Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I spray over this corrosion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wire wheel on the drill...lash into it....then VHT paint..few coats..let dry overnight....then satin black final coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Years of outside storage has taken it's toll and some paint has flaked off the engine and drive shaft of my bike. Just wondering if there is anything I can do about this myself the keep the cost down?

A mate suggested going mad with wire wool and use something like high temperature paint. Something like this I guess?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QH2G5V8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3AS31REAQ3A0J&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00438CDZK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I'd even be happy to brush on Hammarite at this stage! Anyone else done anything similar?

No problem getting that looking like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

That's cast aluminium by the looks of it, wire wheel it, wet sand, a coat of etch primer and your choice of top coat and laquer should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My beloved Hammerite smooth (gloss) black or Simoniz engine enamel. Both stick like poop to a blanket. I also like the equivalent Rustoleum resin paints.

Don't use VHT paints because they're usually softer and matter, even when they're called satin and there high temp paint is not necessary on casings. One exception being PJ1 fast black which is a true Hight temp satin but it's still not as good as the hammerite, as long as you don't mind it being glosser than factory. The resin paints I mentioned above are far tougher, durable and much more factory looking. Do NOT use Hammerite satin black; it's absolute garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

rustynutz wrote: »
    That's cast aluminium by the looks of it, wire wheel it, wet sand, a coat of etch primer and your choice of top coat and laquer should do the job

Just wondering if that primer can handle the high heat of the engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just wondering if that primer can handle the high heat of the engine?

Engines don't get all that hot funnily enough, the exhaust system does but engines seldom get over about 70-80°C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Been using VHT for years on my builds...its self etching and a good base...but you need to satin or gloss it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

cantdecide wrote: »
    My beloved Hammerite smooth (gloss) black or Simoniz engine enamel. Both stick like poop to a blanket. I also like the equivalent Rustoleum resin paints.

Don't use VHT paints because they're usually softer and matter, even when they're called satin and there high temp paint is not necessary on casings. One exception being PJ1 fast black which is a true Hight temp satin but it's still not as good as the hammerite, as long as you don't mind it being glosser than factory. The resin paints I mentioned above are far tougher, durable and much more factory looking. Do NOT use Hammerite satin black; it's absolute garbage.

Have you a picture handy of the smooth one you use? I have one but dont see mention of smooth on it. Do you see brushmarks once done, is there a nack to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Have you a picture handy of the smooth one you use? I have one but dont see mention of smooth on it. Do you see brushmarks once done, is there a nack to that?

557261.jpeg

It's the aerosol Hammerite Smooth Black I mean.

Sorry I don't have any better pics but you can see Hammerite on the frame and I used Simoniz on the engine.

cantdecide wrote: »
    557261.jpeg

It's the aerosol Hammerite Smooth Black I mean.

Sorry I don't have any better pics but you can see Hammerite on the frame and I used Simoniz on the engine.

A thing of pure beauty! No hassle, I hadn't even thought of the fact it might come in a spray. I did a test bit on the kickstand last night and its a decent finish. Bit of fine sandpaper maybe to smooth it out and it will be good. Much better than its weathered former self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

ronanc15 wrote: »
    A thing of pure beauty! No hassle, I hadn't even thought of the fact it might come in a spray. I did a test bit on the kickstand last night and its a decent finish. Bit of fine sandpaper maybe to smooth it out and it will be good. Much better than its weathered former self.

Well that’s it, right? Don’t care if there are brushstrokes that you can see closeup. It’s going to be better than what is there now!!

Well that’s it, right? Don’t care if there are brushstrokes that you can see closeup. It’s going to be better than what is there now!!

Amen!

Advertisement