Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I listened to that podcast too. Was quite good, much better than the ones with Harari and Kasparov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Brilliant! Hopefully a few more suppliers/providers will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Time for Pharma to pull out of Russia and stop exports.

The morale obligation argument is done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting, home heating oil has dropped week on week for the last three weeks due to increase in supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Seeing confirmation in Twitter that the video of Ukranian Marines surrendering in Mariupol is kosher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mark Hertling seems to think that Ukraine will defeat Russia in Donbass, just like it did at Kyiv.

It looks like the next major offensive planned by the Russians could be the decisive one. They're going to patch together everything they have left in one final attempt to break Ukraine. Given their manpower issues and loss of equipment, it looks like this is their last chance to win.

For the first time, I've decided to donate directly to the Ukraine military. I had sent an e-mail to my local TD's asking that Ireland find a way to send support to Ukraine, but got a weasel non-answer. If they're not going to do anything, then I am, even if it's only a token small amount. I really do think Europe needs to stop Putin in Ukraine, if he doesn't, all we're doing is kicking the can down the road.

Anyone can find ways to donate to the Ukraine military by using this link https://kyivindependent.com/national/heres-how-to-support-ukrainian-military/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Distillates, gasoline and crude itself are all down over the last few weeks. There are very specific problems with Jet on the east coast of the US as they normally rely partly on imports from Europe which are not coming at the moment. Jet supplies are also low in general due to the decrease in demand over the previous couple of years.

It is a temporary problem and the record prices are very localised. We certainly won't be seeing diesel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Australia-made Bushmaster vehicles with Ukrainian markings were seen being transported to a local airfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It seems that they really have sent some of their greatest dregs of society into this war.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fantastic series and a must watch IMHO. It's one I'd put on the school curriculum.

People who dealt with and interviewed important nazis after WW2 noted a couple of psychopaths among them, but they were the minority. The top nazis with few exceptions were also of above average intelligence and seemingly "civilised" men with a few "charming" types among them. The further down the chain the more "normal" the men and women tended to get. Hitler and his minions knew this and used it too. They chanelled the psychos into concentrated areas like death squads and those who weren't psychos and objected were rarely punished, they were simply moved out into other areas. Russian leaders like Stalin back then and putin now being clumsy and primitive in response would have thrown them out windows, but the Germans were more subtle and clever about it and horrific too.

One of the reasons for evolution of The Final Solution to industrialised extermination camps was the Nazi leadership recognised very early on that most of their men even with all the nazi propaganda about subhuman rats couldn't take to mass murdering unarmed civilians with bullets and throwing them into pits and it was affecting morale. It was more "efficient" to create an industry where the bloody sharp end required a small number of men and women and they could fill those positions with eager psychos and keep it away from the "normal" Germans who could pretend to not really know what was going on and carry on their normal lives. But how could they!! Well, most of us reading this including myself like our steaks and rashers, but how many of that most of us would be OK with physically killing and butchering the cow and pig to get it? We distance ourselves from that nearly every day.

And yes civilisation is a thin veneer alright and ironically people will become very uncivilised to protect it, or more to the point their version of it. That's a very good thing if their version is democracy and freedom, a very bad thing when it's not, but the scary part is the bad will be more so believed and harshly defended as the good. It's one easy way to spot the bad. Today's Russia and yes a too large percentage of today's Russians being a perfect example. Another way to spot the bad is the lack of dissenting voices and nuance to the WE are always right and good, THEY are always wrong and bad credo. Again Russia and too many Russians are a perfect example of this too. Those screaming about putinbots and whataboutery everywhere would do well to remember that. If this were Boards.ru you'd see no Zelenskyybots and read no whataboutery.

We like the comfort of believing in monsters and by god they do exist, but the vast majority of people who follow monsters are just like you and me. It's more comforting to believe them to be monsters too. The vast majority of people just want to grow up build a life for themselves and their families, but those basic positive human desires can be twisted to horrific negative purpose so terribly easily. That's the chilling part we rarely like to acknowledge.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hard to believe this is 2022.

The past has taught us nothing, I fear self destruction is not far away.

Well given their boss putin is threatening the supply of oil it's ironically brilliant with it. And other suppliers are already refusing to deal with them. I'd be willing to bet if they needed a plumber they'd be very hard pressed to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I haven't watched the video, because I can't watch such things. But I based my thank on your description. You wrote that there were men laying there, few bleeding. And on a longer video, there was a man shooting into a man, who was down.

So for me it is not so obvious it was in fact an execution. It could have been a group of prisoners attacked and killed by outside forces, even from the air.. And the man shortening their suffering than letting them die slowly.

Only a short video not showing all the context means nothing in my opinion and is left to a wide interpretation. So can be used in a wrong way, that's why I am against spreading it.

But I didn't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The response is in weaponry, lots of it. Anything more will provoke Putin into God knows what. As has been observed more than a few times on this thread and in the media more recently his only possible win now are those eastern enclaves and even there they'll find it very hard to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I suspect their broken gate is still broken too!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If the Ukrainians wanted to hinder the logistics capability of the Russians more then they should be looking to take out the Crimean Bridge between Russia and Crimea.

It would create a massive propaganda statement and victory as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US stopped Russia paying holders of its sovereign debt more than $600m from reserves held at American banks, in a move meant to eat into Moscow’s holdings of US dollars. The move would force Moscow to decide whether it would use dollars it has access to for payments on its debt or for other purposes, including supporting its war effort, a Treasury spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Suggested newsreader script for end of clip --

" One could go as far as to say that the Russian Embassy is literally begging for kerosene donations - metaphorically of course "

The British investigative portal has published a live map that shows which areas in Ukraine were attacked by the Russian side on civilians. The map shows both the places where civilian objects were attacked by Russian artillery, as well as those where direct crimes against civilians were reported or the presence of the bodies of people murdered by the Russians was reported.

I assume you mean me?

And for the umpteenth time, all that I said was I wouldn't complain that Nestle were providing baby formula to Russian people.

Your borederline obsession with framing it as anything other than that is baffling.

Between equating it with me campaigning for Russian kids to get Easter eggs and not caring about kids in Ukraine eating stray dogs, and your exceptionally hostile posting style to anyone who slightly disagrees with you, I can't help but think you are posting in bad faith.

Posts like yours are why this thread has become almost unreadable.

The American Institute for War Studies assessed that the battle for Slavyansk (Donetsk Oblast), which Russian troops are trying to capture, is a key moment of the war in Ukraine. Taking control of this city will enable the Russians to surround the Ukrainian forces in Donbas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Indirectly it is. Russians have targeted an industrial tank with Nitric Acid which is highly damaging to respiratory organs and skin.

For some posters, this thread is like the Two Minutes Hate Orwell wrote about in 1984. Orwell hadn't envisaged the Internet though; the Two Minutes Hate can now run 24/7.

"A cancer in our midst" is a line from the film...

There are people that have read 1984 but only apply its insights to the Other, forgetting that it is a warning to us all, and a matter of personal responsibility that we resist the kind of degenerate howling into the Internet that this thread represents for some posters.

• Advertisement

I did no insisting.

I simply stated I wouldn't criticise a company for supplying Russian people with baby food.

You don't have to agree with me, but to keep bringing this up, WEEKS after the conversation, is unnecessary, petty and dishonest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement