Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Difficult to reconcile your angle with reality.

One is someone employed in a public facing role by a large organisation with presumably plenty of access to both legal and media experts.

The other is an amateur sportsperson who also works a regular job in a hospital. And a regular job that most on here would probably look down on.

How is it you think it is the latter who has overpaid pr consultants. Plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

No, they claim to be asylum seekers.

You don't tear up travel documents for no reason.

So he is going to take responsibility for his actions and the actions of his younger self? Going to resign his job then?

Or does tweeting a statement saying "I have to take responsibility for something" actually constitute taking responsibility for it now?

He is the one claiming he has to take responsibility for those past actions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

He was in ucd when he made some of these comments on twitter. He was an adult.

Saying, "going back almost 15 years" isn't true. He's 29.

And he has made a complete fool of himself on lunchtime live.

Why are you still defending him?

Why can't you admit they both did and said silly things on social media and move on???

One rule for me, another for thee.

And then people wonder why there's a rise in the right. People are sick of the woke hypocrites.

• Advertisement

He probably didn't even realise the irony of using derogatory words against people with learning disabilities, all the while only being able to get enough points to go to UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's not just a whiff of controversy. It's simply having any kind of opinion that doesn't align with their world view.

I do find OTB's wading into political topics annoying. And that's not to say that they can't or shouldn't comment on politics but they dedicate significant portions of the show regularly to political topics of the day. I don't want or need to know their views on Brexit, Ukraine, migration et al but they continue to segue into these areas. It's put me right off.

That and the excessive rugby coverage and fawning over Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

OTB is full of them and there’s a fair few of their supporters on here forever leaping to their defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

If you ask me, the bigger hypocrite is someone who takes money as a brand ambassador for community and diversity campaigns but then espouses values opposite of that on social media.

If she has in her own mind legitimate concerns about immigration fair enough but don’t accept payment for a role that advocates all forms of inclusivity.

I’d have more respect for her if she actually explained her own views and stood by them rather than dodge the question for the sake of keeping a bit of sponsorship money.

The lesson from this is, don’t take a “woke” ambassador role if you don’t agree with the “woke” agenda. Better off becoming a brand ambassador for a car or soft drinks company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Heard other OTB lads saying they never flag questions to anyone before interviews.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Speaking to friends in the media and they would usually only send questions if asked and it would be more a list of possible topics than specific questions. An interviewee can say something that completely changes the direction an interviewer was going to take and possible questions you were going to ask goes out the window. If you're doing an interview and don't want to discuss a topic you raise it beforehand or are have an answer prepared.

I didn't know that accepting an offer of a promotion with Spar means you have to support open borders?

One may actually look at it that someone wanting to protect people from attack are looking out for their community, more than those that support bogus asylum seekers and illegal immigrants.

The logic would be the same as saying you'd be a hypocrite to be volunteering on your local village tody towns committee if you mention anything about trying to have a common sense approach to check people as much as feasibly possible.

I mean how could you really be concerned about your local community if you suggested that better systems need to be in place to process IP applicants more swiftly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I wonder how long before the show do the presenters put on their woke faces ?

They had a piece on last year where they were agreeing with a female footballer that they should get more or less the same money as male footballers, they were saying well you train just as hard, the quality has vastly improved,. No mention of 800 people in a 25,000 stadium, where prices are very low with kids going free, bringing in less sponsors but of course it's not right/ woke to ask them kind of questions,

You just know with a group of lads they're probably taking the piss out of woman's soccer, watching it on YouTube, but then, we're on shortly lads game/woke faces on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It isn't a comparison. What he said was offensive and one wonders at what age did he grow out of having those views.

Some more tweets and retweets coming out from Shane Hannon and more recently.

One wonders will Newstalk hold onto him given the current climate?

Racism, homophobia, transphobia, making fun of people with disabilities.

He seems like a real class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I note Gavin Riley, number 1 do gooder tweeter, passing off as journalism, has deleted a tweet under the interview. He posted "machete" under it. Now deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

This. Acting as if they debate WSL and W6N down at the pub when in reality they're fooling no one, nothing more than a homework assignment.

You'd wonder how many switch to other channels for this, last night was full of it. Stick it on a podcast but jesus are ye trying to lose live audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Second hour last night dedicated entirely to the Women's Six Nations. And the latest trend is updates on women's soccer in the UK or Europe even when there's no Irish involvement. How many Off the Ball listeners were interested in updates from Wolfsburg Ladies against Paris St Germain Feminines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Newstalk in general has become horrific to listen to. No enjoyment in listening to their sports coverage anymore, they are all about ticking boxes on every topic possible and balancing the gender quotas to the point it becomes unpleasant to listen to. I don't know if Bauer media are forcing this agenda down their necks. There is also the constant crossover between Newstalk journos, Virgin Media and their churning of the same old Z list Irish celebs sending out this chronic outraged PC woke message. Would quiet happily see Newstalk go under eventually, horrible station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They were afraid to have any meaningful discussion on the LGFA decision to allow somebody who was a man a few years ago play competitive football against other women.

Either they didn't hear about the story, didn't care because it's a women's sport and didn't warrant their time or they were afraid to talk a out it in case they had to say anything controversial that may have led to a twitter pile on

And these tweets expose that they probably don't give a toss about women's sport in their private life.

Well, we already suspected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can someone link me to Hannon's tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I noticed the past two days that Today FM sports bulletins in the morning were leading with women's sports stories. Yesterday the majority of the bulletin was women's sports news (assuming they want to keep it all together), while today led with the Women's Six Nations ahead of the men's EC quarter finals.

I think it's a good thing that women's sport is being reported on in the bulletins. But they are deluding themselves that any of the stories they were reporting on were headline news.

And I wanna be clear here... I'm not talking from a perspective about anything to do with the W word (despise the word and think anyone using it as an accusation is a weapon).

But they need to be reporting in a way that is honest about what is the big sports story of the day, as opposed to being seen to put women's sports top of the bulletin because they think it is showing them as progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Today FM bulletins would be scripted and for the most part presented by OTB staff. Fully agree with your post, RTE sport going down the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

This. I've been listening to Newstalk for years, but in the past 2 years or so, and especially the past year, it has become not only ultra woke, but obsessed with American college-style soundbite politics. Pat Kenny now shoehorns Trump into literally every show, regardless of the topic - when I'm in the car I now give an ironic cheer every time Pat manages to mention Trump, and I cannot remember the last time he went an entire show without doing so - why? What has an ex-president of America to do with us? Shane Coleman is similar - awkwardly bending over backwards to mention some woke keyword, regardless of the topic "and now we have a story about the price of spuds in Donegal, a subject that reminds me of why Brexit causes such triggering feelings of Trumpism in the lgbtq community"

Ok lads, we know you're down with the yoof, but give it a rest sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

..but they have a winning formula. It is the most listened to Irish radio show in its time slot and has been for years. It is the only independent radio show that beats RTE radio in the ratings. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but you personally not liking it means **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

They are now, that may not always be the case. There is a lag from the time things start going wrong, to the time it's noticeable, and frequently by the time it's noticeable, it's very difficult to stop the rot, as many a football manager knows, and Malcolm Gladwell has made a lot of money pointing out. As a former avid listener, I fear they may have killed their golden goose, or at least wounded it.

Advertisement