Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am not saying they choked, I am saying it is worth a discussion on OTB. Its pro sport, it is a ludicrous environment. I don't think someone saying they choked is automatically a troll, it is a valid opinion. Just one you and others disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

You are giving the trolls too much credit. Had Ireland lost to Fiji or Argentina perhaps in a semi final, there would be some point to pointing to the team's mentality. There are four top-class teams in the world cup and two of them beat the other two this weekend. Neither France or Ireland 'choked'. The four teams are playing at a level that would have won most world cups. Its **** outstanding rugby.

What you described earlier are rugby incidents - they happen. They are not evidence of choking. Jordi Barrett choked when he missed a straightforward penalty for NZ....yet it was his intervention that won NZ the game. Tomas Ramos having his conversion blocked down wasn't evidence of choking.

So, yeah, trolls can have their fun. Best of luck to them, but leave the sports discussions to those who are genuinely interested and who aren't deliberately trying to provoke a reaction from fans. You are wasting your time/and your audience's time in believing that they are acting in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The paper review is the one thing I really miss with the podcasts behind a paywall now. They used to focus on good stories and no silly tangents. Just not sure I’m willing to pay €10 a month for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, I'm fine with a discussion on it. Obviously in this case I'm very much in the position of the team not having choked at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd agree Bren, It has to be discussed. Ireland were unable to capitalise during key moments of the game. It's no use beating teams in pool games or during the six nations and then when it comes to the big games every four years we keep failing. Why is that? It's not just one of this things. There was a major failure to handle the pressure on Saturday.

I get the impression from the media commentary that they want to ensure that the "team of us" bandwagon keeps rolling despite the fact that we are now going to lose some key players a mini rebuilding job has to happen.

The coverage by the media has been really really poor, one sided and less than helpful. The debate needs to be had. If we have real notions about being the best team in the world then we need to be cold and cruel with our analysis of why we once again failed.

OTB were the fanboys of this team. The lack of respect they showed toward the All-Blacks last week was stunning. To me the comparison has to be with the English soccer bandwagon media. OTB have shown themselves in a really bad light and can't even admit that they were wrong. Instead they doubled down on their claim that Ireland are still better than NZ despite losing the game that really matters.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Exactly the above is what I wouldn't engage with if I was running a show for serious sports discussion. If I was looking for clickbait, maybe. Media has some educational responsibility with the best commentators able to increase their audience's understanding of what is going on. But there are plenty out there who are only looking to provoke, and have their minds made up before engaging in any debate. Flake away on internet forums, but as a producer of a show, it doesn't mean that every uninformed opinion, no matter how well dressed up, should be answered.

There isn't enough time to educate you why the opinion above is wrong (and you aren't interested in changing your mind anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Again though your reply is just indicative of the way the media and pro "team of us" posters reply to any criticism of the failure of this team and the calling out by the likes of myself of the disgraceful coverage of the world cup especially on OTB.

You just shout down any opposing views and label us as dissenters or anti rugby.

That prevailing attitude and approach will be why Irish Rugby fails to deliver on the biggest stage when it actually matters.

My opinion wrong btw it just doesn't align with the narrative we have been fed about this time and the players who play on it. I'm not in a minority either which is telling.

This is Irelands 10th WC. They have never made it past the QF. They have had much better opportunities in the past but they went into this as the world number 1, they played phenomenal rugby over the last 18th months but they couldn't get it done on Saturday. They underperformed partly because New Zealand were incredibly well prepared but they also underperformed because the occasion got the better of them.

A discussion around how much of it was the occasion (i.e. bottling it) and how good NZ were is a logical discussion to have. Mix in the history with Ireland at a QF and theres nothing trolly about it.

That's great. You and the majority of your like-minded friends can discuss how the media coverage is why Ireland lose at world cup Quarter finals. Doesn't mean I've to listen to it. I'm not shouting you down, but if feeling like the victim helps you, go for it. As I said, you aren't interested in being educated on this.

You're being semi reasonable. I could think of a dozen things that prevented Ireland from winning last Saturday, the main one being they weren't good enough. There are several other aspects worthy of discussion (rotation of squad, turnaround between games, injuries leaving the bench light, Porter's scrummaging, Sexton injured for most of second half, no Henshaw to bring on, back row out of form, Joe Schmidt's role in screwing up our breakdown). All of these were factors but still Jordi Barrett stopped Ireland from winning with an insane play. But instead of discussing these factors, we need to talk about how we choked, because lads on the internet looking for a reaction say so. There were 3 knock ons in the first half. The standard of play from both teams was out of this world. And I'm happy that even if they won, they wouldn't have been good enough to beat SA or Fra in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Conversation gone predictably way off the topic........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Good teams beat each other regularly...

Would ye prefer people to just pop on and say "did ye hear what they were talking about this morning? Hardly worth a tener lol"?

The above belongs on the rugby discussion page. You can take your begrudgery over there......

The fact the wouldn't discuss the begrudgery, ain't bloody worth a tenner is it?

Contact a mod if you've an issue.

Andy Dunne giving brilliant analysis on Off the Ball at the moment. I'd nearly give a tenner a month for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Made a case for kicking more. Those who kicked more, had less possession and fewer rucks have won all the big games in the Wc. Felt Ireland ideally should be more versatile re style of play. Got tired as NZ happy to allow Ireland have the ball more than a lack of player rotation. Would prefer Ireland to have had kicked earlier - but sexton only outhalf than can hurts you after 10 phases. NZ panicky with Irish maul and more touchfinders even with NZ throw ins would have helped. All sensible no bullshit insight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You can listen to three free a month without subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Really nice tribute from BOD to Johnny. Comes across as being quite emotional and upset. Will give advice to Johnny on retirement.

Post edited by hawley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭gluppers

Yeah, I like him. And doesn't have the default rugby accent (see BOD) which is refreshing for working class folk like me. Nor does he use 'phenomenal' as the go to word for anything half decent that happens in rugby

I couldn't give a flying f**k what accent sport stars speak with.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Sign up for full membership and win pizza and cheap beer oh and u get to meet BOD is the latest wheeze to get u to sign up as announced last nite.looks like that all them tenners a month have amounted too

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve seen the team of us mentioned a a lot by the OTB crowd. There follows a brief survey of the Irish World Cup squad by the secondary school the player attended. The fees below are mostly from a survey from a few years ago so likely higher now.

Private schools

School

Annual Fees

Number of players

St. Andrew's College

€7,0501Campbell College (UK)€5,600 approx1Blackrock College€7,1005St Edmund's College (Oz)€5k approx1Clongowes Wood College€23,150 (boarding school)2

St. Michael's College€5,7174South African College Schools€3k approx1Wesley College€6,5501St. Gerard's School Bray

€7,4201Presentation Brothers College Cork

€4,5001St. Mary's College€6,1751Bandon Grammar School€3,4251Daramalan College(Oz)€6,500 approx

Newbridge College€4,5001

Bangor Grammar Schooln/a

Belfast Royal Academyn/a1

Public / state schools

SchoolNumber of players

Good Counsel College1Ardscoil Rís2St Munchin's College2Gisborne Boys' High School (NZ)1Marist College Athlone1Nelson College (NZ)1Manurewa High School (NZ)1

I think we can rule out anyone from the first table. From the second table, there's a bit of a bang of the middle class / aspirational rural Ireland thing from your Murrays and Furlongs. Maybe one of the New Zealand lads? Is Bundee Aki one of the common folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

This upperclass/middle class stuff is an English thing and is sh1tetalk and frankly embarrassing from an Irish person.

An interesting twist. I had kinda put Second Captains to the back of my mind mostly but over the last while I've listened to their stuff again. Jaysus there is a gulf in class and have decided to subscribe. Wouldn't have happened without the change of OTB policy. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Andy Dunne is good. Not a rent a gobsh1te contributor like many of them.

You can tell he actually engages the brain when asked a question.

He takes his time and gives a thoughtful response.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Thought the extracts recorded from the Liam Brady book launch in the Mansion House were really enjoyable. Great stories and Joe’s wonderfully unobtrusive presence to guide it along. Liam certainly has had a remarkable life in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Butson

I thought the post rugby analysis this week was actually very good. Andy Dunne especially.

• Advertisement

I thought the discussion about who Jim Radcliffe was the other night was good to be fair to Richie I think it was? I knew nothing about him.

Is it 3 free listens per month? I seem to have a zero on my app in the top right all the time?

Advertisement