Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi dropping

Options
  • 24-06-2021 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I’m using a computer and AppleTV in a side room. The router is just on in the other side of the wall.

Most of the time the WiFi signal is strong but in the last couple of days the browser on my phone has been slow and on several occasion streaming on the AppleTV had stalled. Just ten minutes ago I lost internet on my phone.

And since Monday the signal strength for phone calls has been at a constant two bars but phones calls have been fine except for one time when I could not hear the other person.

The router is just on the other side of the wall.

What could be causing this to start happening this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

First, look as sources of Wifi interference. Description here.

You can use a utility like Wifi Scanner to see which Wifi channel you're on, and which Wifi channels surrounding networks, like your neighbour's, use. You can manually set your Wifi channel to be at the opposite end of the spectrum of surrounding networks (neighbour > ch1, you > ch12).

If you're in the same room as the router, switching off the 2.4GHz network entirely, and only use 5GHz may also be a good strategy.

This is all based on the assumption that the thread title 'Wifi dropping' is an accurate description. The symptoms you describe could also be caused by a slow internet connection, while Wifi itself is actually perfectly fine. Use speedtest.net to see what happens next time you see the slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

First, look as sources of Wifi interference. Description here.

You can use a utility like Wifi Scanner to see which Wifi channel you're on, and which Wifi channels surrounding networks, like your neighbour's, use. You can manually set your Wifi channel to be at the opposite end of the spectrum of surrounding networks (neighbour > ch1, you > ch12).

If you're in the same room as the router, switching off the 2.4GHz network entirely, and only use 5GHz may also be a good strategy.

This is all based on the assumption that the thread title 'Wifi dropping' is an accurate description. The symptoms you describe could also be caused by a slow internet connection, while Wifi itself is actually perfectly fine. Use speedtest.net to see what happens next time you see the slow down.

Thank you for responding.

I had looked at that Apple Support page yesterday but I can’t find any possible interferences.

I cannot afford WiFi Scanner. Can you suggest a similar free app?

Where I lived before had Eir and it was easy to see and switch between 2.4GHz and 5, but this house has Sky and there is no option to choose 2.4GHz and 5.

I assumed it is the WiFi that is the problem as there is no problems we know of in other rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lovebump

Have you tried power cycling the router i.e unplug the router from the power socket and leave it for 5-10mins then plug it back in and power it on.

lovebump wrote: »
    Have you tried power cycling the router i.e unplug the router from the power socket and leave it for 5-10mins then plug it back in and power it on.

I tired that after the second time but the problem occurred a few days later but thank you for the suggestion.

However, the problem has not happened since I posted about it. So fingers crossed.

DopeTech wrote: »
    I seen it mentioned here the other day that eir were messing with DNS and it was causing these sorts of problems for some users. They changed the DNS servers from google to their own. If you change them back to google the issue should go away.

The provider in this house is Sky though.

The problem hasn’t happened again since I started the thread so jbopefully whatsoever it is has sorted itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

I've been having exactly the same problem using Eir. After a couple of months complaining, I felt it was actually a fault with the modem, Eir came out and changed the modem which was pretty old. So far, this seems to have rectified the problem.
    To be fair to Eir it was a very intermittent problem, they had already tried resets etc...

Advertisement