didn't listen to the Newsround on that day, but surely the argument to make was that BT were getting all high and mighty in one sentence and then plugging the sh*t out of a Tyson Fury fight in the next?

Richie has a habit of being a bit of a douche. His opening of the newsround with the line 'Happy Phil Jones Day' was a fairly odd one last night. Something to do with him starting against Liverpool, and Richie finding great mirth in the fact that he is not very good. Joe put an end to it fairly quickly with an understated if pointed put down and a reminder of an interview Jones had done recently outlining the impact of all the abuse he gets had on him and his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That comment is a type of comment you'd see in the lads group chat where you all support Utd and you know Jones is a bit of a meme but for a broadcaster on national radio to come out with it shows terrible judgement. The same lad that would be shouting off about James McLean getting abused.

Who's the idiot woman on this evening? Joe was on about detail... And said he's into self help books and went on to give examples such as a company focusing on safety and they all focus on safety and he gave other examples from them.... Then a couple minute later idiot woman says I want to know what you learned Joe and Joe literally said "what do you want me to say...." after he gave examples of what he read in the books...

And I was sitting here eating a bag of chips in the car listening to football and then I hear John Giles is on... Disaster... Going back to last weekends fa Cup!

Giles is so out of date. He's saying the manager should be the one picking transfer targets and if dofs are so good why doesn't he manage the team.

Has just said dyche has had Burnley in a relegation fight every season. Just a few seasons ago they finished 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Did OTB have Mark Lawerson on on Wednesday morning and later that night for the football show or was it a re-run? They’ve got some really good people on to talk about United in Andy Mitten and Daniel Harris but roll out Mark Lawerson and Phil Thompson for any Liverpool content.

i suppose it’s not surprising considering they have Alan Quinlan on twice a week and then gave him his own show to talk pretty much about 5 teams. Talk about overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

There seems to be a lack of good Liverpool focused journalists available so they have to use ex-players. Andy Mitten, Phil Hay, Sam Lee and Andrew Mangan are some good contributors on their respective clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

They have Caoimhe O'Neil who writes about Liverpool for The Athletic on recently although I find she is a little too fawning about how great Klopp and Liverpool are although that could just me being a depressed Manchester United fan

I agree with you on that. But thinking about it, I find the same for Sasha Guryenov who appears on the Totally Football Show. He's knowledgeable but he is a Liverpool fan and slips into fan mode too regularly, often linking conversations, which had nothing to do with Liverpool, back to Liverpool somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FindState

Jesus they've Aisling O'Reilly on AM. They must have been desperate.

She is so painful. What is that horrible accent?

They had Sam Lee on the other night, he's a City reporter for the Athletic. The man shouldn't be on radio, really tough to listen to him speak.

His content was alright but just his way of speaking was hard to listen to.

Thought Joe bringing up Patrice Evras comments about Pep lowered the quality of the conversation. Evras comments were braindead.

Pep's record of winning the CL isn't great, largely because he tends to overthink things. For example last year in the final he dropped Rodri and played Gundogan and they were wide open at the back. He's done things like that nearly every year...until this season. This season was just a bad finish. Like Grealish had one shot miraculously cleared off the line and another Courtois saved with his studs.

And people criticising him for taking off KDB? That's what managers do to shore up teams going into the last few minutes. No one criticised Ancelotti when he took off Benzema before the end of extra time despite there being a chance of penalties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Who's the woman hosting that pod they just played a clip of discussing the women's super league? Voice like nails on a chalkboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Common trait among most of the female hosts for some reason

Excellent interview with Tommie Gorman this evening.

Don't really understand the chronology of events in Saipan. Roy going on about being accused of faking injury etc. When was this? When did it all kick off. Was it when they got over there Roy laid into it in the Irish Times? I believe Roy came back but was then kicked back out by McCarthy. Why was this?

Joe Molloy is an top class broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Roy firstly wanted to leave citing “personal problems”, that came on the back of an argument with Alan Kelly and packie Bonner in training. Roy then did a u-turn and wanted to stay.

after that he did an interview with Paul Kimmage and Tom humphries. He gave out about the training base, lack of balls and training kit, ambition of his team mates or lack thereof and hinted he would retire from Ireland after the World Cup.

roy thought the content of the interview was perfectly fine which is where Roy’s world differs from right thinking people. We would later see this in his acrimonious departure from man utd and the arguments that happened with fellow players and staff there.

mick called a team meeting and had the interview in the paper under his arm, saying it was unacceptable. Roy had a go back. Mick accused him of picking and choosing the games he was fit for. Roy went into his red zone mood and lambasted mick as a player and manager.

Roy was sent home, it was too late to call in a replacement, everybody in the country went into meltdown. roy done the interview with tommie Gorman. That’s about it.

mick called a team meeting and had the interview in the paper under his arm, saying it was unacceptable. Roy had a go back. Mick accused him of picking and choosing the games he was fit for. Roy went into his red zone mood and lambasted mick as a player and manager.

So roy had the argument with Kelly and Bonner, then went to the IT and complained about conditions.

Mick didn't like this so called a team meeting where he accused Roy of missing games when not injured, Keane blasted him for it and then got sent home and then had an interview already lined up for after the team meeting where he would say Roys comments in the IT were not right.

That correct?

Not sure about mick already having a interview lined up. Roy said they had a Press conference 15 minutes after the infamous meeting. That seems unlikely unless it was already a pre appointed presser.

it might be coming across I blame Roy.. I don’t really..Irish football is the poor man of Europe, third world facilities and a that’ll do attitude. That hasn’t changed and extends to the Irish opinion of all professional sport in my opinion.

Roy was an extremely difficult unreasonable character but Saipan was just a by product of 50 or so years of Ireland underinvestment in football and sport in general

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always found it disappointing that neither management, nor other players, saw anything wrong with flying coach or being provided with substandard facilities.

The games Keane was accused of feigning injury for were friendlies, it wasn’t like he was “crying off” from important matches. Ones I, personally, wouldn’t think he should be playing anyway.

“Win or lose, we’re on the booze” is a fine mantra for the fans but for a team and management to have the mentality that they’re only there to make up the numbers is very disappointing. Having to captain it, as well, when you’re a fierce competitor, would be crushing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I may be wrong but the game he was accused of feigning injury for was the second playoff against Iran away, we were 2-0 ahead going into if iIrc

Advertisement