Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

First thing is would have done was to take out Kaliningrad if i was NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is worse still from the point of view of the home front.

The Soviet Union could more easily put a lid on things in the 1980s and especially so about a far off place called Afganistan.

In the Russia of the 2020s, even with Putin's iron grip it is much harder with the multitude of communication platforms/media and this concerns a country right next door often with close ties between the populations.

The Ukrainians don't have the advantages of terrain and environment that the Afghans had, but they do have advantage of trained and seemingly well organised military defense. Added to that it took much longer for the West to step up and start arming the mujahideen whereas here the supplies are almost instantaneous.

Also it looks like the Russian military hasn't progressed much from the days of the Red Army, if anything it looks like they have regressed.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Im going to have to disagree with that. Afghanistan, for all the numerous attempts at unification and nation building, is still very much a tribal society, where loyalty to any institution beyond your own clan is more often than not just a marriage of convenience.

Ukraine on the other hand has a very well established national identity, which is part of the reason Russia invaded in the first place. I doubt that this will fracture to any considerable degree unless the country reverts to Mad Max style anarchy.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

**** hell Gatling. Really?

Did anyone say "let's be concerned about russian children INSTEAD of Ukrainian children"?

Weak, pathetic and disgusting argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But but but I need to hear the Kremlins side of the story on this?

Oh, she blew herself up with a missile.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭brickster69

Greenpeace has a Russian Tanker Trucker up and running now.

https://twitter.com/RUTankerTracker

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Is this the latest? Poor little set upon China? The West (and most particularly the US) enriched China, sponsored the country's entry into the WTO, handed over the world's supply chains, transferred billions worth of technological know-how - brought it into the center of the international order.

I'd advise you to start doing some reading on the institutional Chinese state's long-held attitudes towards the West and Western institutions before you go sounding off about who is hostile to who. It may not technically be a Marxist-Leninist economy any more, but the country is run by a Marxist-Leninist party, with all that it entails.

Lord above you'll swallow any old palaver from a despot.

• Advertisement

The Soviet "intervention" in Afghanistan ranged over 9-10 years. We're only 1 month into the Russian attack on Ukraine and see how Mariupol has been devastated, people trying to survive in dark cold cellars without electricity, water, food or any of the basic services we take for granted. The Afghans are not some different species to the Ukrainians. Do you think any normal society can function after 10 years of this?

Its a point I think people miss when they dream of a new Afghanistan for Russia. It will be a grim fate for the Ukrainians too.

As for a well established national identity - the whole "crisis" is best understood as an ethnic civil war.

They do have their own homemade version called Neptune,but not sure how many they have

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What a load of horseshyte.

Ukraine would have regress hundreds of years to become Afghanistan.

And do you suddenly expect them to all become staunch devout muslims and break into tribes overnight ?

Sure they might as well go the whole hog and start growing poppies.

Post edited by jmayo on

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unsurprisingly the head of Russia's Central Bank, knowing the sh!tstorm to come, wanted to resign.

Putin said no.

Poor woman.

Russia’s highly regarded central bank Governor Elvira Nabiullina sought to resign after Vladimir Putin ordered an invasion of Ukraine, only to be told by the president to stay, according to four people with knowledge of the discussions.

Nominated for a new five-year term last week, Nabiullina’s current views couldn’t be learned. She is left to manage the fallout from a war that’s quickly undone much of what’s she’s accomplished in the nine years since she took office. The people said departure now would be seen as a betrayal by the president, with whom she has worked closely for nearly two decades. 

Nabiullina, 58, hasn’t commented publicly on her reappointment and didn’t respond to a query for this article. Spokespeople for the central bank and the Kremlin didn’t reply to requests for comment. Only one senior official has quit over the war: longtime economic reformer Anatoly Chubais stepped down as Putin’s climate envoy this week and left the country, according to people familiar with the situation.

Nabiullina, favored by investors and hailed by publications including Euromoney and The Banker as one of the world’s best monetary policymakers, now faces a wartime economy isolated by international sanctions and starved for investment as foreign companies leave. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I would prefer that their propaganda was widely available so we could see it for exactly what it is.

Not as counter balance.

You did frame that as if I would "prefer" to watch russian media than I would traditional western media. Not sure if it was intentional but I would hazard a guess that it was.

I'm not concerned about them getting their story across, I am concerned that we don't see how they are getting their story across unless it is shown to us via Western media.

I get that you want to make it out as if I am banging the Kremlin drum, but no matter how much you and others want to frame it, I have said nothing of the sort.

I'm not fretting, I'm giving my opinion and discussing an extremely important situation.

There's no need to be a dick and frame it as anything other than that just because we disagree on other topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did we miss all your earlier posts of concern about Ukranian children.

The post that you took issue with was about Russian children maybe not having access to baby formula.

Any concern for Ukranian children had to be dragged out of you by other posters.

While half the children in Ukraine are displaced, some of been taken hospital, some are under siege deprived of food and medicine and over a hundred are dead.

But yeah you have to challenge the Western narrative as not entirely accurate. Meanwhile Russia invents new lies every day you never challenge.

Your both sidesism is wearing very thin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hundreds of years? How far as Mariupol regressed in one month?

• Advertisement

The only LOL is you resurfacing on the thread after thoroughly embarrassing yourself saying that Russia would not invade Ukraine and it was all Western hot air.

I'd have deleted my profile, disappeared into the forest never to return to boards if I got something so badly wrong and was so obnoxious in the course of doing so.

You called that wrong so badly wrong, where's your credibility in sounding off about China?

How can you even compare Taliban/Mujahedeen to Ukranian army?

Not to mention Afghanistan is a country with mountains,where Ukraine is flat nearly with large cities.

And insurgency with Insurgents hiding in Caves and riding on horseback,doing suicide bombings is not what is happening in Ukraine,its missiles and artillery shelling large cities,and Ukrainian army fighting back with atgms,rpgs and artllery and drones.

Learn the difference between insurgency and conventional warfare

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Something that's actually real would be unnoticeable in the fetid swamp of negative bilge and invented grievences the Russian leadership concocts about the west and feeds relentlessly to the people of Russia, so personally I wouldn't be going getting too concerned about it.

You keep bringing up Easter eggs as if I mentioned that.

For the last time, I said I would not criticise a company for supplying baby formula to Russian people.

That was it. Nothing about Easter eggs. Nothing at all.

Everything else you have levelled at me, which has incredibly been repeated as my opinion by numerous others who think like you, is your overactive imagination and projection.

If you refuse to (or can't) discuss this topic without arguing in bad faith, then perhaps a discussion board isn't for you.

You think it wouldn't come back to haunt you that you were one of the obnoxious ringleaders of Putinites that was abusing people left right and center and were stating Russia would never invade Ukraine?

I warned you at the time you wouldn't be able to live it down if the invasion went ahead (which I assessed as highly likely), and a month later, it's worth reminding you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I'm starting to think, that such massive thing can be a CIA job, as well as deaths of so many generals...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Remember the ones at the start of this thread that were convinced the invasion was a hoax and all US propaganda and wouldnt hear anything else lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm not concerned about them getting their story across, I am concerned that we don't see how they are getting their story across unless it is shown to us via Western media.

Huh?

Why would anyone be concerned by that?

The vast amount of interviews from the Kremlin spokespeople are shown unedited on "western media".

So again how are they not getting their "story" out?

If you could answer without calling me names I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I'm not making the comparison. Those who claim/hope Ukraine will be Russia's Afghanistan are making that claim. I'm just pointing out to those who are making the comparison that Ukraine beings Russia's Afghanistan is a very bad outcome for Ukraine also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement