Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the name of this tree?

Options
  • 24-06-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the name of this tree?

image_67513345.JPG
    I'm looking to plant something similar in my garden that won't grow to a massive height and has similar red/purple foliage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Sigma101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Sigma101 wrote: »

I'm no expert but I wouldnt say that's copper beech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

macraignil wrote: »

Yes, I'd definitely think it is some sort of prunus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

prunus nigra alright. Nice tree but need a bit of regular pruning to keep them looking sharp. They tend to send off loads of little branches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Would an acer Crimson King be similar to this?

Jane98 wrote: »
    Would an acer Crimson King be similar to this?

It has a bigger leaf very similar colour. Arguably nicer autum colour tones too. They both grow about the same size crimson King a bit more round shape.

It has a bigger leaf very similar colour. Arguably nicer autum colour tones too. They both grow about the same size crimson King a bit more round shape.

Which one has a bigger leaf and nicer autumn tones?

Which one has a bigger leaf and nicer autumn tones?

Crimson King. Sorry could have made that clearer :) but the other has flowers in spring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would go for a copper beech over the other two regardless

• Advertisement

I would go for a copper beech over the other two regardless

I think the copper beech might potentially get a lot bigger than the others. As a matter if interest why would you prefer it?

I think the copper beech might potentially get a lot bigger than the others. As a matter if interest why would you prefer it?

You said you wanted a massive height?
    That is the best tree so in terms of a mature specimen.

You said you wanted a massive height?
    That is the best tree so in terms of a mature specimen.

Sorry that was obviously a typo by me. It should have said I don't want something that will grow to a massive height and spread.

Sorry that was obviously a typo by me. It should have said I don't want something that will grow to a massive height and spread.

Ah, that makes more sense, a purple leaved Malus would be your best choice so.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Ah, that makes more sense, a purple leaved Malus would be your best choice so.

I think you should be able to source a purple leaf apple or cherry tree grown on dwarf or semi-dwarf root stock from a garden centre if you want to keep it very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Purple leaved varieties of elder flower might also be an option. Here is a video clip of one in my garden a few years back and it is now about twice the height it is in the video clip and flowering well at the moment. I read that they can be pruned to suit the size you might want.

macraignil wrote: »
    Purple leaved varieties of elder flower might also be an option. Here is a video clip of one in my garden a few years back and it is now about twice the height it is in the video clip and flowering well at the moment. I read that they can be pruned to suit the size you might want.

Good call, my eye was drawn to one in full bloom in the local park recently

Advertisement