Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about redirecting numbers

• 23-06-2021 11:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently with Three, in the middle of a 2 year contract.
    Problem is I have to have good coverage right now and Three are useless.
    I thought I'd just get a Vf pay as you go sim and move the number, keep paying the monthly on the Three contract and say no more.
    I asked about getting out of the contract but I was told I'd pay the rest of the years monthly payments, works out at 450 euro, and a termination fee, whatever that amounts to.
    I thought of an alternative.
    I could just buy a VF sim and redirect from my current Three sim, leave it in a crappy mobile here, always plugged in with good Three coverage, while I use the better access of the VF sim in my Pixel 4XL.
    Would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you went to Three over the coverage issues? That should be the first thing to do but not a quick thing to resolve.

The diverts would work for incoming calls, but are you going to return calls using the Vodafone sim/number?

Also call diverts can be charged so make sure they are included in your plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You can set call forwarding to any number you like but you should check your plan terms, forwarded calls to numbers that are not your voicemail may or may not be included in your bundle.

Also if you are abroad with your second phone, incoming calls to your original number will effectively be outgoing international calls from that phone so you will almost certainly be paying out of bundle for these.

Call forwarding is a network setting, the intermediary phone does not do the forwarding itself so once you have it enabled the phone does not need to be on at all.

Have you considered texts? they cannot be automatically diverted in the same way although a quick search shows some apps that seem to be able to forward received texts.

If you can tolerate carrying 2 phones you can have calls diverted to second phone and receive texts on 1st phone when in coverage, you will also have phone with you to make outgoing calls or switch on/off forwarding as you please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I might look at carrying a phone with a better network and redirect from Three to Vodafone, while here.
    I'm not likely to be abroad but, if I travel, I can happily use the Three sim because the roaming networks are fine, it's just the awful network coverage here that's the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've ordered a dual-sim phone online and I am going to install the current 3 sim and the VF sim into it.
    I'll use the redirect to shift the calls straight to the VF sim and the rest can continue as-is on the 3 sim.
    This should mean I will gain the benefit of calls on the superior VF network and still have Whatsapp and the like use the existing 3 number.
    Once the contract is up with 3 I will formally shift over to VF on a contract, and 3 can stick their lousy network where the sun doesn't shine

Advertisement