Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan of a Ryzen 2000 or 3000 CPU

Options
  • 24-06-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

As per title, does anyone have a Ryzen AM4 2000 or 3000 CPU they can lend me? I literally just need it to upgrade the BIOS on a new AM4 board to support a 5000 series CPU and i'm new to AMD CPU's and so don't have any to fall back on. The motherboard sadly does not support BIOS flashback/CPU-less flashing.

The CPU doesn't have to be anything special as a result. I'd obviously rather not buy one just to do this.

Happy to offer beer money for the trouble and come to collect - I'm based in Blessington but will need to come into the office in Dublin CC at some point so happy to make the journey.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Thanks for the advice - I've tried one place and it was expensive for what it is. Appreciate the suggestion re: Max Burns - I will ask them for a quote in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you could always try this

If you happen to own an AM4 motherboard that will not boot or allow you to update the BIOS to support the Ryzen 3 2200G or Ryzen 5 2400G, you can request a boot kit from AMD. These kits consists of older Bristol Ridge APUs—a dual-core A6-9500, according to Arstechnica.

The boot kit is part of AMD's warranty service. To request one, you have to visit AMD's warranty claims page and fill in your contact and product details. In the problem description field, AMD asks that you write "Boot kit Required" (minus the quotes).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Hi guys,

As per title, does anyone have a Ryzen AM4 2000 or 3000 CPU they can lend me? I literally just need it to upgrade the BIOS on a new AM4 board to support a 5000 series CPU and i'm new to AMD CPU's and so don't have any to fall back on. The motherboard sadly does not support BIOS flashback/CPU-less flashing.

The CPU doesn't have to be anything special as a result. I'd obviously rather not buy one just to do this.

Happy to offer beer money for the trouble and come to collect - I'm based in Blessington but will need to come into the office in Dublin CC at some point so happy to make the journey.

Thanks in advance!
    I had to get a boot kit from AMD, easy enough process if I remember ill see if I can find the emails

KAGY wrote: »
    I had to get a boot kit from AMD, easy enough process if I remember ill see if I can find the emails

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your request to loan a boot kit from AMD.
    Before approving your request, I would like to verify that you have tried to contact your motherboard manufacturer or their local authorized service provider, and they have established that your motherboard requires a BIOS update, and were not able to help you perform that update.
    Hide quoted text
    Please provide a summary or copy of your communication with the motherboard manufacturer to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

AMD is in position to be able to provide a short-term loan of a Boot kit, such that you can Flash the BIOS yourself.
    To qualify for this service, AMD will require a picture of your:

Ryzen 7 2700
    Ryzen 7 2700x
    Ryzen 5 2600
    Ryzen 5 2600x
    Ryzen 5 2400G
    Ryzen 5 2400GE
    Ryzen 3 2200G
    Ryzen 3 2200GE

Processor (note: a picture of the retail box is not sufficient), that clearly shows the Model number and Serial number plus a copy of your purchase invoice.

Please can you also provide details of your motherboard and a copy of your purchase invoice.

* By submitting these details you agree to the attached terms and conditions of AMD’s Boot Kit loan.

Once we receive this information, we will be happy to review your claim to establish legibility for a Boot Kit loan.
    If you no longer require this service no response is required.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Markus

AMD Global Customer Care

KAGY wrote: »
    The returns process

Response and Service Request History:

Your boot kit request has been approved and we are processing this through our standard RMA system.
    You should have received the RMA number and confirmation details in a separate email by now.
    Please note: Your RMA will be for your boot kit model number and not for your Ryzen with CPU.
    Once you have received the boot kit, please install the boot kit processor onto your motherboard and boot up the system to begin the BIOS update procedure.
    The latest BIOS is available for download from the motherboard manufacturer’s website. You may save the BIOS onto a USB flash drive using another PC or download directly onto the current system after the operating system has been successfully installed and configured.
    With the latest BIOS file downloaded and saved, please follow the motherboard BIOS update instructions. These instructions are available online from the manufacturer’s website or found in the user manual.
    After the BIOS update is complete, please swap out the boot kit processor with your new Ryzen with CPU and confirm that the system is now booting up successfully.
    Once you have confirmed that your Ryzen with CPU is working on your motherboard, please send your boot kit back to AMD following the instructions below.
    Book Kit Return Shipping Instructions
    Please securely package the boot kit CPU in the box it came in with the RMA number and return shipping address clearly written on the outside of the box.
    Note: Please keep the heatsink and fan as it is not required to send this back to AMD but be advised that this heatsink is not compatible with your Ryzen with CPU.
    The shipping address is:
    AMD GCC c/o K+N
    Pudongweg 1
    1437 EM Rozenburg (NH)
    The Netherlands
    Contact name: Branko de Keizer
    Phone: +31 (0)252-467 771
    Contact detail and telephone number are required only for logistics documentation.
    If you have any inquiries related to RMA status, please respond to this email.

We have arranged a pre-paid DHL Express account to return your CPU back to AMD free of charge. Please contact your local DHL Express center and arrange with them to get the part shipped back to AMD, using our DHL account: 955575758
    This DHL account is offered free of charge to you. Please be advised that if you wish to ship the part back to AMD using a carrier of your own choice, it will be at your own expense.
    I will keep this ticket open for another 10 days so you can provide an update. If you need to update the ticket after 10 days, please submit a new request via

• Advertisement

Thanks bud - that's really helpful - will look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058197424

this guy has similiar issues and is going to Max Burns to get it sorted (he bought the board there tho)

Thanks mate - they sold him the board so i'd expect them to help him out for free tbh.

I did forget to update that I went to Max Burns and they wanted 50 quid to do the update.....

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

its a tiny bit scummy, but if you can buy one on amazon... you can return it.

Advertisement