Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not directly. I'd say it will be more like a North Vietnam situation. Funnelling weapons and supplies to resistance groups through 3rd countries which Russia will not risk bombing of going after.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

East of the Dneiper is half ethnic Russian or Russian culture.

West is not, they would be mad to stay cross the Dneiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I'd imagine if they do go that far the aim is to topple the government or force them into a new constitution that gives the pro russian groups a veto over foreign policy. I feel sorry for the Ukrainians stuck in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Meanwhile, some 7,500km (4,660 miles) away on Russia's eastern side, the Russian defence ministry says it spotted a US Navy submarine inside its territorial waters. Officials say the US submarine was near the Kuril Islands and failed to surface when instructed.

The Marshal Shaposhnikov destroyer took unspecified "appropriate" actions and the US submarine left the area, the ministry said. A US defence official has been summoned by Moscow over the incident. The Pentagon has not commented on the Russian report of the incident.

The above is included in an article that can be read on the BBC News website, posted 2 hours ago.

What is a US submarine doing so close to China, Japan and Russia? It has to be "listening".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Japan and the US are Allies ,

Do people honestly not know the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I'm quite aware of that.

Careful you don't cut your own throat with the sharpness of your sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nobody watching Iran in all of this.

They are pissed off with the pressure from America.

This could escalate rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

What's not true? Something you saw it on a video? A video that might or not be true? Could it have been staged? Lots of videos out there... how many are True?. Or should I believe my own experience? Which is actually 100% true. The scenario I speak about was not on a video, it was much closer that that. Live in fact, and it was not a one off either. It was not uncommon to come across a group of young conscripts in the woods or ditches, huddled together for warmth and comfort and scared shitless. Only kids. As for your video of 5 conscripts' being beheaded, one by one. Yes. That may have happened too,,,, Radical Islam has been in existence since the time of Mohammad, and in Chechnya there were Wahhabi inspired radical islamists too, ( they actually tried to set up an Islamic State there) so no surprise there were atrocities, but that's not to say that every Mullah was a Wahhabi, they were not far from it. ( they actually fought the Wahhabis) So what exactly did you see on your video? Wahabbi Inspired terrorism? Or do you believe my version???

• Advertisement

I believe he's referencing the Dagestan Massacre video , which I previously mentioned on here , but i wouldn't describe what happens ,

But I believe the title Dagestan has something to do with it not necessarily Chechnya ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This is Wag the Dog

The leaders in the West are all currently in trouble.

Bidens poll numbers are in the tank and the November elections are coming and there is wild inflation and shortages.

Trudeau in Canada had his Ceaușescu moment, completely out of touch with reality and backed himself into a corner.

Johnson in the UK is starring in a Carry On at no 10 comedy film.

Macron has insulted the working class with an election coming up.

These guys are on their knees praying for war and hoping they can goad Putin into making a mistake.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Probably he is, but I was speaking about Russian Conscripts in Chechnya, and how they were treated ( conscripts, not contracted soldiers) and he commented about a video he had seen. I remember Dagestan very well and the convoy with Khattab and Basayev. Before Dagestan, they were active in the Urus-Marten region in Chechnya.

Remind us who has surrounded ukraine ...

Not America ,not Canada and not the uK

So........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And id say you actually believe it all.

That's what's more serious here in your post.. The hole you've fallen down into that you may never find you way out of.

I agree with you on that ,

The idea that the Chechens were running around hacking heads off left right and center isn't true , most were not sumerily executed either,a small number of extremist got involved ,

But for most part it was uncommon ,

There's a video on YouTube showing a discussion between one Chechen commander and his Russian opposite ,the Chechens pleaded with the Russian armoured column to stop and turn around , but they were under orders and had to keep going ,

Nearly all of the Russians were killed in the armoured column that day ,it's a quite raw piece while it's not graphically violent it shows a human side to an upcoming fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

How Ukraine is run is the Ukrainian citizens problem. Our issues are with our leadership and their lack of it.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Maybe email Putin via the Kremlin and tell him then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. This political postoring is just a diversion from their own messed up domestic situations.

Yes, its a strange thing about war.. despite all the savagery and destruction, some nuggets of humanity shine through always. I've witnessed it several times myself,, at handovers in no -mans-land, both sides shaking hands, sharing a coffee and cigarette,,,war forgotten, and discussions on what it was like before "this **** war".

But then the monster rears its ugly head again. I already mentioned it here earlier, about a Russian armored convoy , climbing up a road hewn out of the side of a high hill, with the other side, a sheer drop down into a river.... the Chechens on the other bank waited until the last tank had started uphill, then blew it up, next came the foremost vehicle, once that was stopped, it was a massacre,,still active vehicles pushing the damaged ones in front into the river, to try and escape. This could have very well have been the convoy you mentioned. But if not, it was a pretty common happening. I'd say to this day, if you walked that section of road with a metal detector, it would be jumping out of your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well, you have answered your own question, haven't you? You view Russia as "a burning dumpster fire" and as dangerous to its neighbours. Why cant Putin share your view that western democracies are "a burning dumpster fire" and dangerous to Russia? A monkey with a hand grenade still has a hand grenade.

I'm not going to defend Russia as a shining city on a hill (that is an American delusion) and posters on this thread only betray their own bias when they claim that any reality check on their bullshit could only be motivated by rubles or misplaced worship of Putin as some sort of anti-hero (personally I find his press conferences to be rambling, and the hero worship very odd). The Russian regime is hugely "problematic" but it is not a global threat and it is predictable. If you poke a mean dog with a stick, whose fault is it that you get bitten? I think this is where all the posters who revel in mocking Russia as some sort of third world "burning dumpster fire" reveal their stupidity. Russia has enough nukes to end human life on earth and they perceive NATO - rightly or wrongly - as an existential threat to Russia and/or the regime. Any army which could conventionally defeat Russia is going to get nuked. NATO has never fought a nuclear power. NATO's most recent experience has been fighting farmers with AK-47s on donkeys. And they lost. **** around and find out as the saying goes.

Why is Putin/Russia worried about NATO? Since Putin took power, NATO members have attacked, "intervened in", or otherwise violated the sovereignty of Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Pakistan, Somalia, Libya and Syria. Putin will also recall NATO member interventions in Sudan, Kosovo, Haiti, Bosnia, Somalia (again), Iraq (again) and Panama. There has also been various sabre rattling at Iran, and (from Putin's perspective) a deeply worrying pattern of "colour" revolutions throughout the middle east and the post-soviet world with signage in CIA English - the most recent of which was the the Hong Kong rioting. I'm not even counting the near laughable attempt by the US to declare some random nobody the president of Venezuela and the exaltation of Navalny - a former neo-nazi who approved of the annexation of Ukraine and who never earned more than 2% of the Russian electorate. Yes, Russia has "intervened" in Georgia and Ukraine over the past 22 years, but the hysteria that Russia is a threat to all of Europe is contemptible. And its particularly contemptible coming from a bellicose military alliance which has and continues to retain the self declared right to attack other countries.

Yeah these guys all want a war and death of god knows how many to keep them in their job? Cop on ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So sand your ramble comes down to Russia has nukes.....

But as you well know Russia aren't the only one with nukes ,

Nato didn't get beaten in Afghanistan by goat herders with Aks, American withdrew ,it was the afghan military who collapsed despite the best efforts of nato to train and equip them to the tune of billions ,

But they Also spent 20 years In Afghanistan and Iraq and fought combat several times a day for those 20 years and only lost a relatively small number,

Compare that to the losses in Russias last 3 it's pales in comparison in lost men , equipment and morale

It really is Sudetenland all over again ...

Don't mind me I only want this part to protect Russian speakers ,I won't invade anywhere else honestly I'm a peaceful man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The 14,000 Ukrainians they got to play dead in the prequel series ongoing since 2014 was impressive. I don't suppose you've caught that yet?

Cop on, Mrs Malaprop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I hear Liz Truss made a fool of herself - and the UK - in recent talks with Lavrov. Apparently, as Truss was criticising Russian troops being based in Russia Lavrov rhetorically asked if she understood that cities like Voronezh and Rostov were Russian territory where Russia could deploy its own army. Truss snapped that the UK would never recognise those regions as being Russian territory.

It was left to others on the UK negotiation team to awkwardly jump in and assure Lavrov that they understood Voronezh and Rostov is Russian territory and that was not in dispute.

Lavrov himself has said post-negotiation that it was like a discussion between the mute and deaf. He also noted that Russia has not threated Ukraine - and indeed continues to deny any intent to attack Ukraine - but it is Russia that is threated by NATO. He also noted that Ukraine has suffered greatly from the supposed threat of invasion.

Apparently the US is claiming that Russia will attack Ukraine on 16th February. Let's all hold our breath - I genuinely mean that, a Russian attack on Ukraine is highly unlikely but it would also be disastrous for all concerned. Including Russia and Ukraine, which is often forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if they are going to do it, they'll do it in the dead of night - Tiananmen Square style, mark my words

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Thanks for this as I don't get the RT newsletter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement