Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

The goal of their lies,is not to confuse/muddy the waters (though plenty of clowns will lap it up,unquestioned)

But to convey to you/everyone else,how little they respect you

iirc after the poisioning in uk,the excuse for being in that town,was essentially them 2 agents,reading out/learning off its wikipedia page of notable landmarks......while i openly admit to being ultra weary of uk politians and their motives,to my eyes it looked like sticking two fingers up at em

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a Russia expert make this point a few days ago. The more the Goebbels style lies and propaganda whips the population up, the harder it becomes for the regime to even get an 'out' from the Ukraine war.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I heard that On the sam Harris show. He had Ian Bremmer on and he predicted that. Thinks Putin will look to claim Eastern regions and sell it as a win back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yep. It's been described as a Firehose of Falsehood. I understand how it works on a macro level but I struggle to understand how a thinking individual can hold that contradictory stuff in their brain at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, I lived in Russia for several years, both in the KAMAZ / LADA era, and after ward, in more modern time's, and I'd guess that Ukraine would have been the same. But having said that, these Kamaz trucks were pretty rugged vehicles, I've seen what they were capable of in the mountains of Afghanistan, climbing mountains and crossing river's. While they would have been classified as commercial vehicles, they were built to a military design, and in fact, they were all painted a military green during production. Like the old Russian Tanks which Nato ( I think ) are handing over to Ukraine. Some posters are saying that its just NATO getting rid of old stock,,,,but INMO, the Ukrainians' will not need any instructions on how to manage these tanks,,,,,,and for sure, they will do a lot if damage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭omega man

Kosovo keen to expedite NATO membership. Presume some fear of Russian backed Serbian threat.

EU will need to stay united while also keeping a close eye on Hungary now more than ever. Orbans victory speech concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

30- 40 years ago, think of an abused alter boy in ireland trying to get help from anybody. Nobody would believe them. Even when many accusations were had, none were believed. You can find shocking revelations most decades in most countries and cultures were the crime/abuse seemed obvious afterwards but people turned a blind eye for numerous different reasons.

Sure father Ted had to be made in England because it was considered unsafe to make in ireland! The power of a strongly held belief can overcome many things, including common sense and crimes staring you straight in the face.

Look at Americans, lapping up Trumps absolute horsesh*t and the fact that the semi retarded , bleach drinking Umpa Loompa may get another shot at the WH. How is that even possible? We use political bias as explanation but it’s the same ignorance and belief that drives his support. 45%+ of Americans will vote for Trump , being a republican doesn’t change the fact he’s a dangerous sociopath and repulsive human being who has half of the USA voting for him. I mean Putin didn’t invade Ukraine’s during Trumps tenure because even he doesn’t know what Trump is capable of doing, there’s something wrong when a tyrant is even afraid of what you might do! There’s a deficiency in moral fibre in the voters decision to give that clown the keys to the white house .

People are easily manipulated, we all have our blind spots and it’s usually easier to spot the deficiencies of others. I’ve said it before but if, as humans, we learned to work on our own faults rather then excel at pointing out others , the world would be a much better place.

My son was talking about a couple of Russian kids in his class who were saying they can’t remember ever being in Russia and don’t understand what’s going on. I was explaining to my son that it’s not their fault and they’ve done nothing wrong. Not sure anything negative has happened but it would be quite pathetic for people to pick fights and abuse random Russians for just being Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lukewarm06

Interesting commentary from Donnacha Ó Beacháin on the tonight show.

He said we need to sever our reliance on Russian oil/gas as the Baltic states have done.."they are drug dealers with tanks and we are addicts"

Said their economy is small only the size of Italy..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I was rounded on when I said 3 weeks ago that yer man who reversed the lorry into the embassy gates should get a medal! " Oh this might antagonise putin " they wailed. Now look what the bastards troops have done. Not alone should the ambassador be fucked out but the embassy should be burned to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was surprised at Oracle's move as Larry Ellison is pretty much a horrible person, disappointed at Microsoft's reaction but not surprised at JP Morgan.

“America must be ready for the possibility of an extended war in Ukraine with unpredictable outcomes. We should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We must look at this as a wake-up call,” the letter urged.

“We need to make this a permanent, long-lasting stand for democratic ideals and against all forms of evil.”

Full disclosure - I have worked for all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that if you got rid of the Russian diplomats, the building itself would be far better off being used to help Ukrainians in some way, either as accommodation, or a school for Ukrainian kids, or an intake centre of sorts or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia is a small economy but al lot of what they sell is essential.

Globally important in fertilizer, energy, raw materials, esp rare minerals.

Relying on them now though is giving them leverage over us.

It is going to be a very hard break.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How about never giving it back...after what they have done to our neighbours

Same lad was so upset about foreign refugees that he sat on a 24 hour barricade to keep them out of apartments in his home town🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Usually (though not always, sometimes they are leased) the "sending state" (in this case the Russian Federation) owns the property themselves, and I would say considering the Russian Federation applied for planning permission a few years ago for that controversial extension I'd say in this case the usual applies (ultimately the title deeds determine ownership).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The interview the two Russian agents who went to Salisbury to poison Sergei Skripal did back in Moscow was fully designed to wind the British up. They went to Salisbury from London two days in a row but they turned back to London after half an hour on the first day. In their interview on Russian tv they said they left Salisbury after half an hour 'becasue it was too cold and Salisbury was covered in snow', this is coming from a pair of Russians used to temperatures of well below freezing. Then they admitted that they might have visited Skripals house by accident but they didnt know he lived there. And then they went on about visiting Salisbury to see its world 123 metre spire, 'the second highest church spire in Europe'

The whole interview and the story the agents concocted was a piss take run by Putin to let the UK know that he did have Skripal poisoned and that he couldnt care less what the British thought of him carrying out poisonings on their soil. Producing the two agents who carried out the poisoning on Russian tv pretending they were tourists was just Putins way of giving London the two fingers.

The rage of this thread is so strong - just shows how bad these war crimes are

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Not sure if this Tweet from German SPD Politician Florian Post was posted here already who is starting to get a little annoyed:-

Translated as:-

"I don't know if it's just me, but I'm starting to find the Ukrainian ambassador's impertinence unbearable. I condemn Russia's war of aggression in the strongest possible terms, but I don't feel like freezing, nor do I want a 3rd World War #Ukraine"

One of the many replies:-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Whilst I do agree with the sentiment of your post I would point out some other scenarios:

You could be sitting in the basement of some old Georgian building (since most modern Irish properties don't really have basements) trying to avoid the fallout drifting here from the craters that used to be London/Liverpool/Manchester/Birmingham/Edinburgh. Trying to explain to your young children what's happening and what's going to happen to them now that the world is literally ending.

You could be sitting in a Government subsidised hotel room with only one bed between you and your children; living on scraps because your profession and job was wholly reliant on supply chains involving Russian gas which was eventually embargoed without replacement due to significant public pressure. Trying to explain to your children why they're living in a hotel and what will happen to them.

So yes maybe you'll look back at our handling of the situation as all of those things; but maybe you'll be doing that from a comfortable life with four healthy children with their own healthy families in a European Union which includes a modern Ukraine; albeit one with a bit less land mass than it had at the start of the century.

As to how long can NATO sit back and watch this happen? Forever until nothing remains of Ukraine or the Ukrainian people; because they have both a responsibility and a duty to protect their own nations and families and allies and ways of life which they don't seem inclined to abandon for Ukraine. Not saying I necessarily agree with that position or with how NATO have handled things until this point but I can fully understand it.

• Advertisement

Germany has found Ukrainian resistance to be a problem.

Easier to be calling for Russia to respect human rights and lives in a quickly conquered Ukraine rather than the current inconvenience.

Zelensky today told Angela Merkel to view the dead in Bucha, that it was on her head.

A powerful challenge to the Kremlin's hireling in Berlin. Naturally she didn't bother to reply, refuses to condemn Russia.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He's on about the Russian gas being switched off I assume? Not sure his tone is the right one - makes it sound like he's far more annoyed with the Ukrainians than the Russians.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The Balkan Wars?

Don't you mean the Yugoslav War (it's actually a common but incorrect reference to the Yugoslav War)?

NATO's intervention was prompted by Yugoslavia's bloodshed and ethnic cleansing of Albanians, but, despite that there is still some doubt regarding the legality of their involvement, the UN themselves were highly critical of the NATO intervention, in fact I believe NATO themselves were accused of breaking the Geneva Convention due to their bombing campaign.

Any NATO intervention in any conflicts is unlikely to happen again unless it has UN backing.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

NATO are not going to use nuclear weapons first. They don't have to get directly involved. The Russians are losing this. At this stage I think we're going to see a continuation of military supply and sanctions.

Putin has had his Stalingrad. The war is turning and the Russians are retreating in disarray, their supplies are depleted and their troops are completely demoralised. Now it's time to start to liberate the other besieged cities Kharkiv, Kherson and Mariupol.

I'm wondering how the Russians and Putin are going to handle defeat. There's two options. 1 Russia descends into an isolated despotic state like North Korea, 2 Putin is deposed and Russia comes in from the cold to rejoin the international community. I know which one I would chose if I were a senior Russian politician or military commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Soups123

Yes quiet possibly it could play out as you say or maybe it doesn’t and NATO obliterate Russia. Who knows but what I do know is that there is a guy just like the one you described sitting in Ukraine having watched his wife and 5 year old daughter brutally raped(maybe 2 daughters, maybe a son), then shot dead before his eyes, but it’s not just one guy or one woman it’s 100s maybe 1000s and what you described above is no worse then those innocent people are living for real.

So the answer is Fcuk them let them suffer, it’s not my 5 year old daughter brutally wrapped and murdered, rather them than me? 

Don’t get me wrong the fear of where this could go as kept me awake at night the only concern being my kids and what they could experience but now it’s going to sleep with guilt questioning myself and can I do something can we really sit and watch and do nothing the past 48hrs that feeling has exploded.

Im not sitting here as a key board warrior saying that’s it time to go killing people. But I just don’t know how much more of this we can as a world watch this and do nothing

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Dutch UN peacekeepers were forced to sit on their hands while massacres happened in front of them in that conflict if memory serves. The Nato involvement was too little to late there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement