Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 unable to interact with other programs

Options
  • 24-06-2021 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Having an issue with windows and applications where, for example Steam is the active window, no other windows or icons etc are able to be clicked. It is not just Steam it happens with other application windows seem to steal focus such as Windows Task Manager and it only started happening the past 6 months, previously to this everything worked as it should. I put it down to an Autohotkey script but disabling the script doesn't fix the issue. Last week I found a bit more info on the issue when I had to set VSCode to run as admin and now it is happening with VSCode also. Whatever the active window is it will not allow you to interact with any other program etc (steals focus)

I can't find info about it online but it seems like a Windows bug or maybe a redistribution's conflict. Anyone else experiencing it? The only way to work around the issue is to Alt + TAB to a window that does not have the issue or minimise the effected window.

It definitely has to do with running as admin and the type of window it is (borderless etc) because not running VSCode as admin fixes the problem, but also some types of windows running as admin don't have the issue. Strange and annoying one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Try a different mouse or update its driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

fritzelly wrote: »
    Try a different mouse or update its driver

What makes you think it's the mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What makes you think it's the mouse?

Bad driver - happened to me years ago, swapped to a different mouse and problem solved

Even just try deleting the driver so a new one is installed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

fritzelly wrote: »
    Bad driver - happened to me years ago, swapped to a different mouse and problem solved

Even just try deleting the driver so a new one is installed

It is definitely not the mouse driver. Assuming the issue you had was with a different version of windows the 2 are not related. I can fix the steam issue by disabling running the .exe as admin, just like with other applications. As I said it is only a recent issue introduced in a windows update.

The point of the thread is to share a workaround and to find out if other people have the issue.

Advertisement