Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I can seriously see the Ukrainians setting up a mossad style death squad to hunt down the perpetrators. Might take years to get them all, but I think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

2 Irish diplomats asked to leave Moscow embassy. This is our excuse, if one was needed to kick out at least 20 of the staff in the russian embassy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Drone following a Russian soldier back to his position, they even take shots at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Shame on South Africa for voting against it. Apartheid is not all that long ago and they vote against kicking Russia off the human rights council. Not a good look at all. Fair play to Hungary for doing the right thing and voting yes even if Orban and his government are detestable to say the least.

I really don't know how things are going to work out but it's the kind of thing that makes me think the last 20 years were a slow-burning culture war, and not in the "traditional" American sense.

An example I use is Hong Kong. Til 97 they had democracy and their own identity. The Brits pussied out completely and left them to it. Now we see the universities toing the Chinese line and ignoring Tiananmen Square. People might just realise that those institutions who shouted loudest turned their back and allowed history to be erased.

In the West we're seeing the same nonsense, spurred on by Russia (and China to some extent). Control, coercion, tough ****. I just wish people would cop on with their left/right nonsense. The truth is the truth. Look at the time and effort people put into discussing giant people who spent 20 years as a male being allowed to compete against women. And you're a bigot if you disagree. Family Guy had a great line about gay marriage. "I thought that was illegal?" "Nah just all of history until 5 months ago" :D I don't give a **** either way but for someone to even say it's a bit weird to them and they're not welcome on "the left". Take centuries of status quo and change it and just expect that everyone will think "Ah yeah that's normal". The right wing in America love this nonsense because it distracts people while they set up an even more corporatist version of China/Russia. The Right tend to be opportunistic with these things. And the Left have their usual issue of allowing perfection to be the enemy of good. We kinda see it with Daly, she's got her side and anything else that deviates has to be twisted into something about a completely unrelated subject. We're going through our own post-truth process and it'll not take much for us to go all the way with it.

Semi-random question, might have asked something similar earlier in the thread, anyone god any guides to the Russian revolution? One thing that strikes me is there's talk of the soviets (as in the councils) being one thing and the Bolsheviks being separate. Who were these soviets? Were they just a proxy? Did they merge?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It wont be just Ukrainians, there'll be groups lining up to finish them off.

Maybe the difference this time was this was a specific vote to kick (rightly) Russia off the human rights council at the UN and well lets face it China have their own human rights abuses to put it mildly. So maybe that explains why they voted against rather then abstained.

"Remember lads, if you're seen make sure to get back here so they can follow you to our position."

South Africa might as well be a failed state at this point. Nice for the theme-park tourists though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I think you got mixed up on what you replied to originally so, I'm assuming your directing that at Wallace (and Daly who didn't actually vote today) and the EP vote, but you said you were ashamed of our country in replying to my post regarding the UNHRC vote.

It's necessary and all but there's something about it that feels almost perverse that while the war is still going on that people are having to spend their time on that. How in the **** anyone can keep their cool in any way in that situation, I dunno. **** grim.

Could not agree more. Not sure how many Russians are in their Dublin embassy now but kicking most of them out seems reasonable to me. Leave them with just enough to actually be more like a legit embassy staffing for a country our size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Russia didn't lose any troops in Ukraine. That's all fakery. All that happened was a fellow hurt his finger carrying a washing machine, and he is being cared for by world experts in washing machine accidents, in Moscow.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

South Africa didn't vote against, they abstained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It'll sadden me when it falls, but by heck have they put up a hell of a fight. The city is a ruin, but they have fought for every inch of it, and they have the pride and admiration of the whole world for how they have held off the ruin army.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep, my apologies. Wrong vote I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Already talks about cutting Hungary off from EU funding because of their anti Ukraine - Pro Putin stance. They are walking on very thin ice.....and if push comes to shove, best let them go altogether.

Was there not efforts to cut of some of their EU funding based on their anti democratic moves within Hungary prior to all this?

• Advertisement

You are correct my mistake. Still doesn't change my point very much about shame on them considering the recent history with regard to apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Semi-random question, might have asked something similar earlier in the thread, anyone god any guides to the Russian revolution? One thing that strikes me is there's talk of the soviets (as in the councils) being one thing and the Bolsheviks being separate. Who were these soviets? Were they just a proxy? Did they merge?

I would say Soviets is the widest form. They were citizens of USSR, which consisted of many nations, so it is wider notion than Russians. But people usually call Russians Soviets. While Bolshevics were members or at least fans of communists party. So each Bolshevic was a Soviet, but not all Soviets were Bolshevics. In Poland we call certain way of thinking as Bolshevism (derogatory term), kind like Putinism. Anyway it is my understanding. But I might be wrong.

EDIT, yeah, but in 1917 Soviets were probably councilmen.

Post edited by JoChervil on

Whatever happened to the Anonymous info dump that would 'shake Russia to it's core' they were trumpeting a couple of weeks ago?

Those lads are great at self publicity aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

ireland has no embassy in The Sudan BUT the Irish embassy in Egypt looks after Irish interests in The Sudan. At least that used to be the case. ALSO in some countries where Ireland has no embassy but the British has, the Irish Government would have an arrangement with British embassy to look after certain matters eg Irish citizens with certain issues.

SO , why not have a strategy whereby the Russian Embassies in all the , for example, EU member states be closed down and let any business to be handled with Russia be handled by a newly set up ‘EU Embassy’

AFTER ALL, because of the new IRON CURTAIN most countries supporting sanctions will have little or no business dealings with Russia so there will be no need for an Embassy and the SUGGESTED EU Embassy should be able to handle the bit of business there might be.

Russia should not see this as a ‘slap in the face’. It’s because there will be so little business to be transacted. We, for eg Ireland, still have maintained the embassy concept by rearranging how we plan to do any business with RU in the future

the above concept will @also kill RU. Espionage activities stone dead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thinking about it, 'post-truth' might not be as accurate a phrase as 'post-consensus'. 'Post-truth' is just a bit snappier. It's not necessarily about what is objectively true, but at least what we agree to be true. If you lose consensus on enough things, you risk losing societal cohesion because there is no sense of a shared set of values between otherwise unaffiliated people inhabiting the same area. If you lose societal cohesion, you lose the ability to respond to threats and crises because of infighting. Russia and China are only too aware of this which is why it's very much in their interest to prop up and give voice to contrarian commentators in the West while locking their own sh*t right down. What I fear may happen in the West is that is that weariness of the confusion generated from post-truth gives rise to a thirst for authoritarianism because of the perceived certainty it offers. It's only lucky that Russia let the mask slip and given us a good bloody look at what the true face of authoritarianism is before it's too late over here. it's ugly, and it's hateful and it's selfish and it's evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Every single day for the past 45 odd days someone on here and elsewhere says Mariupol is about to fall.

And every single day it doesn't.

They have vowed to fight until the last man / woman, the criminal scum have no such aspirations.

I'll give them a while yet. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Will the same apply to countries that have provided material assistance and significant blocks to sanctions against Russia now and over the last 8 years.

Orban and Hungary are also rans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russian soldiers kept 130 people inside a school basement 65 meters squared for four weeks, they had to live with corpses, some had to sleep standing up because there was so little space. Some were taken outside and used as human shields.

Little bit of crossed wires here, understandable with the fact that "soviet" can be used in about a dozen contexts. :D

I meant soviet as in council. So there was the Petrograd soviet which apparently was powerful but was separate from the Bolsheviks. I think. So there were local soviets (councils) around the place and I don't get what they were or where they came from.

I agree with most of your post but I think they're separate but linked issues. When people in Europe have seen things with their own eyes that politicians (mostly on the left) will tell them didn't happen or that they're liars, that's where the "post-truth" bits fall.

The post-consensus stuff is maybe just a different kind of consensus. One issue is that consensus now seems to be buying all that one side say. We're fed a consensus that most people don't believe but the only parties willing to speak certain obvious truths are the nutty ones. Governments seem to deliberately hamstring themselves to follow this kind of consensus. At this point hate-speech laws are about silenting questioning the consensus we're all fed. Not to say the consensus is always wrong either. It seems to be it used to be that opposite opinions were argued, now the argument seems to mostly be against the fact that anyone would ever argue against the "consensus"/"truth".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Not only that. There's a war going on and the Brits are still arguing about cake. Re. the soviets - I heard a version that Stalinism was not the plan. Stalin seized power from the true communists and created Stalinism. He prevented true communism from coming about in Russia.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement