Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toad Rush

Options
  • 23-06-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

We got our front lawn done last year - but the landscaper turned out to be a total cowboy. He seeded the whole thing with a power seeder but the topsoil was very badly graded and the grass is very patchy.

The lawn looks very brown in areas but on closer inspection there is a lot of this red plant growing in it. From googling it seems to be ‘Toad Rush’. Does anyone have any methods on how to get rid of it from a large area? (>1.5 acres).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Don't know the plant in question- but usually a lot of a certain weed is indicative of certain conditions ground and or soil conditions , could be a nutrient deficiency, or compaction or poor drainage - fix that ( or those ) and it'll give your lawn a chance ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sounds like it could be a lot to do with poor drainage ...lots of Organic matter probably the best solution,
    I'm assuming starting from scratch isn't an option when it come to 1.5 acres

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Markcheese wrote: »
    Don't know the plant in question- but usually a lot of a certain weed is indicative of certain conditions ground and or soil conditions , could be a nutrient deficiency, or compaction or poor drainage - fix that ( or those ) and it'll give your lawn a chance ..

Sorry, was on my mobile so unable to upload any photos.

See attached.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a lot to do with poor drainage ...lots of Organic matter probably the best solution,
    I'm assuming starting from scratch isn't an option when it come to 1.5 acres
    The drainage should be good as it's on a hill and has a significant slope. However, there are wet patches which I think are more to do with compaction.

I'm a bit hesitant to start afresh, but it looks like more and more like the only option.

I did redo a side lawn which was similar, and it's amazing the difference a good rotavating and raking made. I'm might plan to do this next year for the main lawn. That will be a fun month's work!!!

Thanks.

Advertisement