Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sub3wannabe

Is Imane Khelif biologically male?

Lin Yu-ting and Khelif were allowed to compete this year because IOC's regulations allow the admission of athletes with gender diversity and DSDs (differences of sexual development).

The word DSD denotes a group of uncommon conditions connected to a person's estrogens, genes, and reproductive organs. Some people with DSD are brought up in a feminine manner. Moreover, they have male-like blood testosterone levels, their bodies' capacity to use testosterone and XY chromosomes, which are typically present in individuals who are cisgender male (a person declared as male by birth).

As opposed to this, a cisgender female (i.e., assigned female at birth) has XX chromosomes and substantially lower testosterone levels. When compared to cisgender women, cisgender men goes through male puberty and typically have an advantage when it comes to muscle mass, faster twitch muscle, and skeletal structure.

Due to these variations, the typical person has a significant advantage over an ordinary female boxer during athletic performance matches or competitions in other combat sports.

TLDR If you don't believe in safe guards re people with gross biological advantages in combat sports vs a simple XX/XY chromosome rule you're a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Morgans

I don't think you read that.

Interesting twist. Chromosomes are no longer the determining factor in deciding the sex of the individual. So even if you are born biologically female, you CAN be classed as male depending on hormone levels. Seems 180 degrees the opposite to what the right wing talking points have been declaring but there is an argument to be won on the internet.

By all means raise a child with DSD as a male or female depending on your parental instincts. That's obviously your right as a parent and guardian. That does not mean they should be allowed compete vs other peoples daughters and batter them senseless due to their clear biological advantages.This is why you have independent regulation with a responsibility and duty of care something the IOC had clearly failed miserably.

I couldn't care how people parent.

But the standard of your friends would have been that if she's had a uterus or if she doesn't have a penis at birth then she was born and always will be a female regardless of hormone therapy or surgery. That is no longer the standard of someone looks male enough and there's an argument to be won on the internet.

It didn't help when Kellie beat her. Hopefully someone asks Kellie what she thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was the far left that was the ultimate source for that rumor, Alannah Murray of the Rabherta party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ger Gilroy sounded like he was phoning from the bottom of the ocean today, atrocious sound quality

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

sounded awful yesterday too like he was at the bottom of a well.

It’s pretty shoddy for a radio broadcast company to send a reporter out without a proper mic, even poor aul Henry McKeen manages to sound clearer when newstalk gave him out and about on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

On the female boxing issue, I noticed that other media outlets are presenting it as a complex nuanced issue with differing views. (I’d include the likes of RTÉ or BBC in this). One could argue they’re female so entitled to compete. One could argue they have biological advantages which is unfair to the other boxers. Even the IOC and IBA reached different conclusions on this.
    It’s not straightforward.

OTB seem to have missed all nuance in their reporting. It is just two females, and anyone questioning it “has let themselves down”. Nothing to see here, move along.

I think this is one issue they’ve dealt with quite poorly in terms of reporting news.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DireD

there are plenty of irish journalists who have let themselves down in that last 24 hours. plenty of current and ex indo men embarrassing themselves on twitter. the way this woman has been talked about is quite frankly disgraceful. however, i doubt these ghouls will reflect on their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭FazyLucker

Well you see here's the thing - I wasn't around 40 years ago and thought it was great to hear his memories. I bet there are teenagers listening in the car who had never heard of John Treacy let alone his interesting insights and stories.

I can't see how anybody could possibly complain about that interview.

• Advertisement

The most disturbing thing about the last few pages is the realisation that there are people paying Colm Parkinson €5 a month to listen to an absolute clown of the highest order.

I'm a casual fan of OTB depending on what they are discussing (across a wide range of sports, social issues, etc) but there is no world in which I want to listen to Colm Parkinsons view on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Thought it was a great interview as well. Never understood why they didn't do more long form interviews once a week or even every couple of weeks. On the rare occasions they have done something like that it's usually been excellent.

Ps. Not sure there are many teenagers listening to the radio these days, not by choice anyways!

Yeah I think there should be a feature length interview every week, especially over the summer where bar the Olympics there is not much else going on.

You are probably right about the teenagers but that said I know my nephews listen regularly!

Whole thing feels like it's been done on a shoe string. Its once every 4 years and it feels like they've sent one lad to call home on his mobile.

In the past I recall them sending the whole operation to a Euros for example doing the whole shows live from there. Another example of the decay of OTB imo

Fully agree. Both ends of the spectrum have been lacking nuance and OTBs simplistic view has been equally reductive.

Richie McCormack from his Palestinian flag displaying pulpit castigating anyone that questions DSDs (differences of sexual development) athletes eligibility in women's sport is par for the course for the guy.

Obviously it's a delicate and nuanced issue where the rights of the individuals have to be weighed against the safety of their opponents.

Seems like the far right are looking to change their focus after this nonsense. They'll be back pretending to care about women soon enough. OTB coming out far better than other broadcasters in their disdain for the scum pedelling the tripe. Hopefully with the Southport incident there will be a converted effort to crack down on the bot farms.

Who exactly are Morgans and dulpit? it would appear you have just made up a company out of thin air to suit your argument.

I assume your phantom company is some sort of polling company, polling companies have been proven to be full of absolute crap worldwide and been completely unreliable in every election in the last 10 years so that's irrelevant

You are completely wrong, you disagree with me, any political analyst and the general election figures. I'm not dealing with you and your bullshit tbh

I will reply to this is 8 months when the general election happens and once again the country vote centre right and you can shove you're made up Morgan and bullshit surveys up your arse that you just chose to suit your agenda even though they are nonsense

You didn't even answer my question you clown 🤣

You can see it when I question you on the family law referendum which was seen as a liberal law but the government were punished for it and it failed because they were hammered.

That referendum failed because people have had enough liberal **** and the government was hammered over it, but yet you claim that as some sort of proof of Ireland being liberal, when the political parties proposed this and got raped up the arse with no lube by the electorate

You are as thick and ignorant as a brick

Can you do me a favour, look up for the last 100 years the voting results of the Irish public for FF and FG (both centre right parties) as a proportion of the total and then come back to me and explain how Ireland as a majority does not lean right/centre right ....🤣

If you think Ireland is not a right/centre right country then go down to the bookies and place a vote on labour/sinn Fein to win the next GE, put your money where your mouth is 🤣🤣🤣

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Showing your own ignorance there that you have never heard of the powerhouse polling company 'Morgans and dulpit' 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement

Vice President of World Boxing confirms Imane Khelif is MALE.

“The problem was not with the level of Khelif’s testosterone, because that can be adjusted nowadays, but with the result of the gender test, which clearly revealed that the Algerian boxer is biologically male.”

István Kovács, the European Vice President of the World Boxing Organization and former Secretary General of the International Boxing Association has also revealed he warned the IOC about males participating in women’s boxing in 2022, but was ignored

Former secretary general of the IBA .....sure.... Keep fighting the fight.

Sp you're now discrediting the IBA and WBO? Cognitive disonence is a hell of a drug.

It's clearly at best an extremely grey area. To sum things up into simple black and white is standard for low IQ individuals.

It is black and white that this controversy is cooked up by those looking for chaos and amplified by the gullible and the arseholes, who feel that being fed their lines by online influencers (professional arseholes) makes them intelligent. Look at me talking about strawman and cognitive dissonance while not knowing about public service broadcasting. Hopefully the media learns how to treat it with the disdain it deserves. You can continue to pretend to care, but it's a bit of an old game now which most see through. Best of luck though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Well that was fairly abusive.

Morgans and dulpit are posters. They responded to you before i did.

The family law referendum didn't pass because the government didn't run a good campaign. They didn't show any kind of plan after the referendum if it passed, they just wanted to fudge it. It failed because the population could see there wasn't a better option. That's nothing to do with left and right, it's just crap government and diligent voters.

My point was FFFG aren't right or left. They never have been. If you want a term they are Realpolitik. I said nothing about SF/labour getting elected in their place. They won't. Any good ideas that any party has FFFG will nab and use of they think it'll keep them in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Was in the car this afternoon and he was on again, that other poster is wasting their time contributing here as they just shown themselves up to be a completely unreliable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

World Boxing is lead by corrupt Russians who haven't given any details on what tests they did. Their word means little

It's also worth noting that Imane has lost in the 60kg and 62kg weight categories to Irish boxers and her overall record isn't anything spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

All there has to be is proper sex testing of all female athletes across all sports which is a simple enough process and non invasive.It can be done by a cheek swab.

If there is the presence of Y chromosome you're not fully female and therefore can compete in the Open category (mens), just change the name of mens boxing, mens athletics, mens swimming etc to boxing, athletics, swimming.

The issue around Khelif, Lin Yu-Ting, Caster Semeya etc is not complex at all.It is possible to feel sorry for them for the issue being played out in public, to feel sorry for them that they have had an issue that doesn't affect many people and at the same time say that the issue regarding eligibility around womens sport is black and white and needs to be dealt with in a cold un-emotional manner by all governing bodies.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Advertisement

This is a pretty solid take. While there clearly has been a lack of compassion from people in the, she's a man camp, they're fundamentally correct. Iib retards who keeping screaming about the IBO are caught in a cognitive disonence and confirmation bias wanting it not to be true.

Advertisement