Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Did the survey last and said I wouldn't pay and doubt many others would at that price point. Assume it means shows like the previous nights football show will no longer be free? Wonder will golf weekly fall in under this as well or stay standalone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Not sure where that price point has come from. Thought €5 was the standard for most podcasts of this type.

I have smaller fish and second captains for the same price as one off the ball. It won’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

It’s the only pod I pay too as it’s very good.in fairness to wooly he has good contributors to the pod in hurling and the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Get woke go broke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lack of notice is extremely poor form, price quiet high too.

€10 a month over Sept/Oct wouldn't be worth it for someone with little rugby interest with the world cup taking over airwaves, similarly in the summer for people who don't follow GAA. Also need to have the right presenters for the sport, I honestly would be more knowledgeable on hurling than every host bar Will O'Callaghan.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lack of notice is a bit of a fcuk you to their loyal listeners. Intimate relationship my hole.

Can't even listen to it on my usual podcast app for a tenner a month. Thanks but no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ten quid is a bit saucy. Sure they have a lot of content but id only listen to bits and pieces. I wont be stretching to another tenner on top of netflix, prime spotify and youtube.

Its not worth a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very odd how they've only given 24 hours notice. These type of things are usually well flagged in advance. Seems like they are trying to squeeze it in ahead of the Premier League returning. And to a lesser extent the Rugby World Cup in a few weeks time.

Also that price point is quite high. Surely better to start at €5 and attract more punters in early and then you can review an increase after 12 to 18 months. I think €10 will put a lot of punters off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just watched this. It's actually a bit confusing still as to what will be available free or not, seems everything is pay walled?

This really comes across as last minute, not fully thought out. Ger really pushing the not government funded line, and I don't think Joe seemed very happy about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

You wouldn’t mind if OTB were proper investigative reporters but they’re all just a bunch of lads sitting around a table going “yeah Klopp needs to take the finger out” or whatever. It’s all commentary and not particularly interesting or insightful commentary at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They spend half the show having “bantz” with each other and having a giggle at their own private jokes.

Especially on a day with little sport they really drag out the shyte talking and nonsense when they should just shorten the show.

Does anyone remember the crowd that were on before them? Three captains or something? Didnt they do something equally stupid and go off the radar then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Second Captains have been ridiculously successful with this model. Pretty sure they have over 10k subscribers paying €5 per month.

The model can work but €10 a month smacks of arrogance from OTB probably looking at Second Captains and thinking oh we are way better than them and look at all the extra content we put out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Yeah, those second captains boys messed up royally. Only pulling in near on a million euro for that podcast of theirs. Imagine what they could be making if they stuck with Newstalk.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They are in no way progressive enough to warrant €120 per annum. Their main "in" is probably access to certain gaa players, and the vastness of the range of sports they touch on, but they've never really been in-depth or investigative.

For rugby, which would be my main sport, they are a myriad of other free podcasts out there which would be more more in-depth and specific than OTB.

I'll miss Andy Dunne, but I certainly won't miss Williams, Thornley, wood etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

What’s gilroy after apologising for on the show today.bit late watching and just catching up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Disappointing to hear they are going behind a paywall. And such short notice and a hefty €9.99 by podcast standards it smacks of pure greed. I will miss the GAA and football coverage but have no interest in all the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I listen back to the occasional AM stuff and might tune in 2 or 3 hours total between the evening and weekend shows.

What I've felt is that they have spread themselves too thin. There are too many presenters and a lot of them are simply not good broadcasters.

I think 90 minutes in the morning and 2 hours in the evening would be grand. Wouldn't need as many presenters and better quality would ensue.

I can't see many subscribers at a tenner a month for what they produce at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I genuinely don’t think I could be paid €500 a month to listen to Shane Hannon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Most of what I listen/watch is bits of OTB am delayed, whenever I get up, on youtube. But with that option gone, then so am I. Not worth paying for. If Sheahan was still there, it might be worth a few quid, but definitely not what they're charging.

I doubt whoever said they were willing to pay for content, on this survey, imagined it would be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Wonder will the golf pod be part of that package ? If so it woudn't be to bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Funniest thing for me is people sniping at OTB team for being woke or SJW and the likes.

Like, have you ever listened to a Second Captains pod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's mystifying to me why anyone would pay money for a sports podcast of any kind.Sports talk is massively over saturated now and it's just the same people repeating the same opinions over and over again, once you've heard one episode of any sports talk show you can pretty much predict what the contributors opinion will be on everything going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So they are charging €9.99 a month to listen back to what they broadcast on the radio (along with a handful of standalone podcasts)?

I listen to some of their podcasts as a form of noise cancellation at work but I won't necessarily miss them tbh (apart maybe from the GAA pod) and I certainly won't be paying for them

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I presume its still on the radio every night at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

Not sure where this leaves the Go Loud app and the listen back options.......I would really only listen (during the season) to the football podcast so couldn't justify paying a fairly hefty (as someone else has noted) by podcast standards €9.99 a month for the rest of their content.

I listened to Ger Gilroy's very expansive justification (why use 1 word when you can use 100) but as others have said there are certain parts I like and others that you couldn't pay me €10 a month to listen to. It takes me more time to clear off the podcasts I'm not interested in from my feed than I spend listening so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am not paying 9.99 to listen to Golf Weekly. I'm just about willing to pay 3.99 and have zero interest in the other stuff they produce. They'll lose a sub if they put it there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

All very weird they way it’s started mid month and such short notice. I pay for the42 cause I like the content, I’d have paid a few euro for OTB during RWC probably. But not €10 for a load of filler. I like the rugby waffle and Sunday paper review depending who’s on. Think they’ve massively over priced it. SC even give a few free pods a week. Time will tell, but not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

There are a lot of presenters on OTB and it seems that bauer media have not been able to cover costs/ make a return. Bauer media it looks like they have decided that it has to pay its way. The rushed introduction seems like a head office decision to get it out before the World cup.

For me personally and similar to the 42 I won't be subscribing tonnes of free content out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

This price tag is dependant on the brand but unfortunately for OTB, the hosts are the nuts and bolts here. Outside of Joe Molloy the rest may aswell be 10 Shane Hannons, and somebody has already commented on paying to hear that.

Michael last night calling the USA/Sweden women's shootout the greatest he has ever seen is not the recency bias / opinions I'd be forking my cash out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Second Captains says otherwise. It's excellent (apart from their rugby)

Advertisement