Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Openly Gay Active NFL Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Although its great, I think it only shows how many gay players are refusing to come out. Which is sad in this day and age.

I often think about how many professional soccer players must be gay too, but again the numbers who have come out is miniscule.

Society still has so far to go that this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'm very glad for him personally and for others that he may have a positive influence on.
    It does remind us I suppose though of the number of professional sports people, especially soccer players, who haven't come out. Pure numbers would suggest that there have to be dozens/hundreds at all levels of the sport and it's sad that they can't be open about themselves, if they wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Why is it important? His sexual preference shouldn't matter at all. I genuinely don't get why it has to be "announced". If he scores the winning point of the league, that's an achievement. Is "coming out" as gay still considered a major thing? The article is behind a pay wall, so I couldn't see why there was a song and dance about it.

I suspect many don't announce their sexual preference to the world not from fear, but because it's their personal life and not every famous person wants the media/world to know every detail of their lives.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Why is it important? His sexual preference shouldn't matter at all. I genuinely don't get why it has to be "announced". If he scores the winning point of the league, that's an achievement. Is "coming out" as gay still considered a major thing? The article is behind a pay wall, so I couldn't see why there was a song and dance about it.

I suspect many don't announce their sexual preference to the world not from fear, but because it's their personal life and not every famous person wants the media/world to know every detail of their lives.

It’s important for gay kids to feel they can be accepted in the world of sport. That they can participate in an activity that’s great for physical and mental health, and a great way of making friends and learning about teamwork, without the fear of macho culture and being ridiculed.

It made a difference to me when Gareth Thomas and Dónal Óg Cusack came out. We need more sports people to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Theres no real evidence for your suspicions though but there is lots of evidence about fear

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement