Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a "talking heads" recording in Powerpoint

Options
  • 24-06-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to make a recording of a slides + my narration + my head speaking.

I have Powerpoint in Microsoft 365 in browser.

I have Powerpoint in Office 2016 on desktop.

In desktop 2016 version, there is a command Slideshow>Record Slideshow, okay.

In the 365 browser version, under Slideshow menu, there is a button to Playback, but there isn’t a button to Record.

When I watch videos on the web about how to do this, the interface they have when they press record, is not the same interface as I get when I press record in PP 2016 desktop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0iuFe7zJR8
    See 37 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnUtvGg9kp0

I welcome any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I haven't done it before with narrator view but I tried mine there and it works ok going by the above instructions.

I think my powerpoint is up to date though (version 2105)

This is the screen that comes up for me.
    Maybe check your camera settings up at the top
    556707.JPG
    Delete_Record.JPG

There are workarounds with OBS software but looks a bit convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Treppen,
    thank you.

Your first screenshot is what I don't get/see when I press record.

When you say camera settings, do you mean in Windows?

Geuze wrote: »
    Treppen,
    thank you.

Your first screenshot is what I don't get/see when I press record.

When you say camera settings, do you mean in Windows?

I meant the settings menu in my screenshot. But maybe check your camera settings anyway in Windows!

I didn't hit record in PowerPoint. I used your second video and accessed it through the export option.
    What version of ppt is it (not the year)... Do you have an update version option?

I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.

(16.0.4266.1001).

I know what you mean about the File>Export>Create a Video command.

Thank you.

I will report back later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I just tried it there on mine - click record video - your camera starts - do your recording, press ok - the video is added to the slide - resize your video and that works. Also when your finished - export as video.

• Advertisement

OK, I tried it again.

Windows 10
    Open Chrome browser
    Login to Office 365
    Open Powerpoint within Office 365.
    Open a PPF file
    All looks normal so far
    On SlideShow menu, there is no Record slideshow button
    On File menu, the Export>Create a Video command available in the desktop version, is not there

Same computer, close Office 365, logout, close browser.
    Open Powerpoint desktop 2016 version.
    Open any PPT file
    In File menu, choose Export>Create a Video
    Choose Record Timing and Narrations from dropdown
    Record Slide Show dialog box opens
    Click Start Recording
    New interface opens, with some buttons, but not with the interface that I see in video tutorials.

Geuze wrote: »
    Same computer, close Office 365, logout, close browser.
    Open Powerpoint desktop 2016 version.
    Open any PPT file
    In File menu, choose Export>Create a Video
    Choose Record Timing and Narrations from dropdown
    Record Slide Show dialog box opens
    Click Start Recording
    New interface opens, with some buttons, but not with the interface that I see in video tutorials.

Did a bit of a Google there and some folk have to enable recording...

click on File > Options. Once in Options, click on Customize Ribbon. On the right, under Main Tabs, click the checkbox next to Recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

There's a bit of a mix of versions going on here, just to be clear, recordings are not supported in the web version of PowerPoint (accessed in Google Chrome, Edge or any other browser)

After you download and install the Office suite, in PowerPoint, the record options are on the top bar under the "Slide Show" tab

Once you open the recording window (full screen of black with just the controls and slides shown), to the right of the pointer and pen controls there's an option to turn on/off the microphone, camera and camera preview

Treppen wrote: »
    Did a bit of a Google there and some folk have to enable recording...

click on File > Options. Once in Options, click on Customize Ribbon. On the right, under Main Tabs, click the checkbox next to Recording.

Treppen,
    thank you, I had looked at that.

Currently I am in PP desktop 2016, Options>CustomizeRibbon.

NOTE: I have two computers, and at the moment I am using the desktop, so there isn't a camera. I will try on notebook later.

But just to let you know, that in the list of tabs under Customize Ribbon, I see SlideShow, and when I expand that, there are three options:

Start Slide Show
    Set Up
    Monitors

Under Set Up, there are various choices, one of which is Record Slide Show, but it is greyed out.

Just to let you know.

I will try on notebook computer soon, that has a camera.

• Advertisement

irishfire wrote: »
    There's a bit of a mix of versions going on here, just to be clear, recordings are not supported in the web version of PowerPoint (accessed in Google Chrome, Edge or any other browser)

After you download and install the Office suite, in PowerPoint, the record options are on the top bar under the "Slide Show" tab

Once you open the recording window (full screen of black with just the controls and slides shown), to the right of the pointer and pen controls there's an option to turn on/off the microphone, camera and camera preview

Yes, my query is the interface/screen that appears when I click Record Slide Show.

I am doing it again now, on PP desktop 2016, on a desktop PC with no camera.

I have opened a PPT file, I have clicked on Record Slide Show, all okay so far.

A dialog box opens, as expected: record either:

slide and animation timings
    narrations, ink, and laser pointer

When I press Start Recording, the interface/screen is not like in the tutorial videos, and it's not like the version posted earlier in this thread.

Treppen wrote: »
    I haven't done it before with narrator view but I tried mine there and it works ok going by the above instructions.

I think my powerpoint is up to date though (version 2105)

This is the screen that comes up for me.
    Maybe check your camera settings up at the top
    556707.JPG
    Delete_Record.JPG

I don't see this.

OBS route?

I put the query on a Microsoft forum, and got an answer.

"The webcam feature is not included in PowerPoint 2016, nor PowerPoint Online. You only get that feature in PowerPoint 365 for the desktop."

Now I am confused: what is the difference between PowerPoint Online and PowerPoint 365 for the desktop?

I have Office 365, and yet the Record Slide Show button isn’t there?

Jesus, this would drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If I was doing this Id set up a meeting in MS teams for myself. Then present the power point in the meeting and record the meeting.

Might take a few goes to get a recording your happy with. But it's a lot simpler than doing it in PowerPoint.

There's too many different versions of PowerPoint and what works in one version doesn't in another. You also can't control what version the audience will have.

Advertisement