Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood gyms shady behaviour

13»

Comments

We have different needs I guess. I go to the gym to workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

I thought we talked about the cost of the gym. I do agree Westwood upfront asking money insane. But facilities more comprehensive in comparison to Ben or Fly...

I guess my point was I just want access to good exercise equipment, and my local Flye Fit has plenty and it costs far less.

If you want a spa and all that jazz and you think it's worth 89 euro a month, then fair play. It's just not worth that much to me. It seems frivolous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Funnily enough I think the thing that bugs people most about WW is not the outright cost, it's all the sales stuff that comes along with walking in the door and trying to join, and the inevitable tug of war over joining fees.

U.S style sales tactics just annoy the shite out of most Irish people, I'm amazed so many businesses pay to implement them. I see the same thing with other gyms that do things like refuse to be transparent about their pricing until you've slogged through some sales phone call... Drives me bonkers. I once tried to join a gym and just wanted to see the timetable to confirm it suited me, and they just could not bring themselves to do it without me going through whatever other steps they had in their script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think the entrance fee is to act as a deterrent to those members that leave and rejoin regularly,have done it myself ,leave in May and regret not being a member in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

That’s fair, but there must be a better solution - maybe to incentivise continuity of membership rather than penalising sign ups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

"U.S style sales tactics just annoy the shite out of most Irish people, I'm amazed so many businesses pay to implement them"

1000 times this. I've joined Westwoods several times over the years and the gyms and facilities are always worth the price but I am genuinely embarrassed for the sales guys going through their pitch, I honestly don't know why it still happens. It must put so many willing customers off.

The last time I actually said "look. Can we not go through the thing where you pretend to go and ask your boss to do a discount on the joining fee, and he agrees but he says it's for today only? I'm prepared to pay the right amount here" and it actually made things more uncomfortable, not less like I hoped 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Good point, tbf. I would think being in contract for 12 months would be enough of a commitment, or a deterrent from leaving and rejoining regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A joining fee does two things...

It prevents people joining and leaving on a whim. In studies, it has been shown to have the biggest positive impact on member retention.

Generally, the sales commission comes from the joining fee so the monthly / annual fee is budgeted for fully.

In some places, a sales person gets a % of the JF or they don't get commission if they don't get a high enough JF so they don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Anyone know how much Westwood charge now for monthly and annual off-peak?

• Advertisement
Advertisement