Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall insulation

Options
  • 24-06-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi,

Decided to get cavity walls insulated and sent out 7 or 8 quote requests.
    Only one reply, €4200 before any grants. Which sounds crazy expensive to me.

The house is 133sq.m two storey, detached, in South Dublin. 12cm cavity.

Can anyone PM recommendation of company doing cavity wall insulation using bonded beads?

Has anyone got it done recently and willing to share experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

On what basis is it crazy, what did you expect?
    what is your reference point?

Any way lets do some math
    133/2 say is 64 which is 8 by 8
    so perimeter is 32 and say height is 5.2 so 166 sq m of wall to be pumped, ignoring windows
    4200/166 is 25 per m2
    attic insulation is running at about the same, without any investment in tech.

Try getting to the kore of the problem by phoning around

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

strmin wrote: »
    Hi,

Decided to get cavity walls insulated and sent out 7 or 8 quote requests.
    Only one reply, €4200 before any grants. Which sounds crazy expensive to me.

The house is 133sq.m two storey, detached, in South Dublin. 12cm cavity.

Can anyone PM recommendation of company doing cavity wall insulation using bonded beads?

Has anyone got it done recently and willing to share experiences?

Thanks

thats not too far off what you would expect TBF.. even considering a south dublin premium.

im seeing prices of approx €1.50 per sq ft as being typical, for a 50mm cavity.

your house is 1430 sq ft @ 1.5 = 2147 @ 2.4 (50m compared to 120mm) = €5153

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I appreciate your replies.

Really didn't know what to expect and the only reference point was a few posts on forums where people were getting quotes 1500-2200. But I guess every house and location is different.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

strmin wrote: »
    I appreciate your replies.

Really didn't know what to expect and the only reference point was a few posts on forums where people were getting quotes 1500-2200. But I guess every house and location is different.

the big difference is the usual cavity that people get pumped with be 50mmm wide.

you are actually quite lucky that you have a clear 120mm cavity to pump (less chance of areas not being filled due to residual boards in the cavity)

going from no insulation to 120mm of bead will make a huge difference to your house.

Advertisement