Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Career advice

Options
  • 23-06-2021 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some career advice from people who have a lot more work/life experience than me!

I am 30 years old working as a QC analyst for a large pharma company in Dublin. I have been here for 4 years and have been permanent since starting the role. I generally do enjoy my job, nice work environment, good benefits, shift premium of 25% (no night work). I am extremely lucky to live a 20-minute walk from the site and I live with my parents while my partner and I save for a mortgage deposit.

However, I am quite driven to go up the ladder and applied for senior QC positions within my own department. I have applied for the same senior role twice. These were roles that were not advertised externally. I have not been successful on either occasion. However, in the most recent job opportunity (2 weeks ago), a colleague with considerably less experience than me or others who also applied got the job.

I don’t want to seem entitled, but the department I work in generally promotes staff based on experience and length of service to the company, so this was completely outfield. After I was told I was unsuccessful, I was told that there will be more opportunities later on in the year and I do not need to interview again, just let them know If I am still interested.

I feel like I am at a bit of a crossroad, I know I am in an extremely fortunate position with job stability, etc.

But I feel if I apply for this position for the third time and I don’t get the role it will look really bad on me and make me question my role in the department.

Am I mad to consider other roles or am I just been impatient? Any advice?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP did you ask for feedback from the interviews? Why you weren't successful and what you could work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

OP did you ask for feedback from the interviews? Why you weren't successful and what you could work on.

Hi Stargazer,

The first interview - I didn't have enough experience on all test methods used within the lab and that other candidates had a lot more experience than me. I couldn't really argue with them. Took that on the chin.

The second interview - They will not give me feedback for the most recent interview because of the dept. manager will be interviewing for additional senior roles later in the year. I will get feedback for my most recent interview once other candidate interviews are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

Some of the feedback sounds weird for a big company, ie. will not have to interview again for roles later in the year and the explanation for no feedback from the second interview.

Would be a tough pill to swallow to lose out on a role to someone less experienced after losing out on the role previously due to lack of experience.

If you were to do an honest assessment of yourself against the person you lost out to recently, why do you think they got the role? Have they taken on more work/projects, built better relationships up the ladder, had better performance reviews?

thefa wrote: »
    Some of the feedback sounds weird for a big company, ie. will not have to interview again for roles later in the year and the explanation for no feedback from the second interview.

Would be a tough pill to swallow to lose out on a role to someone less experienced after losing out on the role previously due to lack of experience.

If you were to do an honest assessment of yourself against the person you lost out to recently, why do you think they got the role? Have they taken on more work/projects, built better relationships up the ladder, had better performance reviews?

The reason why they don't need/want me to interview again is because of a policy of not requiring to interview if applying for the same job within 6 months.

I think the person got the job because they had more exposure to more varying tasks and new challenges. This person works a day role. In comparison, I work a shift pattern, therefore my role often revolves more routine tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think the issue is you're doing work that doesn't have the same kudos, weight as other work.

I see this in IT a lot. You have to refuse work that's valued less at interviews. Especially routine stuff. It's not appreciated.

• Advertisement

I don’t want to seem entitled, but the department I work in generally promotes staff based on experience and length of service to the company, so this was completely outfield. After I was told I was unsuccessful, I was told that there will be more opportunities later on in the year and I do not need to interview again, just let them know If I am still interested.

Don't get too down about it. Experience might have nothing to do with it this time round. Your colleague may have connections to management that you may not know about. Senior management might have a preference for a specific type of candidate. You can't do anything about things like that. We have been trying to fill two senior roles in IT for over a year. The CEO is determined to find women to fill those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Hi All,

Just looking for some career advice from people who have a lot more work/life experience than me!

I am 30 years old working as a QC analyst for a large pharma company in Dublin. I have been here for 4 years and have been permanent since starting the role. I generally do enjoy my job, nice work environment, good benefits, shift premium of 25% (no night work). I am extremely lucky to live a 20-minute walk from the site and I live with my parents while my partner and I save for a mortgage deposit.

However, I am quite driven to go up the ladder and applied for senior QC positions within my own department. I have applied for the same senior role twice. These were roles that were not advertised externally. I have not been successful on either occasion. However, in the most recent job opportunity (2 weeks ago), a colleague with considerably less experience than me or others who also applied got the job.

I feel like I am at a bit of a crossroad, I know I am in an extremely fortunate position with job stability, etc.

But I feel if I apply for this position for the third time and I don’t get the role it will look really bad on me and make me question my role in the department.

Am I mad to consider other roles or am I just been impatient? Any advice?

Cheers!

It appears that you are guaranteed a job when the next vacancies arise as long as you let them know you are interested or am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

maneno wrote: »
    It appears that you are guaranteed a job when the next vacancies arise as long as you let them know you are interested or am I reading it wrong?

... well thats the story unless they change the requirements next time around...

maneno wrote: »

Guaranteed is a very strong word. The OP is well positioned, but I wouldn't say that he or she is guaranteed the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would take out of that that they are strongly considering the OP for a position in the next round alright.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay in responding back. The interviews for the additional roles are now complete. I got one of the roles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Excellent news. Well done. Must be a great feeling.

Advertisement