Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tuned in at 7pm this evening and I think it was Richie McCormack, Mick McCarthy and Kathleen McNamee... I lasted a few minutes and then switched on some music.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Having thought more about this, the timing of the paywall being introduced makes no sense at all. I don't have any interest in soccer so I'm going on what others are saying, but it appears that there are multiple alternative podcasts available for free so soccer fans are well catered for anyway.

My sporting interests would be GAA, rugby and horse racing. The inter county GAA season is now over so I'm not missing out on anything there. I actually think this is where they could have had an impact as they put out more hours than any other podcast. I wouldn't have listened to it all, I seem to be in minority but I can't stand James Skehill so anything with his name in the description was automatically deleted. The biggest urge for me to subscribe will be next Jan/Feb as the alternatives all have flaws such as a paywall (Examiner/Smaller Fish/Second Captains), poor quality (GAA hour/RTE) or only one hour per week (Independent/Gaelic Games statsman). Newstalk had a club hour last year but as each county has their own championship in both codes it's impossible to cover enough so there was no way that could be all things to all men.

I enjoyed the rugby coverage but all attention over the next two months will be the world cup and that will be covered by plenty free UK podcasts who do not ignore Ireland either. Personally I like BBC rugby weekly (which is now daily for the world cup) and The Rugby Pod. RTE rugby is ok, not as good as it was but worth a listen. Again the timing is strange as fans can make up for any world cup coverage.

Friday night racing was quietly dropped a while ago so I'm not losing out on anything there.

What Newstalk could do was cover the sports that get less coverage traditionally, such as athletics. But that's not enough to warrant a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Barstool banter about Nathan Murphy being in a Robbie Williams video and other riveting tales like that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Left Wing from the Indo is good for Rugby if you want Irish coverage. Ruadhri O'Connor and Cian Tracey would be on OTB a lot of the time anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

TBF i often think Richie would be much happier listening to/playing music than talking about sport

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Good shout. Irish times used to have a sports podcast too with G Thornley a regular on it. They might do a World Cup run of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Listening to Wednesday night rugby ,Fiona Hayes just speaks so fast ,no pause . Really hard to listen to. Also she really doesn't add much insight,just states obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Horse84

What’s the story with Richie phoning it in constantly from home? Very strange actually seeing him in a studio now. Agree with previous poster, I thought the programme yday evening was absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

He's generally only in studio when Joe Molloy isn't on covering him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Second Captains will probably have a free rugby pod every Monday during the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Second Captains coverage of rugby is incredibly boring.

I mainly listen for whatever Ken has to say and a handful of football guests. The rest is a pretty tame offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Personal opinion but I don't like the sound of the Second Captains lads voices. I think they scream arrogant south Dub for me, even though I'm sure they aren't. I don't know why, I could never quite put my finger on it but I never warmed to them.

I feel everybody is viewed in a different prism once they are expecting me to pony up cash to listen to them - not one podcast has the quality or USP to make me feel "this is worth paying for" over the quality available for free.

Like who in OTB towers thought people would pay €10 a month to listen to well over half of the garbage they package up and put out there, and thought that people would bite at that cost? It just boggles the mind. 60 hours a week of content is all well and good but very few people have that sort of time to listen so its a moot point. Maybe a better model would have been to have most of the "missable, but listenable" content (e.g. Newsround, A Slight Tangent, Football Show, etc) for free to keep their profile out there, and then have subscription content (e.g. live shows, exclusive interviews with really top people) behind a paywall, and have a few of these per week (e.g. Joe Molloy has a 1.5 hr interview with Dele Alli, arbitary example since he is in my head) and try get people to subscribe €5 a month for that? I'm much more likely to subscribe for that than I am for half of the nonsense that they put out there, and I feel I'll get a good long interview from a top interviewer (Joe being streets ahead of the rest of them) and a good long listen where he can get in to the weeds with some people.

Thank god the Crappy Quiz is behind a paywall, the only way I'd listen to it is if the paywall was reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

The whole paywall thing is working out pretty well for me. It's nearly a month since I've heard Colm Boohig speak.

Been listening more to the Totally Football and the Guardian pods, which are free and much better anyway. And found some others too. Have moved on. When out and about in the evenings, unlike before, I generally don't even think to turn on the live show. OTB has fallen off my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Eoin Sheahan back on OTB AM from next week. Great news for those of us who watch live for free on youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Is the other guy going back to reading the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

According to himself, Shane Hannon is going to be doing Friday mornings with Adrian Barry and Saturdays & Sundays on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭FazyLucker

Is everyone else viewing these guys in a new "these guys think they are worth €10 a month" prism since the paywall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hard not to

I listen to an odd bit of them still on the radio but wouldnt be too pushed about missing then

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭deise man

Yes definitely. Used to listen to a good few of their podcasts on Spotify. Wouldn't dream of paying that much for it. A lot of what they put out is rubbish pub talk. A few of the presenters are just annoying. Plenty of better free podcasts available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

One of the three is from Galway, the other is from Fairview and I'm not sure where the third is. I can't really make sense of what you mean by arrogant South Dub in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

He's not really one of the main guys every day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

No, but it used be a schtick they had way back (probably radio days) when they had him on for rugby.

Ken is from Fairview, Eoin is somewhere in Dublin, same with Simon. Murph is Galway, Mark is Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Ken's from Greenhills Templeogue, Simon Skerries-North County Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Haven't been following the paywall thing.... have the premier league su day games gone? Tuned in for Arsenal utd and I'm getting some discussion nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

A Saturday panel popped up in my rugby feed and I listened, sooooo bad! All I could think was this isn’t worth €1 let alone €10. One was asked ‘who are you looking forward to seeing in RWC’ ‘em, eh Mack Hansen, eh haven’t really thought about it’

brutal stuff, I cannot wait for the RWC, can name at least ten players from various teams that I can’t wait to see and what they do. Ended up turning it off. So many great games to look forward to opening wend alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Advertisement