Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2021 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

dunnerc wrote: »
    Cluxton mannion osullivan mdma andrews mccaffery Daly flynn connolly etc
    is that significant enough for you ?

You do realise Dublin isn't the only county where players retire?

Swaine wrote: »

It’s the only one where there isn’t a nationwide decade of the rosary when one does.

It’s the only one where there isn’t a nationwide decade of the rosary when one does.

Connolly gone about 3 years now and still whining about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Really !! i never realised that :rolleyes:

Connolly retired in October 2020 , you do realise that was only 9 months ago:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I wonder would the Kerry CB organise an oul testimonial, he only a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jizique wrote: »
    Sounds like Cluxton is finished

With his work ethic I get the impression he's not a fella who would come back half way during a championship having missed most of the training and feel right about taking the number 1 jersey again.
    Obviously don't know him so could be very wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

His influence is massively overstated. A loss but not significant.

Yes, the single most influential Gaelic footballer of the last 100 years won't be missed, you are indeed correct.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, the single most influential Gaelic footballer of the last 100 years won't be missed, you are indeed correct.

In your dreams.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think I've ever heard Pat Spillane on co-commentary before.

• Advertisement

In your dreams.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/stephen-cluxton-365187

"he is the most influential footballer of his era, and perhaps of all time."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/stephen-cluxton-greatest-dublin-130642

"And there's a genuine claim to be made that he should go down as one of the greatest footballers ever - not just the best goalkeeper."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stephen-cluxton-named-footballer-of-the-year-but-admits-future-plans-are-uncertain-1.4069695

"The honour, voted on by intercounty players, is overdue recognition for the most influential footballer of his generation"

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/4563419/influential-player-dennis-ogie-moran-dublin-stephen-cluxton/

"And I think he’s been the most influential player in the last ten or 15 years, if not ever in Gaelic football. He’s been so influential.”"

I think I will leave it there, I don't want to embarrass you any more.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/stephen-cluxton-365187

"he is the most influential footballer of his era, and perhaps of all time."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/stephen-cluxton-greatest-dublin-130642

"And there's a genuine claim to be made that he should go down as one of the greatest footballers ever - not just the best goalkeeper."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stephen-cluxton-named-footballer-of-the-year-but-admits-future-plans-are-uncertain-1.4069695

"The honour, voted on by intercounty players, is overdue recognition for the most influential footballer of his generation"

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/4563419/influential-player-dennis-ogie-moran-dublin-stephen-cluxton/

"And I think he’s been the most influential player in the last ten or 15 years, if not ever in Gaelic football. He’s been so influential.”"

I think I will leave it there, I don't want to embarrass you any more.

There's only one poster embarrassing themselves here and it isn't me. Post 100 links if you want, it changes nothing.

The Sun and Joe.ie.. :pac:

Genuinely embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For a lad who doesn't like publicity, Cluxton is doing a bad job of the current situation.

He must be a bit odd though, either announce your retiring or orherwise. Needless drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

His influence is massively overstated. A loss but not significant.

Stop will ya
    As a Mayo man I was praying every year he would retire
    Sadly it has come too late for us :D

He is a massive influence on that team. A huge huge loss .
    Combined with the other retirements and Gavin going we might just be seeing a changing of the tide .
    Again too late for my own county :(

There's only one poster embarrassing themselves here and it isn't me. Post 100 links if you want, it changes nothing.

The Sun and Joe.ie.. :pac:

Genuinely embarrassed for you.

I could post 100 links, and it will get worse for you, if it is true that he has retired. The bitterness runs deep when it comes to Cluxton, but for us Dubs, we know what we have been so lucky to see.

I will always be able to say that I was there when he kicked that free to start it all off.

In your dreams.

Oh the bitterness:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Roscommon and Galway was a very poor game, probably the end of Anthony Cunningham as Roscommon Manager.

km79 wrote: »
    Stop will ya
    As a Mayo man I was praying every year he would retire
    Sadly it has come too late for us :D

He is a massive influence on that team. A huge huge loss .
    Combined with the other retirements and Gavin going we might just be seeing a changing of the tide .
    Again too late for my own county :(

This year maybe , but i genuinely believe Mayo are a coming team , keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Early July and 14 teams already out after one championship game. The county hurlers have been given at least two championship games for the 2nd year in a row and surely the footballers should have got the same treatment especially in a year whereby there was only 4 league games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Early July and 14 teams already out after one championship game. The county hurlers have been given at least two championship games for the 2nd year in a row and surely the footballers should have got the same treatment especially in a year whereby there was only 4 league games.

You can't really compare the two - hurling quite rightly have a tiered championship, if football followed suit then they could have a back door as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think qualifiers would be a waste of time and money, football needs a tiered structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You can't really compare the two - hurling quite rightly have a tiered championship, if football followed suit then they could have a back door as well.
    Could easily have fitted in qualifiers and stand alone Quarter finals in the football championship. Could have probably got that B All Ireland up and running also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

C__MC wrote: »
    I think qualifiers would be a waste of time and money, football needs a tiered structure.

Not a waste of time. For a number of counties reaching the last 8 of the senior football championship would mean a lot more to players and supporters than winning a Tommy Murphy Mark 2 Cup.

The tiered structure already in place, it's called the NFL. Making that a more important competition should be the objective for GAA HQ.

Not a waste of time. For a number of counties reaching the last 8 of the senior football championship would mean a lot more to players and supporters than winning a Tommy Murphy Mark 2 Cup.

The tiered structure already in place, it's called the NFL. Making that a more important competition should be the objective for GAA HQ.

No its time to go down the hurling route
    Lower placed teams learning nothing from their beatings against the best

C__MC wrote: »
    No its time to go down the hurling route
    Lower placed teams learning nothing from their beatings against the best

There was one Christy Ring Cup game i wanted to watch this weekend but couldn't as neither County even bothered to stream it. All football championship games are available via GAAGO and I doubt that will be the case if it goes down the hurling route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

There was one Christy Ring Cup game i wanted to watch this weekend but couldn't as neither County even bothered to stream it. All football championship games are available via GAAGO and I doubt that will be the case if it goes down the hurling route.

I think you're missing the point of the push for a tiered championship. It's not about coverage for the 'weaker' counties, it's not about helping them out, promoting Gaelic games in these counties or any of that. It's about removing them so the 'stronger' counties aren't inconvenienced by their presence.

Enquiring wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of the push for a tiered championship. It's not about coverage for the 'weaker' counties, it's not about helping them out, promoting Gaelic games in these counties or any of that. It's about removing them so the 'stronger' counties aren't inconvenienced by their presence.

Seems to be inconvenience alright. As supporter who sees a lot more to a championship than just who wins it my fear is that a tiered football championship will have as little coverage and interest as the lower tiered hurling championships has. Don't think GAA HQ will care too much about the likes of Offaly, Antrim, Fermanagh etc. No back door games for football teams for a 2nd year and half of league campaign this year suggests that already.

Will also notice the only game they are making effort to have a decent size crowd at is the All Ireland finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Michael Quirke gone. I wonder is he the great manager in waiting that some talking heads seem to think and this just didn’t work out...or is he just not all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Every counties plays a tiered structure, senior,. intermediate and junior football and hurling. It will work just as well at championship.

You have to do away with the provincial championships. 12 teams per tiered group giving 36 teams. We have 32 counties add in NY and London and you are only looking for two more.

Two groups of six/ tier giving each team 5 games minimum. Top team each group goes to the the SF 2nd and 3 rd team play quarter finals.

Bottom two teams from each group play off for one team to be relegated and intermediate and junior champions are promoted.

County Limerick has such a championship in hurling and football. In the last ten years only one team that was promoted was relegated the flowing year. Teams have claimed from junior to senior in 3-4 years. And teams have fallen through the group's like Cavan did in the national League.

With the present structure no team will improve. Provincial structure means that teams in counties with Kerry and Dublin will seldom win a provincial championships and will always have to travel the back door to the Super eights.

It will take a team 3-4 years qualifying for the SE's before you can challenge for the All Ireland. Ya you might get lucky and reach a semifinal but you will never win with new structure.

There is a good chance that TnaG would concentrate on the Junior or Intermediate championships for that matter they could be packaged separately.

All three series could be played off together. IMO you should have an All Ireland weekend with Junior final played say in McHale park on Friday night or Saturday middle of the day. Intermediate final played Saturday evening in Killarney or Cork and the Senior Final played on Sunday afternoon.

All three finals would be televised and I can guarantee you both the Junior and intermediate final would attract capacity crowds.

Knockout Games would have to be played off on the day with finals going to replays.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is nothing stopping the GAA playing hardball and insisting on a certain level of coverage any lower tiers when negotiating the TV deals., The FAI used do this with RTE, insisting on a certain level of covergae (incl live games) for LOI games as part of the deal to cover the international team

• Advertisement

Every counties plays a tiered structure, senior,. intermediate and junior football and hurling. It will work just as well at championship.

You have to do away with the provincial championships. 12 teams per tiered group giving 36 teams. We have 32 counties add in NY and London and you are only looking for two more.

Two groups of six/ tier giving each team 5 games minimum. Top team each group goes to the the SF 2nd and 3 rd team play quarter finals.

Bottom two teams from each group play off for one team to be relegated and intermediate and junior champions are promoted.

County Limerick has such a championship in hurling and football. In the last ten years only one team that was promoted was relegated the flowing year. Teams have claimed from junior to senior in 3-4 years. And teams have fallen through the group's like Cavan did in the national League.

With the present structure no team will improve. Provincial structure means that teams in counties with Kerry and Dublin will seldom win a provincial championships and will always have to travel the back door to the Super eights.

It will take a team 3-4 years qualifying for the SE's before you can challenge for the All Ireland. Ya you might get lucky and reach a semifinal but you will never win with new structure.

There is a good chance that TnaG would concentrate on the Junior or Intermediate championships for that matter they could be packaged separately.

All three series could be played off together. IMO you should have an All Ireland weekend with Junior final played say in McHale park on Friday night or Saturday middle of the day. Intermediate final played Saturday evening in Killarney or Cork and the Senior Final played on Sunday afternoon.

All three finals would be televised and I can guarantee you both the Junior and intermediate final would attract capacity crowds.

Knockout Games would have to be played off on the day with finals going to replays.

Would be in favour of soemthing along these lines, though 12 in the top tier might be too many. And i would play all the finals in Dublin, maybe have Junior and Intermediate on same day in Croke Par? Also i think it's important to have as few dead rubbers as possible and the above proposal would seem to address that.

Mayo's football cships are run off on the same principle though with groups of 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd agree with almost everything here. Only thing I disagree with is having finals outside of Croke Park. Any lad who has ever played the game wants to play there so any inter county final should always be there. Not having them in Croke Park would massively devalue the competition imo.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'd agree with almost everything here. Only thing I disagree with is having finals outside of Croke Park. Any lad who has ever played the game wants to play there so any inter county final should always be there. Not having them in Croke Park would massively devalue the competition imo.

I taught about the Croke Park issue. However we are going away from a split inter county season to where league will lead into championship and be finished in late July to accommodate club football/ hurling.

You have to run off the lower tiers either the weekend before( interfering with hurling final) or after the senior final. If after and it went to a replay you are running three weeks after a senior final. As well if the hurling went to a replay you would have the effect of a Saturday night replay effecting your finals. You be running the two games junior and intermediate finals one after the other on the one day otherwise one would have to be played Saturday and Sunday the other Sunday. I would expect that within a few years you would have large crowds ( up to 50 k each competition nodepending on counties involved) which would could cause issues

At the start the smaller amphitheatre's like Fitzgerald stadium or Pairc Ui Choimhe would bring a better atmosphere to the games. The colour and pomp of finials would bring something to these towns and grounds as well. The GAA is a rural based as well as a urban based organisation. I think it would bring huge colour and drama to these area's

Finally if you took 2-3 Sundays to run off the football you have a issue with making CP available for comigie and ladies football . It would not be possible to hold all the game in CP in the one weekend.

While the tiered structure in hurling works the yo-yo effect of the same teams going down out of the Leinster championship year after year. I think a 12 team structure would prevent this.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I get where you're coming from but I just cant see any player getting excited about an all Ireland final in Cork or Killarney or any other county ground. I've played in Fitzgerald stadium in a club junior final and while it was a great experience for me, it doesnt come close to a croke park experience.

You've already got players and fans saying they dont want a tiered structure because the same value isn't placed on it and taking the finals away from croke park would further enhance that agenda.

You could have semi finals in a ground half way between the 2 counties involved which would make use of the county grounds.

The Tailteann Cup and its inception was an attempt by the previous GAA president, Dublin man John Horan to whitewash the debate that was going on about the excessive funding model of Dublin GAA. At no stage throughout his term, did Mr Horan do anything constructive or positive about the biggest hot potato of all issues facing the GAA and its future, how to rein in what many would describe as the unfair financial doping of GAA in the nation's capital.

Lets be perfectly clear, the Tailteann Cup in its current form is as bad and I would describe as worse than the Tommy Murphy Cup. This would essentially be a tournament to see who finishes 17th in the All-Ireland rankings. Mr Horan talks about giving all stars and playing in Croke Park for the final. Rubbish. If I were a member of a county panel that were eliminated from the provincial championship and our next outing was the Tailteann Cup, I would be applying for my J1 visa for the summer. It's a waste of a competition that would get no buy in from players and managements.

The only way that we can solve the issues regarding the status quo of the current championship and in particular the provincial structure, is have a 3 tier championship with relegation and promotion in all 3 tiers. Incorporating how you do in the league will be crucial to what tier you will be competing in come the summer. Tier 1 would comprise of 12 teams. The current all ireland champions, the 4 provincial champions. All teams competing in the Allianz Division 1 football league and the highest finishers not otherwise qualified in Division Two of the NFL. Three groups of 4 teams, with the top team in each group plus the best second place finisher through to the semi finals. Home and away ties in round robin with the semis and final to be played in Croker. The 3 bottom teams in each of the 3 groups would compete in a a relegation play off to avoid going to Tier 2, with two of those teams relegated to the second tier. The winner of this group will remain in the Sam Maguire Tier 1 championship for the following year.

Tier Two would be made up of the remaining teams in Division two and the leading six teams in Division 3 of the NFL. Also included will be the top two teams in Division Four. Again there will be round robin no more than 4 teams per group with the leading teams in each group qualifying for semi finals and final, again all to be played in Croker. Two teams will be relegated to tier 3 from a relegation play-off. The two finalists in tier two will compete in the tier 1 championship from the following year.

Tier 3 will comprise of the rest of the teams. I would also have a play-off every year before this championship commences between Kilkenny versus New York to decide who will compete in this tier 3 championship. Again this would be a round robin, with no more than 4 teams per group. The top 4 teams would compete in semi finals with the winners of these semis will play not only in the final at Croker, but secure a place in the Tier 2 championship the following year.

I honestly believe that the debate surrounding a future tiered football championship should be all about action and implementation now. The time for waiting and dithering has come to an end. We have seen some alarming scorelines in all 4 provincial championships this year and this has been the way for some time now, with particular focus on the Leinster Championship. These structures that I have advocated in the above will go some way I feel to returning some level of competitivity back in senior inter-county football. It's imperative that all relevant officials, stakeholders and those who are passionate about gaelic football should put any animosity, agendas or vendettas behind them and get together to discuss and agree on a plan that can reignite the game that is in serious decline as the gap between the elite and the weaker counties continues to grow.

Can I conclude with this and this is a continuation of my opening point. Can officialdom in the high offices of GAA HQ please don't proceed with the John Horan brainchild that is the Tailteann Cup in 2022 in its current format. If we learned anything from the Tommy Murphy Cup back in the mid naughties, is that if anyone thinks that teams competing in this rubbish tournament will be in full strength, are codding themselves. I can guarantee you that what we will see is a plethora of guys applying for J1 visas for the summer and mass withdrawals from county panels. The sheer arrogance of John Horan, Tom Ryan and his Croke Park officials that couldn't see this serious deficiencies of this flawed championship and look at the Tommy Murphy Cup as an example in how not to run a championship and yet ploughed on to proceed to run with it was simply mind boggling at best.

The only way that we can solve the issues regarding the status quo of the current championship and in particular the provincial structure, is have a 3 tier championship with relegation and promotion in all 3 tiers. Incorporating how you do in the league will be crucial to what tier you will be competing in come the summer. Tier 1 would comprise of 12 teams. The current all ireland champions, the 4 provincial champions. All teams competing in the Allianz Division 1 football league and the highest finishers not otherwise qualified in Division Two of the NFL. Three groups of 4 teams, with the top team in each group plus the best second place finisher through to the semi finals. Home and away ties in round robin with the semis and final to be played in Croker. The 3 bottom teams in each of the 3 groups would compete in a a relegation play off to avoid going to Tier 2, with two of those teams relegated to the second tier. The winner of this group will remain in the Sam Maguire Tier 1 championship for the following year.

But your proposal also allows for a second tier comp? Ok so its different structure and i'd agree broadly with it but its based on League position as is entry to Tailteann Cup :confused:

But your proposal also allows for a second tier comp? Ok so its different structure and i'd agree broadly with it but its based on League position as is entry to Tailteann Cup :confused:

The point I'm making is that if they are to make the Tailteann Cup more meaningful is if they introduce relegation and promotion to if its decided to proceed with two tiers rather than my preferred option of 3 tiers re football championship structures.

If the Tailteann Cup proceeds with the proposed format from 2022, it rewards nothing. No promotion to avoid playing this championship the following year. For underperforming counties there is no relegation either. It's basically a "losers" tournament with the teams in effect competing to finish 17th or lower in the All Ireland rankings.

This was a typical short-sighted job by the previous GAA President, who was just trying to pretend that he cared for the "weaker" counties. Instead he did nothing to address the even bigger issue facing the GAA at present, how to address the unfair funding model that has been a source of huge public outcry for quite some time now.

The whole purpose of a tiered championship structure is it should stand on its own after initial setup. Its has to be three tiered for a few reasons two tiered mainly that a 16 team competition gives too much chance of dead rubbers. While initial entry can be based on Provincial champions and national league positioning a two up two down for an initial period (2-3) years will resolve any imbalances in the system.

Any championship needing finals in CP as a carrot is doomed to failure. Using Provincial championships and national league positioning long term to decide entry to your senior tier devalues your competition at lower tiers. After initial setup all promotion relegation should be decided solely on your championship positions.

Look at the NL most teams covet the rise in Division more than the winning of the divisional trophy. Who know who won the D2,3 or trophy for the last 3-4 years. Two up two down leaves too much yoyoing in D1 especially

Many counties now target league promotion as a gateway to performance. This structure guarantees each team 5 champions games minimum. Maybe only the bottom two group teams should play off relegation that means 6 games to prevent relegation and 7-8 to win a championship.

In all cases the movement up a division is as much or more of a reward as winning a cup. With slow movement between divisions it would mean when teams progress or regress there would be a reason for it. as I said in the Limerick structure there is virtually no yoyoing with 1 up 1 down.

http://www.milford.limerick.gaa.ie/limerick-club-results

I have put up a link to the Limerick Structure results. Ignore the divisional sections as they have nothing to do with championship structure. This is a fairly easy site to follow with year tabs at bottom. If you look at it all county football and hurling leagues have nothing to do with championships( county players in general are not available before finals). You will notice how little yoyoing happens

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I find it interesting that roscommon are being lambasted for being overly defensive for only scoring 12 points in defeat to Galway.... while Galway exited the championship to Mayo last year scoring 13 points after they were cast as free wheeling attackers let loose by P Joyce after their subjugation to a defensive system to Kevin Walsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I find it interesting that roscommon are being lambasted for being overly defensive for only scoring 12 points in defeat to Galway.... while Galway exited the championship to Mayo last year scoring 13 points after they were cast as free wheeling attackers let loose by P Joyce after their subjugation to a defensive system to Kevin Walsh.

You're 100% right, up to a point. Roscommon were shockingly bad, only it wouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who has seen them this year. They never raised a gallop in any of their 5 competitive games, last Sunday was quite similar to the earlier games v Galway and Armagh. The fact that they went with this outdated strategy that doesn't suit their players and is ineffective deserves criticism, especially when they executed the plan as poorly as they did on Sunday.

Galway and PJ are as cynical as anyone in the country. They get a free pass from national media for some reason, maybe cause PJ was a talented player in an exciting AI win in 98,but during the second half of his career especially he was as cynical a player as anyone, and Galway teams have been for a long time. It shows there is little real analysis done on the main media channels, it's largely an old joys club who trot out clichés to fill the time until the ads come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

I think 12 is fine. Split into 2 groups of 6. For example:

Group A:

Dublin, Donegal, Monaghan, Kildare, Galway, Clare.

Group B:

Kerry, Tyrone, Armagh, Mayo, Roscommon, Meath.

Intermediate and Junior both have 10 but leave the door open for NY and KK if they want to take part.

I don't think a three tier system would get through but we certainly need at least 2 tiers.

Two tiers is a waste of time. First you have group's of four. You will end up with groups like Kerry, Armagh, Roscommon and Cork or Dublin, Monaghan, Kildare and Offaly. And worse still they will try to pawn off an entry system that includes provincial championships structure's. Weaker teams are only gauranteed 3 games, there are six games per group and if you could not have an up or down per tier if provincial championships are involved.

Look at the A&B groups you put up. While Kerry and Dublin should top the groups and Tyrone should come second in GpB. However nothing else is gauranteed. There was is no comfort zone and huge reward if you win two game in the first four. If Clare had Kildare in Doonbeg could Kildare be in trouble of relegation. If Roscommon and Clare were in the relegation battle who would win.

If Kerry slipped against Tyrone up in Clones they could face Dublin in an All Ireland semi final. Mayo finishing third would fancy there chances against Donegal and then Tyrone to reach an AI final.

Group stage matches would matter as one point win or a draw could change the dynamic of the group.

The whole point of group's of six in a 3 tier system is that you should have 6-8 dogfights in each group with two home and two away matches along with a neutral venues.

The trade off for junior and intermediate would be neutral venue matches in CP while senior neutral matches could be played at larger provincial venues.

Anothe incentive to Junior group if London and NY were involved is a overseas game to a group team funded by central funding(match day panel of 26& 10-12 coaching support structure). Neutral venue match against overseas teams could be in NY or UK

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

As I said, we need three tiers but unlikely to get through. You only have to look at the 2 proposals up at Congress to see the lack of imagination.

London would be involved. They are an established county in the NFL. New York is trickier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40339289.html?type=amp

Terrible news my condolences to the players families/friends and the Monaghan GAA community

Would have taught armagh v Monaghan would be postponed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

4 games on this weekend and 2 of them are clashing with each other tomorrow. Absolutely mind-boggling scheduling as always.

I'm quite shocked Boards is the only place this has been mentioned. Should definitely be off. I believe BO'D even trained with the seniors for a short while.

Had a big forore in the Euros over the Denmark game going ahead but this seems to be acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Surprised its going ahead given what happened.

Pitch is an absolute state given we've only seen 3 or 4 warm days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah would have thought that it could have been postponed to midweek given the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surprised the Monaghan match is going ahead today. Even putting it back to tomorrow would have been possible and preferable. Poor chap, may he rest in peace.

Advertisement