Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Janssen concerns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny had an expert on this morning and it might be worth a listen to. Maybe I heard wrong but I'm almost certain he said j&j has around 60 percent against Delta. He also said that it would almost certainly need a booster in the Autumn

This was literally announced by Janssen today. It’s 85% effective against severe disease and fully effective against hospitalisation. Booster not required for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This was literally announced by Janssen today. It’s 85% effective against severe disease and fully effective against hospitalisation. Booster not required for the foreseeable future.
    Yep, data looks excellent from both J&J's own testing and South African data yesterday.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/safrican-scientist-data-show-jj-vaccine-works-well-against-delta-variant-2021-07-02/

Super job by a single-dose vaccine. It might need a booster in the future, but the same might apply to any/all of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

hmmm wrote: »
    Yep, data looks excellent from both J&J's own testing and South African data yesterday.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/safrican-scientist-data-show-jj-vaccine-works-well-against-delta-variant-2021-07-02/

Super job by a single-dose vaccine. It might need a booster in the future, but the same might apply to any/all of the vaccines.

Saw that, the news from is SA is very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Apologies if this has been covered. I received the Janssen a few weeks ago, and while relieved to get it, I was a bit disappointed that I was not getting Pfizer or another two dose vaccine, having heard that its efficacy rates were not as good as some of the other vaccines.

Unfortunately this feeling has been compounded by the recent news of two doses being far more effective against the Delta.

Does anyone know if getting a second Jansen jab is an option, and are there plans to increase it to a two dose programme?

I received the 1 shot Janssen, J&J jab , the nurse said I would probably need a booster jab in 12 months time.

Ive no reason to believe that it is anyway less effective against the DELTA variant.

I asked this question to the nurse in DCU and she said she was not aware of any efficacy rates issues with it against the DELTA variant.

Have you any medical research to back up what your saying about the Janssen jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Well we know its not fully effective against hospitalization because people have ended up in hospital with all the vaccines. Again on pat Kenny it was stated that over 400 cases of covid with people fully vaccinated with AZ have contracted Covid-19 in the UK. Some with severe covid requiring a stay in hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who really cares what your given, they'll all keep ya out of hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny had an expert on this morning and it might be worth a listen to. Maybe I heard wrong but I'm almost certain he said j&j has around 60 percent against Delta. He also said that it would almost certainly need a booster in the Autumn

I'll get you 10 experts to talk about whatever answer you want to hear.

The "experts" are rolled out as if they know everything - they don't. nobody does.

They may have an opinion based on their expertise in a field, but you will always find someone in the same field that will have a different opinion.

And then too many people are mixing up efficacy v getting mild covid, v being seriously ill from covid and v dying from covid.

ALL vaccines have been proven to be near 100% preventing death. So if you are concerned about death, get the vaccine, any covid vaccine and you will not die.

ALL vaccines have very high protection against serious illness. 90%+ in all cases I believe. So if you want to be protected against serious illness, get a vaccine, any vaccine.

The differing area is in efficacy in getting covid. I know some young people who got covid. It was a mild head cold, they were feeling groggy for 2-3 days and completely clear in a week and no lasting effects on them or any of their family members (all got it). I don't think there should be massive fear in getting a mild does - just like getting a bad cold but you don't want flu or pneumonia.

And all "experts" agree that if you get 90% + of the adult population vaccinated, it kills off the virus as it doesn't have enough people to transmit.

Just get a vaccine, any vaccine and you are protected against serious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Tenger wrote: »
    Is the "2 shot Jansen trial" just going to be another shot of the same one?

I got the Jansen shot myself a while back. I dont have any major worries about it. Technically it is less effective (based on the trail data) but in reality it not a big difference.

Ya, it was the same shot twice.

Went and had my check-up this week.

If I had the placebo they would have given me the one-shot dose there and then. It looks like the one-shot trial is good enough for all the regulators so that is what they will give going forward.

This is great as we can get twice the amount of people jabbed compared to the same amount of vaccines with the others. Currently, it's not for profit either.
    I'm 6 months into my trial, I will go back in 6 months for bloods and a check-up. As they said today it's good for at least 8 months but all that means is it's still working as they don't have the data past 8 months.

They did flag I have had high blood pressure on all my visits (It's always been high when I have it done) and to get it checked out with the GP, So these checkups are good too. I'm a typical man who never visits my doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Janssen publishing promising results against Delta today. Relax Op.

Advertisement