Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The threat of sanctions is not going to dissuade Putin. They are planning on expanding their territory into one of the largest countries in Europe. They'll have stolen hundreds of billions worth of land and natural resources

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

LOL - Ukraine is one of the - if not the - poorest countries in Europe, with a GDP per capita less than El Salvador and a constantly declining population. If Russia was to annex Ukraine it would become a bottomless blackhole of expense to the Russian state. If Russia needs anything from Ukraine, it can simply buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

Also it must be costing the Russians a fortune to keep all these troops in their present positions. Those tanks look like real gas guzzlers not to mention the rest of it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Viktor Yanukovych disagrees .

Putin bought him and look what happened

'LOL'

Ukraine have a trillion cubic metres of gas reserves worthmore than a hundred billion that Putin would love to control, not just because monopolising gas reserves in Europe is pretty much his only real leverage

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

How many pro Russian States are highly developed functioning democracies? Ukraine did not prosper under pro Krelin rule and it is logical for them to look at former Soviet states that were extremely poor after the fall of communism and see which and why they succeeded. Bulgaria, Romania and the Baltic States in particular have come on leaps and bounds since EU membership.

Belarus had some serious political upheaval last year and their dictator is certainly on the ropes. Kazakhstan is in a similar position at the minute. Ukraine gaining EU membership and becoming more developed would make those around them start to question their status quo and in turn reduce the influence, power and cheap (maybe free) access to resources that the Kremlin currently enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think Putin will be happy enough to pressure Ukraine into publicly or privately kicking NATO membership far down the line. He doesn't particularly need "Lebensraum", just enough foreign confrontation as required to keep the hardliners and nationalists content (and in line with him)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 KrazyKMM

I agree with you. Media sources cannot be trusted. They make things worse than they actually are. Just for the clicks. And people absolutely believe them. They need to start classes in schools that teach how to assess the media and not fall for their propaganda tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭MFPM

'Beaten', now how have you arrived at conclusion? I stated from day 1 here there would be no invasion while you and the rest of the 'imminent' club told us it was happening...we're still waiting. As for personal sleights, take a look in the mirror lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As an aside and having watched a YouTube documentary on the Silk Road recently . It struck me just there and just checked that the economic Silk belt China is spending nearly a trillion dollars on passes right through.... Where to get to Moscow....... .?

Map here.

Coupled with Putin plans to control the Northern ice passage with the every growing global warming and building ports in siberia. perhaps he's seeking to shore up economic trade routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how long before the little green men get replaced by little yellow men

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Sorry you're incorrect from day one you ve been pumping out anti west anti us pro Russian propaganda.

Your points have been ripped apart on multiple occasions by multiple posters you ve even been banned from the thread.

Even your "there will be no invasion"mantra is nonsensical are you Nostradamus?

Your trying to call people out for believing Russia will invade the Ukraine AGAIN! As they mass troops on the Ukraine boarder and Putin puts out an aggressive rethoric about an invasion.

But yeah ofc we should all listen to your ramblings as if they are fact when you can't even acknowledge the fact Russia is the bad guy here and has already infact invaded Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

You did. You said: "A quick search of the airbase near Kaliningrad this morning. Newer Russian Su-27's on the apron, with older airframes together with a couple of either Mi-8's or 17's minus rotors over near the hardened shelters." on post 4072

March is cold in Russia -1 to 6 degrees with rain and snow. The date of March 26th 2021 is probably the date Google uploaded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Mea culpa, happy to clarify you are correct

I'll man up and admit I made an error

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lots of ex soviet republic's found themselves in the same boat...but a few years in the EU, under democratic rule got them straightened out,,What about Russian today, for ordinary Russians ( not the select few, the oligarchs ) ? Where for every 1'000 births, there are 495 Abortions. Something radially wrong with a country where 1 /3 of the women prefer not to bring another Life into the world they live in, but cannot change. Like wise, for men, Alcohol is responsible for much larger proportion of death's than in the west, due not only to alcohol related health issues, but in terms of % of road traffic accident deaths. Over the years these figures have improved, certainly, but they are still very high, and contribute to the overall drop in population figures. Russia today, is far from paradise for ordinary Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Building bridges across rivers and driving tanks west... On the day they said they were finished exercises and packing up.

Who falls for their propaganda I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The whole thing reminds me of hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis which talks about Putins shapeshifting:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why not hit first while they are all lined up in their parking lots? They are probably going to say there were attacked first anyway. At least get the first strike in, what's the worst that can happen?

They really needed to have these drills. Sure they got lost trying to find their way home

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

Estonian Foriegn intelligence also saying Russia are moving troops and missiles closer to the border and are likely to launch a limited military strike. Darn pesky Americans, first they set up cardboard cutouts of Russian soldiers and tanks on the border, and now they have infiltrated Estonia's intelligence agency and releasing false statements on their behalf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Ya see, you didn't quite pick up on the colloquialism here. In Ireland we tend to affix a rough time to a statement, or even make the statement "I'm after" or similar.

This morning in this case means he was looking this stuff up, this morning.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Out of all of this what would a Russian invasion do to the European economies? Russians own vast reserves of commodities like metals and natural gas. Oil jumped up in price due to investors being worried gaining access to Russian crude oil reserves. A natural gas pipeline runs through Ukraine. On a wholescale level Poland and Germany would be rightly fucked with the amount of natural gas and oil that they import from the Russian (approx 20% for Germany - https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=File:Share_of_extra_EU_imports_of_petroleum_oils_and_natural_gas_by_Member_State,_first_semester_2021.png) . Russia is also the third largest producer of wheat in the world - so expect inflation and a price increase in basic commodities

And surprise surprise --American natural gas exports to Europe are increasing...https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/feed-to-u-s-lng-export-plants-soars-as-7th-terminal-loads-first-cargo-2

Reminds me of Haliburton and Iraq...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

20 years ago US satellites were able to detect Iraqi mobile chem-labs (except the labs were weather balloon stations). Surely they've improved the lenses on their cameras to accurately detect Russian troop movements. Apparently these sats can read a license plate....either they can or they can't and we were all led to believe a bunch of horsesh1t.

So, where are the satellite pics of Russian troops, tanks, batteries, etc?

Since the super intelligence have got it wrong again I wonder if they are competing with those religious cults like the 7 day adventists or the Jehovah gang. I think one of them holds the record for wrongly predicting the end of the world.

So when is the next imminent invasion gonna happen? I'm still waiting for Iran to "wipe Israel off the map" any day now. Been waiting since 2005.

It would have been so simple to just photograph this massive buildup on Ukraine's "doorstep" yet not a single image...nothing. Also for each soldier you might need maybe 2 backup personnel....food, relief, etc. So for 2 months 150,000 troops have been amassed at the border. Where are the units that provide them with comms, food, water, medical supplies or do these soldiers just sit in the snow, never washing and just eat snow foxes for weeks on end?

🤣

Do tell which of my points have 'been ripped apart' and by whom, I'm sure it would be a surprise to both them and I.

One doesn't need to be Nostradamus, one just needs a little bit of political judgement and experience, things you seem sadly lacking

I've simply asked you and others to suspend their own bias and try to apply some critical thinking to what's going on, while there are a couple of posters on the 'imminent invasion' side who are a little more considered on the matter too many like you are just echoing the lazy propaganda of the US, UK and their puppets in NATO.

As for your last paragraph, it aptly demonstrates that you either haven't read my posts or you're content to lazily throw out any old sleight to avoid dealing with what I actually post...for someone who writes under the name 'TheTruth89' you seem to have no relationship with the concept of the 'truth'.

There's alot of 'likely' and 'if' in the report and of course what's this 'intelligence' based on - they don't say.

At least they don't say the 'invasion' is 'imminent' that's a welcome change!

I'm just wondering .....

Apparently Russia is imminently about to invade Ukraine with 100/130/170k troops on the border.

Ukraine have a military of a quarter of a million. Now if you had that at your disposal allegedly to defend your country then why aren't they all at the border awaiting the onslaught?

I'm not a military strategist but I understand strategy. You don't play a football match with no defenders or just one against 2 strikers and 4 or 5 attacking midfielders.

If the invasion is imminent then have the reserves been mobilised? Has a draft been implemented?

A Russian invasion...with 150k troops, haha. And not a single Ukrainian tank division on the border to stop this mythical attack.

If Russia wanted to invade Ukraine as we are led to believe then why would they not just shut off the lights until Ukraine were freezing and starving?

Ukraine's 3 biggest trading partners are China, Poland and ...RUSSIA. Stop trade for a day or two from China and Russia and the place is struggling. A week later it's on its knees without a shot being fired.

GDP has nothing to do with anything. Afghanistan is one of the most mineral rich countries on Earth as is the DRC. Ukraine has some of the most fertile farmland in the world The fact that the people of these countries are scratching around to make a live has nothing to do with how much wealth is under the soil.

Why can the US conduct "drills" 10,000k from America in places like the South China Sea, Gulf Of Oman, Persian Gulf, Straits of Hormuz, etc...yet the Russkis can't conduct drills on their own soil? Likewise why can't the Russkis fly a drone or a fighter in international airspace yet the US can do it in someone else's country?

Do you see ?

Now you may think that the US conducting drills off the coast of another country is just fine. Others might not. You have to look at things from others' perspectives before you jump to conclusions.

Think about it for a moment. If I'm outside your house with a gang of pitchforkers you're naturally going to feel under threat. If I tell everyone behind me that we are there to protect ourselves from you and the imminent threat that you pose. again you going to wonder who is telling the truth and to what end, no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

“I'm not a military strategist but I understand strategy”

Apparently not very well. You don’t hold an initial defensive line with tanks. In fact, if you have space to trade, you have as little as possible up front. It’s impossible for a defender to be strong enough everywhere to defend against even a smaller opposition striking at specific points of their choosing, so you keep your mobile forces further to the rear in order to react against such moves.

The timing of bringing up reserves is always tricky. It murders an economy, so the trick is rapid mobilization with time bought by units further forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement