Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The “ladz bantz” sesh in full effect at the moment.

Wheezing out the fake laughter at bowls and wall climbing.

real “1st year Ag student on his 3rd bulmers” vibe off this section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I'm a bit late to the party here but christ almighty. One thing moving to a subscription service, but to do it at €10pm is completely out of touch. The lack of notice, doing it at a time when people are struggling for money and costs are high, and the confusion about whats included in the sub....what a mess all round. I cannot see this being successful. Funny enough I've only started listening to the Saturday football show recently and quite liked that, even if it was very cringey at times. But certainly won't be paying for it. If the Sunday Paper Review is gone to the sub I'll be very sad, always looked forward to listening to that on Sunday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'll miss the newsround, nice light review of the days news especially if you've been out and about and didn't get a chance to catch up, I'll miss slight tangent and when Gerry Thornley and Andy Dunne are on together, everything else can easily be replaced.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

I miss Monday night rugby and the Wednesday stuff. No way I'm paying tho. Anybody recommend a good rugby pod with an Irish slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Left wing with the Indo, Joe.ie do a weekly 1 during the season, RTE do a pod 1st a week. Second Captains usually have a Monday pod covering rugby during Six Nations, World Cup etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

A Slight Tangent is good but it'll be on the live show. Remember there are apps which you can record live radio and listen back to at a later time. Not ideal but an option.

I think the Sunday Paper review being behind a paywall and not on live is probably the only thing which is a big loss. But I can go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Listening on the radio tonight and think they are scrambling a bit as I'd say subscriptions aren't what they expected.

Now they have an offer of 12 months for the price of 10

You can also get 3 free podcasts per month in the official OTB sports app presumably trying to entice more people to sign up by giving some content away free. Will download the app just to get my 3 free podcasts, still not paying

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Nah. I'll stick with the live radio. If I miss it so be it.

• Advertisement

Has anyone signed up for the subscription?

Or do you know of anyone who has signed up?

For me I have not signed up (still considering but chances are low) and nobody in my circle of acquaintances has signed either as far as i am aware.

This could be the fastest u-turn in history and I'll be delighted to see Ger "Its only a tenner a month" wince after his arrogance and confidence that all he had to do was click his fingers and people would sign up.

Great news though - I'll get the Sunday Papers back as one of my 3 podcasts then. And The Hurling Pod when it returns next year.

Otherwise, I've already found plenty of top quality content to keep me occupied when I am running/walking/driving so don't feel I need them.

Don't know one person who has signed up. They were laughed out of it when they wanted a tenner a month in my circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

no mention of that offer originally afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

I suspect it will end up something like the Athletic (or Carpetright for that matter) where there is perpetually a discounted price and no one ever pays the full €10 a month. I can't see them reversing out of the subscription model, just keeping it at such a low level that it might be worth considering. They seem to have closed off the loophole of the goloud website being open to play podcasts without charge but tbh like most of the posts there is enough content out there that I listen to for free (and some where I pay a sub but nothing like €10 a month) that I couldn't justify paying over what they are looking for. Be interested to see what happens anyway........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If they were struggling with subscriber numbers, how long before they'd need to consider a u-turn or some action?

If it was me, I'd assume that you'd give it a month to see (to allow people to miss pods and go look for them, or to get paid/etc) but not much longer. In 1 month the Premier league will be well underway and the rugby world cup will be starting. If you can't attract subs then, when will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

First month is free so they won't even know the real numbers until month 2 of this at the earliest. I've signed up but cancelled the card on Revolut so I can never be charged incase I forget to cancel the sub.

I imagine you've to give this at least 6 months.

They'll probably dig in for a few months, it'd be humiliating for them if they don't. Plus the revenue being generated by the live show will probably keep the ship afloat, albeit they are on at a time of day where listener numbers must be not great.

Hence they need the podcast / listen back model to keep cash flowing. Its hard to know whether it was a belligerent cash grab or whether they are running out of cash - I would say most likely the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is OTB completely separate to the wider newstalk? Do they need to fund themselves entirely independent to the main radio station?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Gilroy was on the drivetime show on Newstalk last Friday and he explained Off the Ball as a separate company to Newstalk with separate profit and loss accounts etc.

I don't know how it works on a corporate level, are they basically paid to do sports on a contract basis across the Bauer stations.

But he said they don't have the same funding as a sports department in other radio stations, I think he said advertising is their only income source and it's unreliable as a main income source

Hence the need for people to overpay by giving a tenner a month for Joe Molloy and a range of B, C and D level presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

When I hear Joe Molloy doing a few chats on the football show like talking to a German football correspondent about Bayern Munich, I realise I'll miss the option to listen back if I miss bits from the live show. But when I hear the others presenting, I never think that a subscription is worth it.

But there's bound to be other football pods who can manage to get good football correspondents and interview them professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Second captains did the same and now they are largely ignored. I have no idea how successful or profitable they are now.

The problem is, Ireland is a small market.

Often wondered about this too. So who is the ultimate owner of 'Off The Ball' company/brand - is it Gilroy or is he just an employee. He is listed as MD.

I'm sure you're referring to the very brilliant Rafa Honigstein. Always enjoy hearing his views - well informed and provides great insight without the hyperbole you get from some. No ego there. He's a regular contributor to the 'Euro leagues' show on BBC 5. It's on every Thursday at 9pm for an hour and also available on BBC sounds I believe. Well worth a listen as they always have good correspondents on their respective leagues, as well as decent guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Doesn't Rafa regularly turn up on The Totally Football show with James Richardson? Which is free.

Suspect he's on a few different podcasts/shows. I'm sure he was on the guardian pod as well, but I haven't listened in quite a while.

Ultimately, pretty sure all their non-Irish football contributors can be found on other outlets for free. It's just a matter of locating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just paid themselves €110k in 2021 each. If that's ignored, sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

They are largely ignored....

Next line...

I've no idea how successful they are.

• Advertisement

He used to be on The Guardian one but went with the Jimbo crowd when they split.

But basically every football contributor bar Graham Hunter (thankfully) on OTB is regularly on either Football Weekly or Totally Football.

Advertisement