Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderberry Tree

Options
  • 24-06-2021 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm hoping someone can help me.

My neighbour has an elderberry tree/bush which was planted many years ago. The previous neighbours always had it pruned and it never bothered me.

This neighbour let it go for a long time and it is now grown wild. He has made some attempts to prune it this year but imo he has left it too late. My problem is that this year, it appears to have become invested with black fly. Green branches have clusters of black. My garden has flies buzzing everywhere and I can forget about leaving my window or back door open as they come into the house. This is bothering my young son so much that he is afraid to go outside.

I have two questions:
    1: We are cutting the tree that has come into our garden. I know by law I am supposed to put it back in my neighbours garden but I don't want to cause any hard feelings ( even though we don't know eachother or talk). However, I don't see why I should be out of pocket going to the dump with numerous bags. Do I put it back to his garden?

2: Can I ask him to remove it due to the infestation? Surely he notices the increase in flies.

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Pics to give an idea what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You say you don't know the neighbour, or talk. This seems like a good opportunity to get to know him? There doesn't seem to be any animosity between you at the moment, so why not?

You are supposed to ask the neighbour if he wants the branches you cut off his tree, he does not have to accept them, you are not supposed to just dump them in his garden.

He has already cut the tree back to some extent, so is aware of the need to control it. Cutting it back would not make any difference to the presence of blackfly. However elder can be rather sprawling, scruffy trees and not really suited to a small suburban garden. It is a good idea to cut them back to maintain flowers and fruit anyway.

Before you go any further go and have a chat with him and see if you can come up with an amicable arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

You must offer back the branches, not just drop them into his garden.

Advertisement