Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's true America bought 30 mig 29s to access and use as aggressor aircraft in air combat training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah I second that. I just think if numbers Russia claim areare been involved and if aircraft done same, Russia would release videos of targets been hit and destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's good that she's been defeated, but she's only one node in the network of the new far right, and it's only one battle in the war against that ideology. I guess that, like any war, it's something you can only really tackle battle by battle, but it's depressing watching the far-right constantly trying to figure out how to whittle away at the woodwork of liberal democracy, light fires at its foundation and try to push the structure down altogether. It only takes less than a handful of big countries to flip and we're all f*cked in the West. Something Mr. Putin is only too well aware of and why he's been backing the attempts. He believes of the West what Hitler believed of the USSR in 1940 - "We have only to kick in the front door, and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Russia don't need a reason to invade Moldova. Just like they didn't need a reason to invade Ukraine, where we've already seen that wasting resources, soldiers and conscripts lives and an entire country is really not a big concern for them.

But I'd speculate that if they were to invade Moldova - it would be for what they see as an easy regional victory (Transnistria) over a much less well equipped and smaller country to carry in triumph for their May day celebrations.

Vlad wants his big day and looks like he'll do just about anything to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's also the poorest country in Europe.

It's bad though. Historically it's been close to Romania. Most of it's culture is very Romanian. And for a while after the fall of the USSR it was thought it might become part of Romania. IF it was invaded, I'm not sure how Romania would handle it. And Romania is part of Nato.

• Advertisement

Romania being part of NATO in this scenario is largely irrelevant. If Romania intervened in Moldova ultimately leading to Russia invading Romania it wouldn't lead to NATO having to come to Romania's defence. Instead, I suspect, they'd provide Romania with as much weaponry it can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

we cant, we dont live in an autocratic country, this is not a fair fight, its autocracy against liberal democracy

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In the first or second week of this I suggested Moldova should invite US troops in for joint exercises and training of their own forces. They still should. The airfilds in Transnistria should be obliterated immediately as there is no land or sea corridor to there and landing troops by air is the only way they can make that a real mess.

Wake up US, wake up Europe, don't wait for things to get worse and for large amounts of Orc forces to start being flown in by air to generate a western conflict to draw limited Ukraine forces from the East.

I think the horde want to land large amounts of forces in Transnistria and use them to push south and take moldovan and Ukraine territory south to the Black sea so even more forces can be landed via that route to attack Odessa, bypassing the holdup at Mykolaiv.

Reports are they only have 10% of the paratroops left, having lost 90%. They wouldn't fly them over Ukraine, but from the south via the black Sea. They aren't going to care about Moldovan resistance to that idea.

The US needs to find some courage, and fast, to stop the invasion and takeover of Moldova which seems imminent.

They'll probably get recent conscripts and stick a paratrooper badge on them, 'you're now a paratrooper'. Problem solved 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m wondering if it was a “work to rule” form of sabotage, and that the guy knew exactly what he was doing. And then vanished on his own terms.

There are less contrived ways to commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Size and population-wise, Transnistra is to Moldova what Cork is to Ireland.

Galling to think that somebody would take over the whole country just because of an affinity with one small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For all intents and purposes tranistria have largely stayed out of the conflict so far , avoiding getting involved in Ukraine. I don't think that is by accident. The region itself whilst technically Russian is probably more like DNB wanted to be. A region governed by themselves under Russian protection. They seemingly have a good relationship with Moldova and had a good relationship with Ukraine. And the permanent peace keeping force have a handy number being quite settled.

I see these false attacks as being actual more little green men from Russia attempting to stir stuff up and flood the field. Forcing some reaction from what are but aren't Russian leadership in tranistria. I'm sure the Russian troops there, are looking on going nah not having a taste of what's happening next door cheers.

I'd also say Moldovan reps and tranistrian reps are on direct and frequent discussions. The Russian troops will want to weather the storm from Moscow to mix it up. That's the only unknown quantity here. Can they, will they.

It looks like the German government is possibly either being shamed or stong armed  into providing heavy weapons, which German arms manufacturers have already said are ready to go to Ukraine once the German  government  gets its finger out. 

Forty countries are  currently holding emergency talks at the  Ramstein airbase in south-western Germany on bolstering the defence capabilities of Ukraine.

The US-hosted meeting is said to be focusing on doing whats necessary to generate additional capability and capacity for the Ukrainian forces

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-to-send-tanks-to-ukraine-as-us-hosts-defense-conference-live-updates/a-61590982

Scholz, whose SPD party traditionally maintains close ties with Russia, has variously argued amongst other things that it would take too long to train Ukrainian soldiers to use the weapons, that Germany had no weapons to sell, and that selling weapons could provoke Putin.

Some have  also questioned Germany's commitment to NATO's mutual defence pledge because arguments used to avoid supplying Ukraine - that it could provoke confrontation with Russia - could also be used as an argument against Germany invoking the pledge.

Which side is Germany going to definitely come down in the current situation is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Germany is firmly, albeit unintentionally, on the Russian side by virtue of financing its war effort.

An excellent and cautionary example of the dangers of inbreeding.

To get to Moldova from the Black Sea they'd need:-

A) get to the Ukrainian coast without meeting the 'Roman god of the sea' and other nasties.

B) get past Ukrainian military.

Neither would seem enticing to an already overly stretched Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

@cnocbui

Reports are they only have 10% of the paratroops left, having lost 90%. They wouldn't fly them over Ukraine, but from the south via the black Sea. They aren't going to care about Moldovan resistance to that idea.

The US needs to find some courage, and fast, to stop the invasion and takeover of Moldova which seems imminent.#

Unless the Russians order full conscription, it seems a stretch that their military could stage an invasion of a second country to compliment to the very subpar job they're currently doing of invading the first, and even if they were to try and do a hostile takeover of Moldova, it's not as if they could teleport them in. They have to mass the requisite resources, and that would be happening under the gimlet eye of U.S. satellite cameras, so Moldova would have prior warning. While Russian troops might be welcomed into Transnistria (presumably), the rest of Moldova not so much, which is overwhelmingly ethnically Romanian.

• Advertisement

It could also be argued that they are firmly on their own side and happy to keep largely schtum with the Russians on the thorny issue of heavy weapons for Ukraine in order to keep the oil and gas flowing freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yes its time to draw the line,alltough i have i my doubts that Russian forces will reach Odessa once Ukraine gets their western weapons and start pushing back on the offensive.

4 less Russian tanks to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A drunken terrorist would be fook all use. 😉

Yes we might as a race have had, and continue to have, problems with drink.

Oh and you forgot the image of the Irish as brawlers.

But at least we never tried to wipe out entire races.

A hell of a lot of Germans were good little nazis and trying to rewrite history can't change that fact.

In the Reichstag election in July 1932, the Nazis became the largest party with 230 seats and 37.3% of the vote.

The next nearest party (the SPD) had only 21.6% of the vote.

Fair fooks to your grandfather, but stop getting antsy when you are called out on your totally factually incorrect statements.

Your initial statement was the following:

No nazis escaped the Israeli intelligence either after ww2,and they didnt have internet in those days.

Then you rolled back on it by proclaiming it was only the

I was talking about the higher ranking officers closest to Hitler,not guards in a concentration camps.

Not everyone escaped to Argentina or had the money to even get out of Germany

which is also factually incorrect unless of course you just want to count Goering, Himmler, Hess, Goebels and Speer.

Anyway we are going off topic.

Suffice it to say it is the Russians now that are behaving as Nazis, using every trick in the book to try and wipe out a state and a people all at the behest of their deluded overlord.

I am not allowed discuss …

Moldova has long being considered the poorest country in Europe.

Actually Ukraine was considered second poorest.

Ukraine had inherited a lot of the old Soviet kit to start it off.

Ukraine had more of an industrial complex with steel and coal in the East, Antonov in Kyiv and massive farming areas around the country.

I am surprised the russian havent hit Ukraines supply lines before?We are 2 months into the war allready

I am sure there are alternative options and routes

Media have to take some of the blame here to showing footage of weapons and locations in Ukraine and when it is there

• Advertisement

How close are Romania and Moldova ?

Would Romania feel connection to ethnic Romanians in Moldova and step in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement