Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading - 8 year old

Options
  • 24-06-2021 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Hope this is the correct forum for this.
    I have an almost 8 year old boy who's really showing an interest in reading of late.
    We have loads of books here for his age but they don't have many pictures. He really enjoyed his 1st class starlight core reader for this reason. It is a mixture of about 15 different stories, at his level, with some pictures to accompany each story.
    Can anyone recommend something similar?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Horrid Henry books are good. Diary of a Wimpy kid too. The story in Diary of a Wimpy kid is funny, but made even more funny by the hilarious illustrations!

My children loved them around that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

Dogman books are a huge hit with my 7 year old. It’s comic book style

• Registered Users Posts: 68,822 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure on the recommended ages for them, but Roald Dahls books and, for non fiction, Horrible Histories have significant amounts of illustration for the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Lightscribe

My 8.5 year old loves David Walliams books and has been reading them by herself for a good while now.

Parts of them are laugh out loud funny and there are very good comic book style illustrations in them.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan on TV but he does know how to write a good kid's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Captain Underpants & Dog Man series are very popular with 8 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Another recommendation for the Dogman series and also Captain Underpants (by the same author).... actually good fun to read for parents too imho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All of the above are always being checked out in the libraries.

The boot series is also popular at that age group. Shane Hegarty is the author.

Also libraries are running summer stars at the moment, so they'd be a great place to ask and get recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

The 13 storey tree house series is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

The bad guys episode 1 and 2 are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Thanks a mill for all the recommendations lads. Will check them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement