Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

156 Million in156 MillionQuote :- Their population in 1989 was nearly 300 million and they were actually bigger than the USA by about 40 million. Un-Quote. Russian population in 2020 was 144.1 million....thats a drop of 156 Million in a little over 33 years. Could that be true?? They have a serious population nrs decline, but as much as the above figures? Is that possible?. In Putins Russia conditions are so bad that for every 1'000 Babies born, 500 are aborted. If so, it would explain why he is looking for troops everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Don't forget the USSR included Ukraine, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Kazakhstan etc etc. Not just Russia Federation of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He is still in the hapenny place to Lenin, Trotsky and other Russian Communist leaders when it comes to murder or oppression. Even now Russia is a much more open society than under the last more open days of Communism. He certainly draws deeply from that formative well, which he spent the first 40 years of life in.

That's not to say he is good but a reflection on the incredible psychopathy and murderous nature of the others.

What is fascism but a tweaking of communism and in practical terms as a lived experience there is no difference in the degradation of Human Life and dignity.

There adherents have the same psychological drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, the Soviet Union included all the Soviet republics such as Ukraine, the Baltic states, Moldova, Georgia, Kazakhstan etc but these were all lost to them after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

She ran eventually. I think it was in a Ford Fiesta though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

That 300M population was of all of the ussr, which is 144m of current russia + 44m of Ukraine, 40m of Poland, add baltics, east germany and other countries and you get 300m

Edit: east germany and poland were not part of ussr, but they were part of soviet allied countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

The 1989 population was for the USSR, the population now refers only to the Russian Federation, i.e. USSR minus Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltics and the various central Asian Stans. Thats a huge minus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I see Joe had to clarify he's not looking for regime change in Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks Mike, and the others who pointed our the reason for the massive drop in figures. I should have copped the dates.....But even so, and even with world declining population figures generally, Russia has a serious declining population problem. Its what happens when a handful of people suck the financial life out if a Country. A bit like years ago in America when the Mafia closed down several docks they were siphoning so much money out if them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I assume that clarification came with a wink.

"No, of course we're not calling for regime change, don't be silly. It would be nice though."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the Russians are indeed looking to reprioritise and concentrate forces in the Donbas, then what is their short to medium-term strategy? What's their plan to quell resistance in occupied towns? If Russia plans to deport troublesome citizens out of that area to an unknown fate, any small appetite the Ukrainian government might have had to cede that territory must evaporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Nothing changes. Joe was doing well, marshalling the troops etc. The he goes, again, and puts his foot in his mouth . Since then state department officials 'explaining ' poor Joe. Now, that he's flown back home watch the invasion drop further down the US priority list. Meanwhile we in Europe are left to pick up the piece and the cost. Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I'm not even going to try 😉

I'm only now getting the Irish meaning of that term 😂😂

For what it's worth, the term translates to "tank" or "armour" cracker in German, with the word Panzer applying to both a tank and any type of armour plating. The K in "Knacker" isn"t silent in German, by the way. Incidentally, Panzerknacker is also the name for the "Beagle Boys" in the Donald Duck comics.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@Glenomra - Nothing changes. Joe was doing well, marshalling the troops etc. The he goes, again, and puts his foot in his mouth . Since then state department officials 'explaining ' poor Joe. Now, that he's flown back home watch the invasion drop further down the US priority list. Meanwhile we in Europe are left to pick up the piece and the cost. Nothing changes.

Sad post.

I'd look a bit closer to home if you really want to know who is putting their foot in their mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Yeah, if you call a leader of a certain country a butcher and a war criminal it means, he is not going to shake hands with him for sure in the future.

Such clarification is only for diplomatic reasons. Probably otherwise it could be viewed as a prodding to an unlawful action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Communism is a political ideology, fascism is not. One is far left, the other far right. Fascism has clear focus on religion, weakening worker rights, strengthening corporations power among other things.

Putin is an autocrat but certainly not a communist based on his actions past 20 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

To be fair that's exactly what the Russian military should be hitting. If they had of been doing that properly since day 1 then the war might be going their way right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Who was saying that Biden was playing Putin like a fiddle? Posters here or the voices in your head?

In any case, it wasn't the best thing to say but it wasn't the worst either. Still, as Donie pointed out, it is a bit reminiscent of the last President and how his utterances were constantly being "clarified" by his staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Biden says putin is a war criminal and shouldn’t be in power… he is not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

That would really help fighting russian propaganda and getting russians stand against Poo-tin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Fair play to Biden, he's right Putin should be removed from power. There's been too much kowtowing to Poundshop Adolf in the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

An American president is obviously never going to say what I just suggested, although I do think that if it happened to Putin, it would not be undeserved at this point. And the Russians are going to make up mad propaganda, whatever Biden says, so it's much of a muchness, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Ukraine has a very beautiful anthem. I am under its spell

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

It's irrelevant just because you said so? So there is not even a remote possibility of other extremists apart jihadis? And if these extremists are fighting for one side it's OK but if other extremists are joining the other side you would loose the soundness of your sleep?

Just to make sure - I do not condone the war. I do not condone any type of oppression. I would never put any race or country or individual above the other but I would do anything to defend my family. I have asked a simple question on a forum erroneously assuming possibility of discussion but instead all this forum is capable of is a kindergarten bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

It's irrelevant just because you said so? So there is not even a remote possibility of other extremists apart jihadis? And if these extremists are fighting for one side it's OK but if other extremists are joining the other side you would loose the soundness of your sleep?

Just to make sure - I do not condone the war. I do not condone any type of oppression. I would never put any race or country or individual above the other but I would do anything to defend my family. I have asked a simple question on a forum erroneously assuming possibility of discussion but instead all this forum is capable of is a kindergarten bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

I can't see the issue with the statement. As long as Putin is in power he is a threat to neighbouring countries and has threatened a load of them already.

Economic sanctions and political pressure may need to stay to isolate this administration as long as it is in power or more wars will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I think it's what everyone is thinking, but by saying it out loud it provides Putin with 'evidence' that the west does want to overthrow the Russian government. That is why they are scrambling to withdraw the remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

denazification comes out of the barrell of a TOS-1A long range flame thrower now

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Poundshop Adolf in the Kremlin

Had a longing for the girl who lived next door

Though ugly, bad and stupid

He thought himself a cupid

But got not a single thing he bargained for

Thank you Gandalf : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Doing something questionable in aid of a good cause is surely different to doing something questionable in aid of a bad cause

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement