Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

No end to sanctions until they do the right thing and get rid of Putin and his cronies. Russians need to reform.

Zero sympathy for Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

First of all I never implied that I was ever anything other than " amateur sitting at a keyboard " no more than yourself. Also you seem to be letting your imagination running Away with you. I never suggested "lobbing missiles into Russian residential areas". However imo Russian military targets are fair game. You ask what I think Putin would do next? I don't know that but I do know what he's doing now. He's slaughtering Ukrainians. He will continue slaughtering Ukrainians as long as people like yourself adopt an " oh no let's not upset him " approach. The Russian people either don't know or don't want to know the truth of what's happening so it's time to give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

How is Putin still alive?

He's a liability to almost everyone

Not well informed? doesn't he have access to satellite channels and YouTube

Why are the Russian heavy artillery units not being destroyed ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is huge detail on what the Brits got through to their POWs.

They got in little magnetised neddles for compasses, they got in clothing that could be then used by tailors in the camps to turn into suits.

They used monopoly board sets to smuggle in silk maps, compasses and files.

Where the sets went was dictated by what maps were included.

And even better some of the money in the set was actually real currency for use by escaping prisoners.

The reason for silk is that it doesn't rustle like paper.

Fliers also had hidden maps sown into their uniforms.

Cardboard chess sets were also used to smuggle maps and other kit.

Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, draughts were also used.

Waddington was co-opted into the scheme by British secret service (MI-9) and had special operations room adding in all the secret stash.

Now there are two theories.

One is that the sets were then sent in via Red Cross to the prison camps.

Now there is counter theory that the sets were not sent in via Red Cross, but through ficticious organisations set up to help aid the escaping of POWs.

The argument for this was they didn't want the Red Cross parcels to be stopped.

It was the work of James Bond proportions, after all Ian Fleming was involved in secret service during the war.

There were two guys that masterminded the operation of smuggling in escape kit. One guy Christopher Clayton Hutton was a genius at coming up with ideas.

He even got EMI involved in designing gramophone records that would conceal maps. Jewish composers were avoided as they would be confiscated.

Because the records had to be smashed to get at the concealed contraband he labelled the operation "Smash Hits" and the records did actually play.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 54,185 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How was Hitler still alive when his army was crumbling ?

His inner circle rely on him, it's a symbiotic relationship. If Putin falls they all fall.

• Advertisement

'A taste of his own medicine' implies hitting civilian targets, especially within the context we were talking about around the time you posted.

As far as I'm concerned Ukraine can turn every single Russian military target inside Russia to ash using conventional weapons. I don't care about upsetting Putin, like I want him to have nice life, but there are certain actions that will be damaging to Ukraine/humanity as a whole. Attacking civilian populations would, in this amateur's opinion, greatly risk Putrid carpet bombing Ukraine. You just know the fúcker would do it and partial blame would fall on Ukraine leadership for attacking Russian civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

A few years ago I read "East West Street" by Philippe Sands, a story of Lviv and two of its inhabitants, and their role in the development of international human rights law. Sands features in this lengthy interview for the Guardian: a super read.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/mar/30/vladimir-putin-ukraine-crime-aggression-philippe-sands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is unfortunately the biggest issues imagination and delusions of anything outside of Ukraine is not allowed because people want Ukraine to have some imaginary Morals , while they get obliterated day after day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

There was a journalist who went on Eamon Dunphy's podcast claiming that not only has Putin's inner circle dwindled to a handful of people, but they're all madder than he is, and Putin is the 'moderate' voice.

Whatever the case may be, there is a wider circle of people in the Kremlin as well who would possibly support regime change so long as it came from within the Kremlin. Wholesale change of the Russian leadership would be nice, but simply getting someone in there who's not as ideological as Putin would be acceptable if it meant ending the war.

• Advertisement

If putin was removed I don't think this just ends , who ever takes over would likely stay the course in Ukraine ,

It would be great to wake up and find out Putin was removed permanently, but the war would still continue until who ever replaces him has some kind of consensus about what to do next ,the yes men will still want to stay at war to keep up the appearance mighty Russia the superpower,

We know thats all done and dusted super power wise , they are a simple regional power with nuclear weapons and nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Putin authorises 134,000 new army recruits to help the war.

He can't even equipp and supply the ones he has in Ukraine as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I disagree, if Putin has an "accident" it presents an out for whoever takes over. They can neatly blame Putin and some of the lower level hangers on for the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If that's raw recruits they will be sent to their deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Wagner group going in too.

Hilarious they literally get their name from Hitlers favourite composer who was Wagner.

Denazification Putin says!!

Definitely, it's one of the only real rapid off-ramps available. He's held in power by a very precariously stacked house of cards and there can be very few players indeed, who wouldn't breath a sigh of relief on his demise.

I wouldn't even be surprised if a deposal attempt by EITHER side, ilicited "approval" from the other.

People seem to under appreciate the fact that the effects of sanctions on the Russian consumers represent a strong hint that all is not well with the outside world, one hopes that they become more curious. In other words - big trouble may be brewing for Putin from the ordinary population too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ukrainian forces seem to be limited in what they can do about artillery positions - they are best adapted at the moment to defence against ground troops and using anti tank and anti aircraft/ missile weapons. That's why Zelensky repeatedly requests air power and tanks etc., so that they can take on the Russian positions and drive them backwards. Seems at the moment that the West is assisting with defensive weaponry and intelligence but unwilling to supply what is needed to reverse the invasion.

But they will have to stamp their authority on others like Ukraine , especially surrounded by those who put Putin in power and kept him there,

I don't see a straight forward off ramp if Vladi doesn't wake up tomorrow morning

No surely whoever might take on Putin would do so for very good reason and with the backing of big business interests, who'd be happy to shift the blame to Putin and pull back. It's the easiest way for Russia to get out of a deep hole.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply, I wonder if "behind enemy lines" sabotage attempts have been made. Those artillery positions seem to have been amazingly lucky so far. I think Biden should never have ruled out more direct confrontation - but maybe he's waiting for a surge of approval from the US population.

Why? Russia is an independent state in the new world order, not an empire. They would accept that Ukraine likely to join EU but little beyond that in terms of threat.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In terms of the "not well informed" bit there is propaganda on both sides. The comments today about him not knowing what's going on will have been released to increase pressure on him. Equally the US and UK are getting useful information from someone close to the Kremlin. They seem to know a lot about what's going on, and what's being contemplated by Putin. Part of that will probably be from wider intelligence gathering, but some of it does seem to come from within the Kremlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

If Putin was removed, which I am sure he will be, his replacement might well be much better. The biggest problem is Putin has put in place so many yes men in areas of authority, that to get at him or remove him, would be hard without an outright coup being declared.

Alexei Navalny who sees himself as a Nelson Mandela of Russia is the best bet to restore Russia and get it back on the right track. I am sure Navalny has his supporters including someone in the FSB who is smart enough to know Russia needs a plan B.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

they do however, have to bring their own packed lunches

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭POBox19

Someone drove their Rav4 to Ukraine. Screenshot from global News video last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm sure there are people out there with plans in place to attempt to take Putin out after this international mess he created. It's just a question of getting to him.

A little bit of optimism from Russian media and how they Russia are close to the annexation of East Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Worth noting that Afghanistan and Iraq were asymetric conflicts, this is all out war between two conventional armies, the casualy rates and equipment losses were always going to be higher.

The real question is what does the Ukranian side of that scoreboard look like and who can sustain their losses better? We don't know that answer but the wests refusal to provide certain assests is not helping Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It should be, but if your enemy are taking out their own troops then you have to be grateful to them, even if it is in the most gruesome manner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement