Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Afghanistan suffered a horrific famine in 1998. Under Taliban rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

So then why are Russian troops massing on the border, if this is just an elaborate scheme by the west? Surely with Russia being such a great power they wouldn't be tricked by mere westerners?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes Sierra, it did , and suffered an earthquake too the same year in Rostaq, just over the border from Tajikistan. 4'000 people dead, and massive destruction of villages. But as far as the Taliban were concerned it was Ins'h Allah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Russia looking for some breakthrough in negotiations with the west. Russia never had the intention to invade, You have to appear to look serious plus it places Ukraine in the position that joining Nato is out of the question. If you want to stay in power Kiev government keep the status quo. There is no real emergency to send troops in. It sort of blockade thats all it is. But the west is paranoid. Putin bluff and he knows invasion of Ukraine will be costly and not be good chapter in Russian history. Putin often said he feels Ukrainian people are blood brothers. Its government he cares little for and its neo nazi faction armies, but the people he have hard time ordering an attack against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

🤣🤣🤣🤣🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I'm guessing by your post that you worked in Kabul which would be very different to most of Afghanistan. The United States never understood Afghanistan. American planners thought they knew what the country needed, which was not quite the same as what its people wanted. American policy was guided by fantasies; chief among them was the idea that the Taliban could be eliminated and that an entire culture could be transformed in the process.

These are very old techniques, the British empire used to invade countries claiming they were bringing humanity and civilising these inhumane societies, the USA did the right thing leaving Afghanistan despite what many people say. Let the Afghans decide their own destiny.

On your point about Chechenya, Chechenya has as much right to leave Russia as Crimea has to leave Ukraine, the fact that the majority of people in those places wish to do so is apparently not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

100% nothing will happen. Ukraine won't be joining NATO either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your hardly an expert on the matter ,the other one is just as bad

I think it may interest you to take a look at different media outlets apart from the usual Western sources. You should read some Ukrainian coverage and how they are portraying the situation which is very different to how the Americans and British are trying to portray it.

The US and UK have been constantly accused by Ukraine of exaggerating the risk of a Russian attack, something they have categorically denied. The Ukrainian president has told them to stop creating panic over the situation, the Ukrainian government doesn’t really buy the claims of the USA that an invasion is coming soonbor that Russia is planning a false flag attack against it's own people as a pretext for the invasion, the Ukrainian governments very consolidated message is that a Russian invasion or the occupying of major cities are very, very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Hello Vladimir. Nice of you to join us, but shouldn't you be focused on the negotiations rather than posting on boards...?

• Advertisement

Well since Putin did a false flag allready against its own people in the apartment bombings in 1999 to have an excuse to invade Chechnya

And since excersise caucasus 2008 was used as cover to invade Georgia,maybe they find it unlikely.

And offcourse Ukraines president is trying to avoid being invaded and the west would threathen Russia for doing so.

You forget one crucial detail,US wasnt alone,it was a coalition of many countries in Afghanistan.

Chechnya tried allready twice to become independent and ended in two wars and two invasions

So we have a couple of other posters on here with the same Mulder profile pic as Yurt? Me thinks Maskirovka is afoot on this forum. Either that or some not so bright individuals are drinking the Kremlin Kool Aid. The misdirection and disinformation has warped their easily corruptible minds.

On topic though, whether US intelligence is correct over the invasion or not, its a clever move by the yanks. Even if its not true they've called Russias bluff. If they invade very soon and especially with a false flag incident, they've already been called out and exposed on it in advance. It may act as a deterrent, or so the US hopes. But then again do the Russians really care what people think once they've invaded? Probably not.

The apartment bombings being orchestrated by Russia is a conspiracy theory, you probably believe it easily because you want it to be true the same way many people believe conspiracy theories about the USA because they want them to be true.

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying all it is at the moment is a conspiracy theory.

Youre still going on about that. 😂🤣 Why are the Ukrainian's running live military practice drills in the streets of Ukraine in preparation of an invasion today?. Their president is not denying it may happen. He wants calm and composure though. The Russians want to sow chaos and confusion in Ukraine that is their tactics. It will be even easier for them to do their job and if they cause enough hysteria in Ukraine they may even ideally be able to replace the govt there without needing much of an invasion.

Zelensky has to keep morale high, he needs to keep control and avoid chaos for the sake of their society, economy and maintaining his govt's authority. He is doing an excellent job though and fair play to him and the Ukranians.

They are taking precautions for a future conflict that might break out but as Ukraine has openly said an invasion is very very unlikely, that does not mean it's impossible.

I really do find it funny though whenever the Ukrainian president makes a clear statement the American and British media are telling us "what he really meant" by that statement and throwing their own spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's scary how much we rely on Russia for energy supplies. A war is something that no one wants. Yet if Russia attack Ukraine, i just don't see standing by and doing nothing, as a viable option tbh. NATO and the US will have to respond in kind. If airstrikes are launched on Ukraine, then such a thing cannot go unanswered imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It is scary isn't it how much we rely on Russia. Maybe it's giving people pause for thought regarding the Green proposed rubbish shoved down our throats preventing us from scouting and extracting our own potential gas or oil resources.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is the cost/benefit to NATO worth getting into a shooting war with Russia over Ukraine? I suspect 'no', and I strongly suspect the opinions of the NATO governments is also 'no'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ireland doesn't depend on supplies from Russia. We are supplied by the corrib gas line, Norway and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭MFPM

You do a fine line in deflection yourself! We've been down this road before you and I, and you persist with this defence of hypocrites and mass murderers in the west and take a different approach here.

I repeat, the US ably supported through finance and political cover bombings in Yemen less that 48 hours ago, while claiming to defend democracy and human rights...you might be all fine and dandy supporting that I'm not.

Lastly, do I care about Ukranians, not the far right fascists supported by Washington who are organising many of the protests the Western media are lauding but ordinary Ukranians who are caught in this inter imperial charade.

I must be mis remembering my own posts, fairly sure I've mentioned some of Yemen, Palestine, Chile, Venezuela, Cuba, Iran...all recent, many current all have the US intervening directly or by proxy...but nothing to see here according to you.

'I admit. I have not seen The Intelligence. But there's never been a time when my understanding of Russia -- my 15 years of reporting on Russia and Ukraine -- has been so at odds with what the U.S. government says about Russia and Ukraine. I hope I'm right, and they're wrong'

Interesting this Via Simon Shuster on Twitter and he works for Time, hardly a pro Putin or anti Washington publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Russia by proxy too in the majority... China by proxy in 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We should be moving towards nuclear as the base support for the transition to a fully renewable infrastructure along with building mass battery storage as the endgame solution, that is the only way to remove reliance on foreign resources for energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

We get it your pro Russian and your goal here is whataboutery and spreading misinformation and mudding the waters your fooling no one tho.

No one cares who america invaded nor is there any correlation between those invasions and what Russia is doing.

So yes Russia is factually undisputedly the bad guy in the current scenario and this isn't even up for debate, you can't invade a nation that hasn't attacked you or expressed any interest in attacking you and call it self defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

If your so bent out of shape about the killing of people and human rights infringements why are you pro Russian 🤣 lmao

Slight conflict of interest there don't you think? I also find it laughable how you try in some form of mental gymnastics use America's invasions of other countries as justification for Russia invading who ever they like.

I got a right laugh out of your virtuous post about human rights infringements and all the while bashing america and being pro Russian.

Top banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wouldn’t it be great if we weren’t at the mercy of other countries for such basics of energy and food.

Cull the herd.

• Advertisement

Conspiracy theory with so many links pointing to kremlin,arrsted and dead people thats is almost like someone is trying to cover it up you mean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement