Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He says numerous times he wants the ussr back and it’s demise was a catastrophe (for Russia). None of this should come as a y surprise to any of us. The mistake was not fostering a western style democracy and the time to do it would have been in the 90s. Too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does Russia "Declaring War" mean it can mobilise more troops or whats different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

If Russians want to know what a fascist is they should just look in the mirror at their own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

What a ridiculous assumption.

And it's not Russia's current behaviour, it's Putin's current behaviour.

Wow, nice way to have a discussion. First of all, what I am saying is not an "assumption". It is as close to a historical fact as anything could be. Secondly, if you call my attempts to educate you "ridiculous", I actually agree with you, as you seem to be incapable of learning.

Secondly, don't blame all of this solely on Putin. Russians are responsible and at least a sizable minority of them support the most vile, repulsive crimes perpetrated by the russian army in Ukraine.

You don't create a madman. Craziness is already inherent in them.

You are wrong, go read some books. Look up "power corrupts" in Google for recommendations. If Putin wasn't elevated to power, he'd be just a boring retired FSB pensioner with no notable achievements and, most importantly, no homicidal ambitions.

It's the here and now that needs dealing with, not seeking to apportion blame by referral to events long gone

Sorry, my posts can seem sudden and abrasive. So it won't come as a surprise to you that on the basis of your post, I regard you as a person of a lesser intellect.

which really have no bearing on the mental state of the lunatic who's threatening the world.

The history matters, and it matters a lot. I am sure that Russia will lose this war. What's next? After Putin is gone, the West should make sure that it does not support another convenient tyrant like Yeltsin just because he says the right words.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If true, disgusting

"Ukraine has accused Russia of planning to hold a ‘Victory Day’ military parade in the captured city of Mariupol on 9 May to celebrate victory over the Nazis in the second world war, AFP reports.

Ukraine’s military intelligence said an official from Russia’s presidential administration had arrived in Mariupol, to oversee plans for the parade.

In a statement, it said:

Mariupol will become a centre of ‘celebration’. The central streets of the city are urgently being cleaned of debris, bodies and unexploded ordnance.

Ukraine’s military claimed a “large-scale propaganda campaign” is under way, adding:

Russians will be shown stories about the ‘joy’ of locals on meeting the occupiers.

Mariupol’s mayor, Vadym Boichenko, later told Ukrainian television there were ongoing “works” in the city, as if the Russians were preparing for something.

Boichenko said:

They are removing signs of the crimes they have committed."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

More disgusting than killing children and eating dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Cherry-picking history we can blame anyone and everyone for Putin

Fact is, he's been in power for two decades, enjoys genuine support among Russians and many over there seem to share his nationalism and twisted views of the world. That is where the ultimate responsibility and blame lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Time for some more drone stikes me thinks....kill a few of the fukking mongrels .

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Send even more poor conscripts to the slaughter.

Instruct manufacturing to focus on war the effort, increase military spending, jail more Russians who hold up invisible banners.

Probably try and tap the likes of China and India for "aid".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Advertisement

I am not cherry-picking at all. I am going back to the source of all of this. 1993 was a bifurcation point where everything could have gone differently. Then the West chose a convenient tyrant over the democratic principles and that led to the current state of affairs.

You are saying that "[Putin] been in power for two decades". Ok, so what did the West do for the last 20 years except facilitating Putin? In 2008, Georgia lost South Ossetia to Russia. No real reaction from the West. Then in 2014 we know what happened, and some sanctions were imposed, but the West was happy for Ukraine to have a bleeding hole in its side forever, as long as the business with Russia can continue.

This war will end one day, maybe even very soon. What is the plan for the future? Does the West want to persuade Ukraine to give up its territory to Russia in exchange for a "peace deal", so that the gas can flow unimpeded to Germany? Will the West chose another convenient compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, it means they can claim they are in a state of emergency, declare martial law in Russia, conscript soldiers and force them to go the front etc.

But military experts think it might not help their war effort that much at all - they still have a badly trained army, are low on morale, poorly equipped, badly led....throwing more soldiers into such a shambles hardly improves things a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

No, I don't believe it can ever go back to the "same old, same old" Putin has destroyed completely the old order, and a new order is being formed at the present time, and what it will look like when complete, will not even remotely resemble the old one. First up, security. There will be massive increase in military spending, and self sufficiency in oil and gas. Economically, likewise. Russia will bear the brunt of economic fall out, especially from the EU, UK, USA, Australia and other aligned Country's. They will form even closer cooperation / security groupings. Putin broke all the rules, and that will never be forgiven, and the world needs to make an example of what happens when you behave like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Recruitment in Donbas-

A person from Russian-occupied Donbas tells me in her town, almost all males aged between 18 and 55 have been sent to the war against Ukraine as cannon fodder.

That’s including 18-year-old schoolboys.

“All who haven’t managed to go into hiding, have been mobilized.”

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1521228157961089024?s=20&t=WbgaGDq6VSrYvmAsGJftLg

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@victor8600 - Wow, nice way to have a discussion. First of all, what I am saying is not an "assumption". It is as close to a historical fact as anything could be. Secondly, if you call my attempts to educate you "ridiculous", I actually agree with you, as you seem to be incapable of learning.

Who exactly do you think you are with your "attempts to educate people". You're nothing but a nobody on an anonymous forum. As for being "incapable of learning" then I suggest you apply that phrase to yourself as you've convinced yourself that events of over 30 years ago have influenced Putin being the madman he is today. Totally delusional.

@victor8600 - Secondly, don't blame all of this solely on Putin. Russians are responsible and at least a sizable minority of them support the most vile, repulsive crimes perpetrated by the russian army in Ukraine.

It doesn't matter who supports Putin and who doesn't, but it is only a minority as you've agreed above. The bottom line is that PUTIN ordered the war. PUTIN directs operations. And PUTIN makes all the decisions. So about 140 million ordinary Russian people have absolutely no say in this whatsoever. And if they raise their heads above the parapet to complain then they and their families will also suffer indignities.

@victor8600 - You are wrong, go read some books. Look up "power corrupts" in Google for recommendations. If Putin wasn't elevated to power, he'd be just a boring retired FSB pensioner with no notable achievements and, most importantly, no homicidal ambitions.

I agree that power corrupts. Where have I said that it doesn't???

You said that events from over 30 years ago made Putin the madman he is today. I disagreed.

Power may corrupt but it doesn't make you any more insane in the head than any other event that happens in your life.

@victor8600 - Sorry, my posts can seem sudden and abrasive. So it won't come as a surprise to you that on the basis of your post, I regard you as a person of a lesser intellect.

You're really full of yourself with the insults. You're "attempting to educate me". I'm "incapable of learning", and you regard me as "a person of lesser intellect".

Some would likely report you for that, and get you a short holiday. I'm happy to just let you keep embarrassing yourself in front of lesser intellects on here.

@victor8600 - The history matters, and it matters a lot. I am sure that Russia will lose this war. What's next? After Putin is gone, the West should make sure that it does not support another convenient tyrant like Yeltsin just because he says the right words.

You sure talk a load of gobbledygook.

History hasn't made Putin mad, as you claim. If history did that to folk, then with mine I'd be mad, as likely would everyone else on here.

You've got into this discussion with me simply because of my disagreeing with your assertion that events of over 30 years ago made Putin the madman he is today. A wholly ridiculous statement. And no amount of your pseudo-intellectual babble will convince folk otherwise.

Don't bother replying as I've no wish to converse with you further. You're probably too busy anyway as a person with such a high intellect as yourself no doubt has university lectures to give, and articles to compile for books of enlightenment for future generations. Zzzzzzzzzzz

You've got into this discussion with me simply because of my disagreeing with your assertion that events of over 30 years ago made Putin the madman he is today.

It's your words, not mine. Events from 30 years ago onwards show that the West repeatedly talks about supporting the democracy, but short-term interests trump all any real support for the democracy in Russia. Now everyone sees that Putin is a dangerous tyrant. Did that happen overnight? No, the roots of the problem lie in the past.

Hopefully, this time, we will learn (again) that appeasement of tyrants does not work. They start by killing political opponents, then grabbing "contested" lands, and then they become a global problem.

Don't bother replying as I've no wish to converse with you further.

Thank you, bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

So the invasion is all the fault of the West. Another Western basher.

You'll make a lot of friends on here. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

So Russia plans to officially invade Ukraine soon. Given what's left of the Russian army, I suspect they are now recruiting 'Dads Army'

As John Mcclane might say 'Yippee-ki-yay motherrussia'

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oof. High price to pay for taking a sh*tty job for a propaganda outlet, but thems the breaks.

You can see on his Twitter profile he's been live-tweeting his mental contortion following the war. Going from the "invasion articles are a Western media plot" to a classic "all wars bad" and "yes, but NATO" merchant. Sounds familiar eh?

Very hard to feel sorry for him and this mud will stick in his "journalistic career".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Yet none of the muck that he peddles was reported in that article. In fact on first reading that I would of thought he may have been hard done by if I hadnt read your post first.

Typical RTE shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Embarrassing as a fellow Kilkenny man. What a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems he's been at it a while give this article dates back to 2014 when Russia took Crimea.

"MacDonald also resorts to threats and intimidation against those whom he fails to influence, and he is especially sensitive to any inquiries about his resume or his role as a pro-Kremlin mouthpiece."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I will be bitterly disappointed if this conflict fizzles out by Russians blowing the bridges in the East, holding Donbas and the land bridges and declaring victory.

I know thousands have died and millions of people have been uprooted, but somehow I feel that NATO have missed an opportunity to cripple Russia once and for all, by calling her bluff on the WMD's.

I feel that Russia will back off soon, demand a concession from Zelensky, strangle Ukraine's economy through controlling her ports and still overshadow the country through the threat of random airstrikes in Kiev and elsewhere. In other words, Europe with a madman on her doorstep that knows he got away with the seemingly impossible.

It's also a dangerous time, for Russia at least, because the Baltics are itching for a fight, more than the rest of us, and they too will be bitterly disappointed with the loss of an opportunity. From now on is the time when " mistakes" are likely to happen to try to drag NATO into doing what I feel they should have done earlier in the conflict.

> I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I will be bitterly disappointed if this conflict fizzles out by Russians blowing the bridges in the East, holding Donbas and the land bridges and declaring victory.

Exactly. Because if this happens, Russia will regroup and attack again, going for Ukraine and Moldova. This must not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Not surprised in fairness. Hard enough to hold any type of event in the park, let alone this type of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Russia must be allowed no victory. They must be ran out of Ukraine (all of it) and then pay for reparations. Full sanctions in place until they do, and those reparations go a lot further than the material damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any of the gobshítes trying to "organise" or attend a bootleg version of this rubbish needs to be fined to high hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Any decent Russian who opposes this war would not attend because of the shame and embarrassment they must feel from what their nation is currently imposing on a peaceful country. Any who would attend...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unless NATO are willing to back Ukraine with serious firepower its a real possibility. Like most war reporting, what we're hearing is the usual dubious stuff, the usual other side is crap, our side is doing great.

Ukraine need to be able to dislodge the Russians from their occupied territory, especially in the south, otherwise the Russians will consolidate and hold out.

Given the likes of France, Hungary and Germanys support that is no support (and the Ukrainians have to worry about Macron, Orban et al clueing in Putin on the state of play when it suits them) They are going to need the Americans above all else to commit serious hardware to give the Russians a shoeing without losing reams of men. Heavy anti aircraft systems and heavy missile systems, which the Yanks are nervous about as the Ukranians will probably start hammering the likes of Sevastopol or I-can't-Believe-its-not-Moldova-tria with them.

I hope the Russians escalate and the Poles etc wade in and give them a kicking. Vlads nuclear threat is a load of my arse, Russia needs to be rolled right back up to it's borders and kept there. Iron Curtain Mk 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It won't happen, it would depend on Ukraine accepting terms and that won't happen even if some Europeans try to pressure them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement