Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need guidance with installing USB charger

Options
  • 25-06-2021 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello!

(Note I am a newbie in bike things. I dont even own the screwdriver to do mechanic-stuff and have no idea about the cost/complexity of these things)

So I have a 2018 CBR500 and I bought a quick charge USB charger.

I wanted to get this installed so I called my mechanic but he was saying its a 2ish hour job and is going to cost like 200+. I remember paying him something like 250 when I was installing heated grips but that sounds complicated enough (eg changing grips etc) so I though its justified. But another 200 for just a USB charger is mad as technically you just have to power it so I am thinking of trying it out myself.

The adaptor has 3 wires: positive, negative AND a yellow 'accessory wire'. The first two make sense they connect to the battery but the third is basically there to connect somewhere so that it gets power only when ignition is on so it doesnt kill the battery (which is how I want)

I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube but I am just confused. Some people take the side fairing off and they have a port in which they connect the cables. Some ordered their own switch which connects between the battery and charger while some people cut and solder stuff and connect it to cables under the seat.

I was just wondering if anyone of you has done this, would you be able to point me which guide I should follow? Also, is it worth doing it myself or should I just bite the bullet and pay up (again, considering this would be the first time I even look at my battery lmao)

P.S if there are multiple connectors then I am not sure which one the mechanic used to power the heated grips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

alanman wrote: »
    Hello!

(Note I am a newbie in bike things. I dont even own the screwdriver to do mechanic-stuff and have no idea about the cost/complexity of these things)

So I have a 2018 CBR500 and I bought a quick charge USB charger.

I wanted to get this installed so I called my mechanic but he was saying its a 2ish hour job and is going to cost like 200+. I remember paying him something like 250 when I was installing heated grips but that sounds complicated enough (eg changing grips etc) so I though its justified. But another 200 for just a USB charger is mad as technically you just have to power it so I am thinking of trying it out myself.

The adaptor has 3 wires: positive, negative AND a yellow 'accessory wire'. The first two make sense they connect to the battery but the third is basically there to connect somewhere so that it gets power only when ignition is on so it doesnt kill the battery (which is how I want)

I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube but I am just confused. Some people take the side fairing off and they have a port in which they connect the cables. Some ordered their own switch which connects between the battery and charger while some people cut and solder stuff and connect it to cables under the seat.

I was just wondering if anyone of you has done this, would you be able to point me which guide I should follow? Also, is it worth doing it myself or should I just bite the bullet and pay up (again, considering this would be the first time I even look at my battery lmao)

P.S if there are multiple connectors then I am not sure which one the mechanic used to power the heated grips

250 euro to install grips!!!
    Was that including the cost of the grips, out of curiousity were they oxford grips? (Makes a difference as they're plug and play, no soldering and all that needed)

How are you with Soldering?
    I would be inclines to install myself, but working on bikes is part of the enjoyment of these things for me.

You're yellow wire is what would be referred to as a trigger wire by some.
    So that can be wired into the headlight or other bits.
    I've done it a few times on different bikes, but I would Recommend being somewhat decent at soldering and having heatshrink to hand.

I have an SAE linked USB for the DR, which is pretty handy. I'd recommend having an SAE lead on the bike anyway to make it easier to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Do any of your mates/family have a soldering iron. Im not brilliant with electrics but if somebody was half decent, they could help. Save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

goblin59 wrote: »
    250 euro to install grips!!!
    Was that including the cost of the grips, out of curiousity were they oxford grips? (Makes a difference as they're plug and play, no soldering and all that needed)

How are you with Soldering?
    I would be inclines to install myself, but working on bikes is part of the enjoyment of these things for me.

You're yellow wire is what would be referred to as a trigger wire by some.
    So that can be wired into the headlight or other bits.
    I've done it a few times on different bikes, but I would Recommend being somewhat decent at soldering and having heatshrink to hand.

I have an SAE linked USB for the DR, which is pretty handy. I'd recommend having an SAE lead on the bike anyway to make it easier to charge

No that was just installation. I had bought the heated grips separately from mega bikes so 250 was just his labour for installing them. And yes, they were Oxford ones (Oxford sports I think? Could be wrong on the exact version though)

So I just googled SAE Lead and I think I understand what you're talking about. Will look into it. Thank you.

GBX wrote: »
    Do any of your mates/family have a soldering iron. Im not brilliant with electrics but if somebody was half decent, they could help. Save a few quid.

Not sure but I'll ask around. Tbf even if I buy the soldering iron and mess up 3 different chargers, that's still going to cost less than what I'll have to pay the mechanic lmao

Also, I feel this should be simple enough for me to get started with doing some bike stuff myself

Thanks for your replies btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

250 for fitting - €80~ an hour is expensive! Taking your time with basic knowledge wouldn't take that long. They know how to charge people!

That's the instructions. If you can get somebody to help you solder/fit the wires you'd have it done in no time
    https://app.box.com/s/m7ig64lp7mfp36naz5krk9w6y5rog2xn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Alanman - where are you based? There might be someone on here local to you who might help.

Wiring in a USB socket is actually fierce easy.

Your bike will have some circuits which are "ignition switched" as people say. That means they get 12V from the battery when the bike is on. You'd like the USB socket to be get it's 12V feed from one of these circuits so it's off when the bike is off. That said, if there's nothing connected to the USB socket when the bike is off, you could actually just wire it directly to the battery. I've one connected direct to the battery on my Deauville (added into a pannier so I can charge things when off the bike having a coffee or whatever).

Sometimes bikes have a an accessory fuse circuit built in, I don't know if the CB has one, but if so that'll be switched from the ignition and you can wire it in there. Maybe check on a CB-specific forum to see if anyone knows about that or get yourself a Haynes manual (these are invaluable if you want to do a bit of work on the bike yourself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

I've seen usb chargers mentioned with a switch so they don't need isolating via the switched circuit and won't drain the battery when not in use. Two wires to connect to battery.

Btw, that money to install Oxford grips - also 2 connections cos they don't need isolating either - is insane.

Change your mechanic!

I still have a receipt here from mine. Can't read half of what he's written on it, but he did a full service, installed a double USB charger and fitted hand guards for me - all for €190!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

so oxford heated grips are designed to be plug and play,
    You run a lead straight to the battery and then they replace your grips.
    The hardest part about them is just removing the old grips and putting them on.

Your mechanic is just taking advantage by the sounds of it.
    Where in Ireland are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

A few people have asked, I am based in Dublin.

I'm open for your suggestions on a mechanic who doesnt fleece me haha
    goblin59 wrote: »
    so oxford heated grips are designed to be plug and play,
    You run a lead straight to the battery and then they replace your grips.
    The hardest part about them is just removing the old grips and putting them on.

Your mechanic is just taking advantage by the sounds of it.
    Where in Ireland are you?

Yeah the mechanic most likely saw I dont know about bikes so he is taking the piss. When I called him about how much it will cost for the charger he didnt give me an exact quote for it saying "its a long job so it could take 2+ hours and the exact cost will depend on how long it takes" with the minimum costing 200. But reading all your inputs, its not really a difficult thing lol.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Change your mechanic!

I still have a receipt here from mine. Can't read half of what he's written on it, but he did a full service, installed a double USB charger and fitted hand guards for me - all for €190!

wtf I feel scammed now lol. I recently paid him 200 for a oil change and check-up. It wasnt even a full service, just changing the oil and making sure everything else is ok. 200 for that.

Breezin wrote: »
    I've seen usb chargers mentioned with a switch so they don't need isolating via the switched circuit and won't drain the battery when not in use. Two wires to connect to battery.

Btw, that money to install Oxford grips - also 2 connections cos they don't need isolating either - is insane.

hmm the one I have doesnt have the switch.
    and yes, everyone has said I paid too much - maybe I shouldve asked on here how much it costs haha

Fabio wrote: »
    Alanman - where are you based? There might be someone on here local to you who might help.

Wiring in a USB socket is actually fierce easy.

Your bike will have some circuits which are "ignition switched" as people say. That means they get 12V from the battery when the bike is on. You'd like the USB socket to be get it's 12V feed from one of these circuits so it's off when the bike is off. That said, if there's nothing connected to the USB socket when the bike is off, you could actually just wire it directly to the battery. I've one connected direct to the battery on my Deauville (added into a pannier so I can charge things when off the bike having a coffee or whatever).

Sometimes bikes have a an accessory fuse circuit built in, I don't know if the CB has one, but if so that'll be switched from the ignition and you can wire it in there. Maybe check on a CB-specific forum to see if anyone knows about that or get yourself a Haynes manual (these are invaluable if you want to do a bit of work on the bike yourself).

Would that be safe? I mean if I dont have the phone plugged into the USB port, will the charger draw any current? I just dont want the battery to die when its parked.

Thanks for guiding me to the Haynes manual. I didnt even know it was a thing. I definitely need something like that if I want to get into working on motorbikes by myself

Thanks everyone for your help :D

Advertisement