Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Per an interview with Gen. Petraeus, one of the reasons senior officers are being killed by the Ukrainians is due to destruction of the Russian militaries communication capabilities in Ukraine. Apparently they're desperate enough to confiscate cellphones from Ukrainians and use them, though at one point the Ukrainians had blocked calls to Russia (via dial code.) That and there's no 'on the ground' communication, apparently NCO's aren't a thing in the Russian military, everything's hierarchy of reporting, so the generals needing intel rock up to the front lines, where the Ukrainians are waiting. US lost one senior officer in Afghanistan(?, maybe Iraq), Russia maybe as many as 10. Crazy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/20/politics/clarence-thomas-hospitalized/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

It makes life very tough and dangerous for the civilians being targeted, but estimates of the effect on civilian morale can be overestimated. The Germans and the Allies found this out during WW2, especially the Allies, when years bombing of cities on a huge scale failed to break German morale, even after the Darmstadt, Hamburg and Dresden firestorms . Berlin was being bombed regularly by 1945, but it still took Russian boots on the ground to win. And tens of thousands of owners of those boots were dead by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You have to ask do Russians actually understand what dropping a nuclear weapon on a city actually means and the damage that would be done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd doubt everything that comes out of Russia these days. Lot of smokes and mirrors.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Dont believe Russia is getting hammered by the Ukraine. The news channels BBC, SKY RTE ect paint a far bleaker picture..

Russia are in the process of destroying the country that they have gone in to liberate. Every morning i turn my phone on i pray that something has happened to make all this stop. Its making me sick, i cant believe this little man is so evil. Its heart breaking and fills me with rage when these f*ckers have a camera in front of them and the pure filthy lies they spew. I hope they burn and all their poxy supporters too..

But more than anything i want it to stop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Can't see it open to general share trading any time soon, currently the second longest stock exchange closure I believe, asides from government bonds will it beat the 1914 four month closure of the NYSE I wonder?

The opinion of the Russian people in general means nothing to Putin, the only poll that would count is his own when it comes to next steps.

Russian propaganda would probably tell them there be a little bit of dirty air for a while, wear a mask for a bit, be grand and the end result would be the western terrorists/navis/aggressors (whatever they call the West these days) will bend to the might of Russia. There certainly would be no mention of the MAD doctrine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A German Navy P-3 orion, anti-submarine/anti-shipping aircraft is currently operating extremely close to Kaliningrad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

So there are actually Russians who think they should invade and terrorise the USA next?

Lol. Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

You'd have to consider it being propaganda rather than a fair representation of the General Russian people. It's Vlad's state of mind we need to worry about. Clearly he has no problem with civilians being targeted - so, major tick on the psychopath test there. Hopefully he loves himself too much/isn't terminally ill to escalate this to nukes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Zelensky addressed the Israeli parliament this weekend as his "Jewish brothers and sisters". It's the only military "superpower" in the Middle East, supposedly shares western values, and one of the few democracies that has been hesitant to condemn the invasion. It's perfectly understandable that therefore people are focusing briefly on the country.

But don't let that stop you wheeling out the usual lazy theories of antisemitism to stop any criticism of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

There are American citizens who literally have been prepping for an invasion of the USA their whole lives, but some of them can't walk a block length without getting chest pains, so it evens out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,401 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Was at the local Paddy's day parade and there was a contingent of Ukrainians in the march. Have to say, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness as they walked by, chanting stop the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Gatling is living in a complete fantasy world in which Ukraine are comfortably winning this war and are about to chase the Russians all the way back to Moscow. I wish he was right. The reality is more like you describe, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I hope that this is blatant lies. Could the Russian population be actually that stupid to actually support the use of nuclear weapons? Do they realise that they would all be obliterated in the case of a full blown nuclear war?

Seriously worrying if this is truly representative of how the Russian population thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We can't help them militarily, but we can certainly keep them safe here and help them integrate and settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They are destroying the country but they have well and truly lost the war .

You can mouth off all you like , it's not the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeha I think it's called Doomscrolling when you cant stop watching or reading about it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Why do I get the feeling that if Israel did intervene in a European war, you'd be on this thread accusing them of interfering in a war that has nothing to do with them and trying to profit from arms sales?

I'm afraid to say you're taking nonsense. The way you casually suggest Israel should just destroy Russian forces LOL absolute madness. Israel is tiny and Russia can hit them easily from Syria or from within Russia.

Also it's a bit weird for Europe, who stood by watching and often cheering for the Arabs in every single war Israel was involved in, to be demanding Israel get involved. I'm literally astonished at your posts and the 200,000 tweets of this nature in the last 24 hours.

Israel has ZERO to do with this war and has already provided more to Ukraine than many European countries. Currently taken in 10 times as many refugees as the Biden admin in the USA, who seem to love immigrants from the southern border but not so much from Europe.👍️

• Advertisement

Turkey is a powerful nation, where's the scrutiny? Israel has unequivocally condemned the invasion, which is why the Russians called in the Israeli ambassador for a dressing down. Zelensky asked Israel to mediate between the two sides which is what they've been doing. Israel has thus far refrained from full sanctions on Russia as this gives them a better role in mediation. Israel's back channels discreet help will come to light 6 months after the war and will be buried in a sentence in page 36 of your newspaper 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Don't be fooled by polish government. It is all talk, nothing more. They are populists trying to gain points using this tragedy...

He also thinks Israel should "wipe out Russians forces" and that it would be easy for them. It's like bad takes being shot out one after the other. Ironically, like a Gatling of bad takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭omega man

The average Russian is in for a shock when it’s finally revealed what their leaders have done to their neighbour and the generational absolute hatred that’ll come toward them from Ukrainian people. It has become a war on people, not the Ukrainian military.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are leagues ahead of any other Govt in Europe in helping Ukraine and opposing the invasion.

You are using Kremlin bot language about populists and nationalists etc etc.

I'm not convinced that they will care too much. Once you're sold on the fact that the other side are Nazis who were plotting attacks against you possibly with bio lab stuff, you can justify just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It was a wounded family from Ukraine transported to the hospital in Krakow. It wasn't said they were picked up in Ukraine....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, the Russians are shelling fairly indiscriminately. One news report saw elderly civilians being bussed out of a town. There wasn't enough seats on the bus for all the people there were to take, so the reporting crew kindly offered use of their people carrier car to take some of the excess. In the car, one of the escaping men broke down crying. He said, 'This is a war on people, not soldiers.'

At best, it's a complete lack of tactical nous on the part of the Russians to just indiscriminately shell and bomb for weeks and weeks. They seem to show no efficiency in battle at all. At worst, it's cruel, calculating and utterly vindictive. Maybe Putin has taken Ukraine's turning westward and refusal to roll over for Russian forces as the ultimate affront - a breach of some sacred Slavic brotherhood that Putin has concocted in his own mind, and for which Ukraine must now pay a heavy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Nice infographic on active tanks in Russia. If these figures are accurate, we have around 10% confirmed destroyed (I know there are many thousands of reserve tanks, but don't know what state these are in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Vast majority of English haven't a clue about Ireland or the north's recent history re their leaders etc.

You give humanity to much credit. Throw in the school curriculum (propaganda) Russian citizens are taught and its unlikely they'll ever come round to your way of thinking.

Can't really blame them either. The game is stacked against them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement