Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell quite pricey now or is it just me?

Options
  • 23-06-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

In need of a pc upgrade one here was first bought 11-12 years ago now is a dell - it's ok - had a few upgrades over the years.

I spied a nice lenovo gaming rig - decent spec i9, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd

Now this one all in new is about €1800-2000 new so ex vat as it would be here it's €1400-1600 now in comparison dell seem way more expensive atm?

Do I need a gaming rig no - I just use it for work and browsing but there could be 20-30 tabs open at a time - telegram running etc so heavy ish usage.

Do you think Lenovo are decent or is there a better place to go to get the best value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have a look at GamersNexus' review/teardown of a Dell system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Do I need a gaming rig no - I just use it for work and browsing but there could be 20-30 tabs open at a time - telegram running etc so heavy ish usage.

Going to be real blunt here, I'm going to assume "for work" means Microsoft office, emails and some web pages. You could do all that today on practically any machine sold now day, which is the primary reason why your 12 year old Dell machine still works.

So if cost is a factor, maybe drop the budget to sub 800 including vat. As long as its 4 core / 8 thread, with a ssd and at least 8 gigs of ram its never going to stress itself doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Cuddles - I do a bit more on it tbh - what I have here has 32gb ram plus an ssd albeit small.

Thankfully a business purchase so cost is not an issue to a point that said the 5k ex vat alienware I priced on dell not a chance lol
    Going to be real blunt here, I'm going to assume "for work" means Microsoft office, emails and some web pages. You could do all that today on practically any machine sold now day, which is the primary reason why your 12 year old Dell machine still works.

So if cost is a factor, maybe drop the budget to sub 800 including vat. As long as its 4 core / 8 thread, with a ssd and at least 8 gigs of ram its never going to stress itself doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"I do a bit more on it tbh"

I run a 6 year old Intel 6 core machine with 32 gigs of RAM, ssds and 4 screens. Day to day, there are 3 active windows 10 VM's on it(running office suite apps + chat clients(skype, teams, fuze, zoom) VPN's + python scripts + RDP sessions + VPN within VPN sessions), with one VMware horizon client connected to another windows 10 machine, then the host machine will have the usual office suite, youtube/netflix playing in the background, discord/whatsapp/telegram, tons of webpages open etc etc. A lot of times I leave the lot running in the evening and play games with my mates in the evening.

I'm not bragging, its just my current machine is overkill for my needs(gaming aside) and I barley scratch the surface of what it could do for office use. If money isn't a option then buy whatever you want. But if it was me and it was business related, I'd consider buying for long term(5 years) next business day support over raw specs. Something dell does very well in Ireland. And I'd probably pick up a laptop + docking station over a PC. Gives more versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If it is a case that you are not gaming on it then go for a PC that will cover you for your business needs now because graphics cards prices are horrendous at the moment and if you want to game in the future purchase one then
    Realistically it could be another year or more before things settle down where prices and availability are somewhat normal for GPU's but make sure it has enough room and power to use one

• Advertisement
Advertisement