Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood gyms shady behaviour

Options
  • 24-06-2021 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I joined a Westwood gym in Dublin near the end of 2019.
    In order to sign up they asked me to come in and meet a sales member. It was all very odd, they gave me a big sales pitch before telling me there was a 500 euro sign up fee on top of the monthly membership fee.
    I straight away said no thanks and got up to leave, finally they went down to I believe 200 euro after "talking to the manager" and I agreed. Is this normal and did I get done by their sales tactics?

Anyway, Covid19 came around and after trying to get an answer several times from the gym on whether I could postpone membership until reopening I finally gave up and told them to cut direct payments until after Covid19.
    I contacted them this week to get membership reinstated and kick back off monthly payment and they are telling me I need to repay "sign up fees".

Is this normal?, I only stopped paying because the gym was closed due to covid.
    They again quoted me 200 euro but said they can have a "word to manager" about cutting a bit.

Any opinions appreciated. Seems like a terrible way to treat members on the back of covid. But, also their whole sales pitch of sign on fee seemingly being whatever customer is willing to pay is so dodge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Seeds2098 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I joined a Westwood gym in Dublin near the end of 2019.
    In order to sign up they asked me to come in and meet a sales member. It was all very odd, they gave me a big sales pitch before telling me there was a 500 euro sign up fee on top of the monthly membership fee.
    I straight away said no thanks and got up to leave, finally they went down to I believe 200 euro after "talking to the manager" and I agreed. Is this normal and did I get done by their sales tactics?

Anyway, Covid19 came around and after trying to get an answer several times from the gym on whether I could postpone membership until reopening I finally gave up and told them to cut direct payments until after Covid19.
    I contacted them this week to get membership reinstated and kick back off monthly payment and they are telling me I need to repay "sign up fees".

Is this normal?, I only stopped paying because the gym was closed due to covid.
    They again quoted me 200 euro but said they can have a "word to manager" about cutting a bit.

Any opinions appreciated. Seems like a terrible way to treat members on the back of covid. But, also their whole sales pitch of sign on fee seemingly being whatever customer is willing to pay is so dodge.

Not sure why they keep doing that, everyone is aware of this bs

PM sent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was hoping this was going to be a thread about BMW X5 driving boyos selling gear in the changing rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Westwood stopped payments anyway, nobody has paid an extra penny for closed days, they arent doing anything shady, you left and now want to rejoin, its up to you and your negotiating skills now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Seeds2098

silverharp wrote: »
    Westwood stopped payments anyway, nobody has paid an extra penny for closed days, they arent doing anything shady, you left and now want to rejoin, its up to you and your negotiating skills now.

So we count covid period as leaving? So everyone will have to pay rejoin fees?

So we count covid period as leaving? So everyone will have to pay rejoin fees?

no they suspended, they stopped taking money themselves , there was no need to talk to them at all

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

This was your mistake, as far as Westwood were concerned this was you ending your membership.

Now that you're trying to come back the signing fee (which is steep) applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Smee_Again wrote: »
    This was your mistake, as far as Westwood were concerned this was you ending your membership.

Now that you're trying to come back the signing fee (which is steep) applies.

What was he supposed to do?, keep paying for a service he couldn't use?
    Does this mean that all other members have to pay a signup fee also?

What was he supposed to do?, keep paying for a service he couldn't use?
    Does this mean that all other members have to pay a signup fee also?

He wasn't paying, Westwood stopped collecting direct debits back March/April in lockdown 1, and again in February 2021 because it was too late to cancel January's payment.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    He wasn't paying, Westwood stopped collecting direct debits back March/April in lockdown 1, and again in February 2021 because it was too late to cancel January's payment.

You have completely lost me.

I stopped paying when the gyms were not available to use due to covid restrictions.

I stopped paying when the gyms were not available to use due to covid restrictions.

so you left the gym, had you done nothing Westwood would have stopped taking your money anyway. Its not a complex thing to understand, from their point of view you left.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    so you left the gym, had you done nothing Westwood would have stopped taking your money anyway. Its not a complex thing to understand, from their point of view you left.

As far as I was concerned I was in same bracket as everyone else in the gym.

As far as I was concerned I was in same bracket as everyone else in the gym.

There is no easier way to explain it, nobody else will have cancelled payments if they had the intention of coming back after the lockdown. If some people decided they were done with the gym they would have done what you did. Its not like a gym will do an exit interview :pac:

My advice would be try to sign up at one of their quieter locations, Sandymount would be the best and you might be able to rejoin with a €40-€50 fee if you haggle them down and get them to "speak to the manager", or find another gym to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He said he told them to cut payments until after COVID was over, surely they would have realised he wasn't leaving and told him that actually we won't be taking any DD payments so no need to cancel?

He said he told them to cut payments until after COVID was over, surely they would have realised he wasn't leaving and told him that actually we won't be taking any DD payments so no need to cancel?

I guess a miscommunication could be possible but I'd guess whoever he was talking to would have had several exact queries, if the gym is seeing it different get onto their head office and see if they will waive any rejoining fees

I really don't know how to make it any clearer. OP cancelled his monthly subscription meaning he was no longer a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

I think Westwood have been pretty good during they pandemic, communicated by email pretty clearly and stopped taking direct debits as soon as they shut down both times.

@OP - clearly there has been a miscommunication and they think that you have cancelled your membership - give em a call and try to work it out, they are normally flexible. Don’t think they are doing anything shady at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Got this text this morning....wow what a saving on the joining fee lol

" Need to get fit in 2022? Start back at West Wood Club for only €29 joining fee. Exclusive 3-Day SALE for past members. 28th to 30th Dec. Normal joining fee €599. You pay ONLY €29. SAVE €570. SALE ENDS 8pm Thur 30th Dec. Call me, 012893208. Thanks, Mike. Txt GYM STOP to 51444 to optout

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Famous Blue Raincoat

I got that, too. Then I thought if we have another lockdown how much use would I get out of it...

Anybody know what the annual membership fee is on top of that €29?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Famous Blue Raincoat

It's proving very elusive to find the annual membership fee, and it's not on the Westwood website, so that's not very encouraging.

I rang, yesterday and today, but nobody returned the call or could tell me the price. It sounds, well, shady!

Anybody here know what the annual membership fee is for an ordinary working adult?

In the days of low cost flexible contract gyms like Flye fit, how do extortionate companies like Westwood even exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

Im an over 60 member and pay 52 a month,I think its 80 a month for standard membership but will confirm with my son,the sign on is always reduced to below a hundred and it is there to stop people leaving all the time and rejoining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The alleged founder died in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

First class facilities,huge range of classes and well run facility.I would say there is a social aspect to being in a gym like Westwood and for some it might be an intrinsic part of their lifestyle/social life.Its not expensive if you go 3 or 4 times a week,Its chalk and cheese comparing Westwood to cheaper options and the range of cost options for gyms reflect the different requirements customers have.Westwood would change to a cheaper option in a heart beat if it made more money and was sustainable .The main reason they wont is it takes a huge capital investment to set up in competition with Westwood,not true for the cheaper gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yes its normal. Just walk out and say you are willing to pay a monthly fee but not a "membership fee". After a few days they will call you again with a better offer. Tell them no. Monthly fee only or you are going down to join "inert other gym name here". They will knock off 100% of the "membership fee" for you.

OP they made you feel like you got €300 off the €500 price. The real story is you were robbed of €200.

Never ever pay a gym membership fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are great gyms and worth the money for the facilities, even though the spa area is f*cked in Clontarf for ages now.

I wanted to get one of these fabled 4 day passes for my partner, has anyone successfully used one of these? I assume they'll try and get her to join but do they actually give you a pass for 4 days?

Yeah miss the spa area terrible as was the reward after a session on bike or whatever.I did use the pass many years ago and it did work.

I would imagine the Spa being out at least tempered any inclination to up prices for year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Last year they were doing one day passes for €30 (refunded if you join - though you wont get your membership fee reduced to less than €30 in that case :) ) or if your are a member you could get one for free every now and again if you asked nicely.

Edit:I just realized what year it nearly is. So not last year. the year before 2019/2020

Yeah, I guess I just want to do cardio and weights. I don't need more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Oh agreed id never pay it.

Thinking about rejoining Leopardstown as they ate class facilties although would need to see what is open in the jacuzzi area etc given covid. I also used to use the pool gym equipment too the odd time, not sure if that's still there.

It's some price difference between Gym Plus and WW but facilities are not that comparable....

Advertisement