Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage overpayment

• 24-06-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I can make an overpayment of 10% of the balance without fees each year.
    My bank is giving me option of taking off term or reducing monthly repayment.
    Which option saves me most money?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think your lender would be better placed to give you an accurate answer than a bunch of well meaning but uninformed people on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Just a heads up.

Some lenders will leave you over pay 10% of the balance each year of fixed rate and some 10% over the course of the whole fixed rate period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ecdi wrote: »
    Thanks
    Reducing the term should save you more money as you'll be paying interest over a shorter term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I think your lender would be better placed to give you an accurate answer than a bunch of well meaning but uninformed people on the internet.

IIRc the lender is not obliged to tell you because its your choice, they are not selling a product.
    As one of these uninformed people on the internet, with 40 years in finance, lets look at it.

the longer the term, given the time value of money, even in low interest rate environments, future payments have a lower present value than current payments.
    Interest rates will rise in the medium term so future payments will go up, so reducing the term leaves you less exposed to a longer tail of higher payments

The yield curve is here
    https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/financial_markets_and_interest_rates/euro_area_yield_curves/html/index.en.html

you can just add your current all in interest rate to the yield curve for AAA bonds to see where you will be at in 10 20 years as cost of borrowing for banks is near enough zero.
    This yield curve could go skew ways from geopolitical risk so for me, reduce the term.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ecdi

This isn't very helpful?

• Advertisement

IIRc the lender is not obliged to tell you because its your choice, they are not selling a product.
    As one of these uninformed people on the internet, with 40 years in finance, lets look at it.

the longer the term, given the time value of money, even in low interest rate environments, future payments have a lower present value than current payments.
    Interest rates will rise in the medium term so future payments will go up, so reducing the term leaves you less exposed to a longer tail of higher payments

The yield curve is here
    https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/financial_markets_and_interest_rates/euro_area_yield_curves/html/index.en.html

you can just add your current all in interest rate to the yield curve for AAA bonds to see where you will be at in 10 20 years as cost of borrowing for banks is near enough zero.
    This yield curve could go skew ways from geopolitical risk so for me, reduce the term.

Now this is helpful. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks

Leaving the repayment the same, and reducing the term, saves the most interest.

Geuze wrote: »
    Leaving the repayment the same, and reducing the term, saves the most interest.

How does it work. How would €5,000 payment v €10,000 look?
    Balance is €207,600
    30 years left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Treppen

Just a thought...
    Could there be any advantage for the OP to save up their yearly lump sums say for 5-10 years.
    Then use it to improve LTV while switching for a better mortgage rate in the near future.

Treppen wrote: »
    Just a thought...
    Could there be any advantage for the OP to save up their yearly lump sums say for 5-10 years.
    Then use it to improve LTV while switching for a better mortgage rate in the near future.

I think this is what I'm actually doing, I switch every 3/4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think this is what I'm actually doing, I switch every 3/4 years

Out of interest how much does it cost to switch.

Cost me €2500 new provider covered it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

The simple answer (better to shorten the term) is the best.

This assumes that you're paying down using "spare" money, in other words that the interest rate you're paying exceeds the benefit you'd get by using the funds elsewhere (for example, to reduce a car loan) .

If it was a cheap tracker mortgage this might not be the case,it might be the cheapest loan you'll ever get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As long as its coming directly off the principle it should reduce both the payment and term.

As long as its coming directly off the principle it should reduce both the payment and term.

Lenders generally give the option of keeping the payment the same (and reducing the term), or keeping the term the same and reducing the payment.

Naturally the principal outstanding will reduce, the overpayment doesn't just disappear in a puff of smoke.

In what case would it not come off the principal?

In the same way your monthly repayments are not coming directly off the principle. They're mostly paying the interest.

If you're overpaying a mortgage male sure you're overpaying the principle only. This will naturally reduce you're repayment amd your term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

ecdi wrote:
    I can make an overpayment of 10% of the balance without fees each year. My bank is giving me option of taking off term or reducing monthly repayment. Which option saves me most money? Thanks

Neither. It's the actual timing of your payments that save you on interest.. The bank may give you a mortgage of 40 years at 100 Euro per month but if you pay 200 Euro you'll have it paid off much sooner than the term agreed with the bank.

In general, it's always better to reduce the payments as if you run into financial difficulty you can stop overpaying and return to paying the bare minimum.

If you had instead reduced the term, you wouldn't have the option to reduce payment. The bank would also be unlikely to allow you to extend the term again

In the same way your monthly repayments are not coming directly off the principle. They're mostly paying the interest.

If you're overpaying a mortgage male sure you're overpaying the principle only. This will naturally reduce you're repayment amd your term.

Is there a chance when paying say €10,000 off, that bank would not take it off the principal if not specifically instructed to do so?

How would this effect monthly repayment, or do you only see the difference when mortgage is full repaid?

Please read my last post again.

Loan statements may be confusingly presented but you should only ever be charged interest on how much you owe (the reducing balance) at each point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Dexpat

I started paying extra by transferring any spare cash in my current account online into the variable mortage account each month. AIB automatically reduced the monthly payments and kept the term the same. The mortgage payments each month are now €750 which is half what they used to be.

However I still usuallly transfer up to an extra €1500 a month off the mortgage so the fromal payments keep coming down. In reality the mortgage will be paid off well before the official term.The term is now only a theoretical date.

This approach gives a lot of flexibility. If a few big bills come in then I can reduce what I pay. So I suppose it depends on the type of mortgage as to what approach is the best to take. I don't have any other loans and don't anticipate I'll need one in the medium term at least.

In theory reducing the term may be better but as has been said by others reducing payments can be very flexible.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Lenders generally give the option of keeping the payment the same (and reducing the term), or keeping the term the same and reducing the payment.

Naturally the principal outstanding will reduce, the overpayment doesn't just disappear in a puff of smoke.

I'm unsure if we're just using different terminology but if you're over paying the principle amount that you've borrowed then both your repayment and term should reduce. As both are determined by the outstanding principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm unsure if we're just using different terminology but if you're over paying the principle amount that you've borrowed then both your repayment and term should reduce. As both are determined by the outstanding principle.

If you reduce the principle, either the term or repayment reduces or a bit of both. Banks generally offer the first two options as it is simpler

Let me use a simplified example.

You have 10 years left on your mortgage at 1000 euros a month. You then pay 20% of the balance you owe as a lump sum.

You can then choose to pay off the rest over 8 years at 1000 a month.
    Or 10 years at 800 a month.
    Or 9 years at 900 a month, as you suggest.

Now the numbers aren't exact because of compounding, but that's the idea.

Do you agree?

Edit:as dubrov said with much less words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thanks

To be clear both options take it off the principle. Reducing the term or reducing your repayment should produce the same end result in terms of savings.

As has been said elsewhere the main benefit of leaving the term the same is it gives you flexibility if you get into financial difficulties later on.

As much as it feels good to save up and knock a large chunk off your mortgage it's generally the best option to to chip away at it with any spare cash as it arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Cost me €2500 new provider covered it

could you pm the name of the bank please

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I would double check the 10% rule, I haven't heard of a yearly cap, it's normally a fixed term cap. So unless you're rolling from 1 fixed year to the next.

Here's the simple calculator which will answer your question:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money-tools/extra-mortgage-payments-calculator/

Anyone seen permanent tsb offer of 2% cashback? Very tempted to go on that in the new year. 6000 cashback for 300k mortgage. No brainer in my opinion. I'm currently trying to clear my 30 year mortgage in 7 years. Almost 2 years in and on track so far.

Edit: Ah, just seen it was answered already.
    Reducing the term should save you more money as you'll be paying interest over a shorter term.

Cashback deals are often financed by higher rates over the life of the mortgage (banks know that people often don't bother switching after any fixed/introductory rate is up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

TP_CM wrote: »
    I would double check the 10% rule, I haven't heard of a yearly cap, it's normally a fixed term cap. So unless you're rolling from 1 fixed year to the next.

Ulster, Avant and finance Ireland all offer 10% overpayment on outstanding balance per year.

Also worth pointing out that break fees change daily in line with market rates so it's not always the case that there will be a break free for overpayments beyond 10%

• Advertisement

A slightly more bloated response from me, if you're interested. The only time principal vs. interest matters is if you have an interest-only mortgage. Don't worry about it.

These figures are fairly loose, but imagine you pay €1,000 a month.

People often panic when they first start getting charged interest on their mortgage, if they've paid €3,000 in a quarter and get charged €1,500 interest, they might think there's been a mistake or that they're being charged too much, and generally it's an unpleasant surprise to see you're only really getting the loan balance down by half the amount you're paying in.

In anticipation of this, banks often use a visual tool to show customers that because the interest is charged per quarter based on the balance on the loan, the amount of interest charged (e.g. €1.5k) when the loan balance is high (e.g. 200k), is much higher than the amount of interest that will be charged in the later years of the loan when the outstanding balance is small (e.g. €160 interest when the balance is €20k). So while it seems at first that the overall balance is going down slowly, this will speed up as interest charges get lower. Your repayment amount (theoretically) stays the same, so in our example, you're reducing the overall balance by €1,500 a quarter (€500 a month) in the first year, but that same €1,000 repayment will reduce the balance by €2,840 a quarter (€945 a month) in later years. The phrase often used is that 'for the first few years you're mostly paying interest'. But this is a bit misleading.

In reality, you're never specifically paying principal or interest, it's all just one outstanding loan balance. Your outstanding loan balance (e.g. €200k) gets charged interest (e.g. €1.5k), and that interest is then added back onto the outstanding loan balance (€201.5k) - there's no separate 'interest' portion of the loan. Most people like to mentally assign their payments to interest first and then consider how much they've paid off in excess of the interest, and call that the principal, but it's not actually different money to the bank, it's all the one.

Advertisement