Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish Game/Cookery/Travel shows

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

On the subject of Don't Feed The Gondolas it definitely wouldn't get made today. Those sections where theyd send Moncrief to some small town in Longford or wherever where he'd do vox pops with some plastered fellas drinking in a field while the studio panel made snide remarks came across as kind of exploitative. Then Brendan O Connor in his pre cuddly days, I remember when Michael D Higgins was a guest and BOC repeatedly tried to get him to swear. " go on say ****!".

Brendan O' Connor came across as a right cúnt back in those days. Bit like Roy Keane, a belligerent, sneering prick who grew into a bit of a teddy bear in middle age.

Is it a Cork thing or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Challenging Times, basically RTEs answer to University Challenge. Presented by Kevin Myers in typical snarky mode.

Myers was also one of the panelists on Thats All We Have Time For, absolutely dire attempt at a Never Mind The Buzzcocks type comedy panel show that was cancelled after one series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Brendan O' Connor came across as a right cúnt back in those days. Bit like Roy Keane, a belligerent, sneering prick who grew into a bit of a teddy bear in middle age.

Is it a Cork thing or something

Roy Keane was someone who was at the top of his game and was a no-nonsense professional who didn't compromise with twats and held to his beliefs and perspectives, for better or worse.

Brendan O'Connor was a professional snide who ended up wh*ring himself out to the Sunday Independent, joining an army of bullsh*tters fawning over a crony class in Irish society. "The real ballsy guys are out buying property now."

No comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Keith Duffy - The Box - I've never seen it and there are no clips of it anywhere but there is a Gift Grub sketch of it that really makes me want to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Challenging Times, basically RTEs answer to University Challenge. Presented by Kevin Myers in typical snarky mode.

Myers was also one of the panelists on Thats All We Have Time For, absolutely dire attempt at a Never Mind The Buzzcocks type comedy panel show that was cancelled after one series.

That was more an attempt at Have I Got News For You. Ruined by bad star choices.

There was actually a pilot of a real Irish HIGNFY presented by Dermot Morgan many many years before

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember a sports quiz around 2002 with Tracey Piggott and Joe Brolly it was a bit weird, in fairness the one with Jacqui Hurley, Shane Byrne and Ruby Walsh in recent years was decent.

Good Grief Moncrief, ran for one series in the Summer of 1996. Was shown on RTE 1 which was probably a bad decision when it would have been better suited to the more offbeat Network 2 late night slot. Only two interviews I can remember were Chris Penn in the opening programme(very awkward) and the duo behind that gawdawful Irish Viz rip off Fitz (a right smug pair considering Fitz was utter gash).

Don't know if talent shows fit the thread but there's two i remember from long before they became ubiquitous. Screen Test, presented by Mike Murphy mid 80s. John Spillanes group the Stargazers were one of the acts on it.

There was another show that ran circa 1993_95 called Go For It. I remember one time they had a guy from Bosnia, this was when the war there was still actually ongoing. Yer man had a sword swallowing act. One of the panel of judges, a woman, cant remember her name got quite offended by his act and said it was "sickening" or she used some words to that effect.

Edit: I've just remembered it was razor blades he was swallowing, not swords. Those disposable blades that I don't think you get anymore, or ar least I haven't seen them in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The charades show Play the Game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There was another show that ran circa 1993_95 called Go For It. I remember one time they had a guy from Bosnia, this was when the war there was still actually ongoing. Yer man had a sword swallowing act. One of the panel of judges, a woman, cant remember her name got quite offended by his act and said it was "sickening" or she used some words to that effect.

Did Marty Whelan present that (before he went grey)?
    I think the tenor Ronan Tynan appeared on that.

Edit: he won! https://www.list.co.uk/event/1408909-ronan-tynan/

Aglomerado wrote: »

Edit: he won https://www.list.co.uk/event/1408909-ronan-tynan/

He did

Aglomerado wrote: »

Edit: he won! https://www.list.co.uk/event/1408909-ronan-tynan/

Yes thats right, I forgot Ronan Tynan was on it, that was his big break as a singer. (That link though. Televsion show from the United Kingdom???)

Another contestant I remember was a stand up comic, youngish fella. He clearly was a big Woody Allen fan because his whole stage persona and appearance, down to the glasses, were based on Woody. The poor chaps act bombed though. His opening joke went "in college i was caught entertaining a girl in my dorm, they even took away my juggling balls". He paused for a laugh from the audience and was greeted by stone silence. All the rest of his jokes were greeted like that.

Rapid Roulette, a quiz show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

branie2 wrote: »
    Rapid Roulette, a quiz show

Presented by Maurie Taylor who might well have been the inspiration for Alan Partridge.
    He was later succeeded by Maxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Speedsie wrote: »
    Aidan Walsh - Master of the Universe, sort of a n early David O'Doherty.
    https://vimeo.com/206885726

I thought Blackboard Jungle was more late 80s/ early 90s, but yep, wasn't great.

Quicksilver anyone? Stop the lights for five P.

My dad still uses the phrase "stop the lights"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Beat Box with Simon Young on Sunday mornings back in the 90's. He would regularly have a hungover and disheveled looking Smiley Bolger as a guest on the show. Dave Fanning was on it also for a while, he left his microphone on during a Boyzone video where could be heard saying that the band "were all f**king useless"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The Beat Box with Simon Young on Sunday mornings back in the 90's. He would regularly have a hungover and disheveled looking Smiley Bolger as a guest on the show. Dave Fanning was on it also for a while, he left his microphone on during a Boyzone video where could be heard saying that the band "were all f**king useless"

I remember him saying Louis Walsh said the next boy band he was getting together wouldn't have passengers. More or less saying some in Boyzone couldn't sing really.

Bit of Talkabout with Ian Dempsey. Dont think he was on it long before being replaced by Alan Hughes.

https://youtu.be/pvAE4fxj8uc

I Dare Ya. Lowest common denominator stuff from tail end of the Celtic Tiger. Two "comedians" carrying out stupid pranks suggested by viewers. One of the presenters is not going to be seen on our screens again.

Advertisement