Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If he just came out and said that you could at least say fair play for nailing his colours to a mast but the whole charade his is playing is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

He may be kidnapping these people to use as bargaining chips in the peace talks.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The pro-Kremlin press are openly describing the Ukrainians as "neo-Nazis" in nearly every article. This wouldn't be at the hysterical end of the spectrum, it's pretty much the norm. The way they talk about Ukraine is quite shocking - an illegitimate bandit state full of fascists, drug users, terrorists, scoundrels, including its President. The way they are spinning it, they have gone in to put manners on these terrorist 'thugs' and to disarm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Biden is asked if Ukraine should agree to lose part of its territory in exchange for peace. - This is something that Ukraine will judge. Nothing about Ukraine without Ukraine. I don't think they have to do something like that, but it is their decision, says the US President.

G7 members said they would do anything to hold Russian President Vladimir Putin and his associates personally responsible for the invasion of Ukraine. In a statement released after the meeting in Brussels, we read: "We will spare no efforts to hold President Putin and the authors and supporters of this aggression, including the Alyaksandr Lukashenka regime in Belarus, responsible for their actions. We will do so together with our allies and partners from all over the world ".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don't know why so many people seem to be giving him a hard time.

He's just interested to know what exactly is being said to the Russian people; which is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to know. Especially if you're aware what you're viewing is likely to contain propaganda you're not likely to be convinced by it in any case.

I think it's also reasonable to question why media outlets are being banned outright in what is supposedly a free and democratic society; I mean it is precisely what Russia does and is actively doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

"No one should have any doubts: Russia is here forever."

Not if the sanctions remain 'forever'.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The commanders of the two landing ships damaged by Ukrainian forces in Berdyansk are traitors to Ukraine, who in 2014 sided with the enemy, according to the Ukrainian Pravda, citing the Navy.

"This is what happens when you hire traitors. They are weak, in 2014 they did not resist and took 30 silver coins, and today, thanks to their 'professionalism', two more BDKs have lost their fighting ability. We address these two traitors: you have the only chance to clear conscience, it is better to sink your ships yourself, we will even give you a reward for it "- wrote the Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭moby2101

This beast just took off from Shannon, huge noise over Limerick City

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Its still freely available on twitter unfortunately.

Just follow Lavrov or the Kremlin politburo for the very latest misinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Probably just the smaller Antonov that was parked up there today...... Wonderful machine

This baby formula thing seems to have gotten a lot of traction.

A simple statement of opinion that I wouldn't criticise a company for supplying baby food to Russians seems to be a main sticking point for people who don't agree with me.

It's almost as if people shouting that I was outraged and was claiming that russian children were starving or deserved Easter eggs was even remotely akin to something I actually said.

And yes, western media is unreliable. Is it more unreliable than russian media? Not even close.

Rinse and repeat lads. I said nothing even remotely along the lines that a few of you keep parroting is my opinion.

Fuck sake lads, for people who are against propaganda, you certainly engage in it when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Donald Trump has his own thread. Maybe it’s time to give “Russia losing one brand of baby formula” it’s own thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You can get Russian propaganda translated into English and laundered by folks like jack posobiecs, joe rogan, mick wallace, tucker carlson, jill stein, glen greenwald, tulsi gabbard, steve bannon and various other cranks on the daft ends of the ideological horseshoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another large part of their narrative is Ukrainians are using their own people as human shields and that's how civilians are needlessly dying. The all too usual spiel of "their side are guilty of war crimes, our side aren't and if non combatants are killed it's an unfortunate side effect of war". Oh and the Ukrainian "nazis" are not letting people leave and if they do let them leave they're forced to go West, not towards Russia, or they'll be shot.

Actually TBH that very last part I'd not be too surprised to hear has some truth to it. For bloody good military tactical reasons too. The Ukrainians have dealt with a fair number of Russian, or those sympathetic to Russia, "undercover" sabateurs throughout this invasion. If I were manning a Ukrainian checkpoint and some of those fleeing wanted to go towards Russian lines and Russia, the very army and nation that has invaded my Ukraine and killed my fellow Ukrainians? Ehhh I'd be asking questions and with extreme bloody prejudice too. I would not be saying "ah sure, off you go and report our numbers and movements to our enemy".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This should piss the Russians off .

Welcome to America 🤣🤣🚀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the language of the woke left, Russia has sponsored a lot of it over the years.

It's about getting buy in with the young up and coming, more importantly their often powerful parents. Putin aims to have sympathisers and supporters across the world like the Soviet Union did.

It's all about returning to the power of the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Western media is only as reliable as the outlet you choose to consume your news from. If you (not you directly) restrict yourself to a diet of Fox News or whatever it's your own fault you're misinformed.

There's the best of information out there on any subject you want to find, including this war. Nobody is putting journalists in body bags or in prison for doing their job.

There is no equivalenncy in the state of play on freedom of expression or the right to have information unfavourable to the government disseminated between the West and Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ukraine seems like it would be a fun holiday destination for US servicemen. They could rent tanks from Poland for even more craic or just joyride on abandoned Russian ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont know what your opinions are. I am basing it on your posts here. Eager to query and challenge western narrative and actions. Condemnation of russia and support for Ukraine only offered when demanded by other posters.

Rinse and repeat indeed. Whats the bets the next sub thread you start wont be laying into Russia but expressing some concern about Western media or Ukranian actions.

Not a word condemning the propaganda and lies on Russian media. Its important we hear them out and important to point out that western media is unreliable.

If western media is so unreliable and the media of both sides should be listened to boom there you go undermining and casting doubt on anything we know of the war including russian war crimes.

Western media taken as a whole are a reliable guide to what is going on. Not 100 percent accurate or infallible but if you are not going to rely on them then what exactly are you relying on to understand why Russias actions need to be condemned.

So what I see are muddying the waters and relativism agenda in play.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you're explaining you're losing.

I have EXPLICITLY said, TODAY, that Russian media shouldn't be trusted and although Western media isn't reliable, the Russian media is absolutely worse.

But of course, that means I haven't said a word against Russian media and I just want to muddy water and promote Russian propaganda.

And yes, I am eager to query and challenge western actions. It's a healthy position to take I would have thought.

They are banned in many countries because those countries have broadcasting standards that news channels must adhere to as a licence condition. Not just Russian channels those rules apply to all. So if there are complaints about them... and they dont meet those standards they would need exemption from those rules to stay on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Curious, what's your understanding of the word Woke?

I think its pretty clear that is your real agenda here, challenging western actions rather than any real concern about Ukraine or real desire for the truth.

A poster who gets more worked up about russias access to baby food than the atrocities inflicted on Ukranian children.

Then gets defensive and puts on the poor poor pitiful me show when other posters have to prompt you to concede that Russian media shouldnt be trusted and that of course what they are doing in Ukraine is terrible.

So no, not a healthy attitude.

True colours coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's healthy up until a point. "Eagerness" to challenge Western viewpoints would suggest you may (and I'm not saying this is true) be starting from a point of incredulousness because you believe all media has some sort of hidden agenda besides reporting the news.

With some outlets, agendas are obvious (Fox, GB News) and are front and centre. If you're consuming those outlets more fool to you thinking you're coming away knowing more than you did before.

However, most of the time, the news is just the news. Journalists and producers doing the best they can trying to get at something that resembles the objective truth. You can filter and point out things that don't pass the smell test as you go.

But putting "Western Media" in the dock or even setting it alongside Russian media (for instance) is a ridiculous and somewhat intellectually suspicious pursuit.

As I said before, there's a panopoly of unvarnished information about this war, sometimes from incredibly informed experts, some that have lived in the heart of the Russian system and can tell you what they saw.

They'd be on a kill list in Russia if they were there, and they're only free to speak in the manner they do because speech is protected.

Nestle, please, stop selling baby formula to Russia, because this discussion will never end here...

• Advertisement

I'm not putting western media in the dock. But I agree with most of what you said.

It seems on this thread, anything that is said that even slightly skews from the majority view is treated with extreme prejudice and certain posters (I'm not referring to you) seem to insist on disussing in bad faith and attribute motives which have been explicitly denied or never even hinted at.

I have made my optinions clear and it's derailing a very important topic so I will leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement