Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Explain that please. The Russian economy will be hurt because the troops are spending money in one part of the country rather than another? Makes no sense.

Europes energy woes are of their own making. Russia has always fulfilled its long term contracts and now Europe turns to short term spot pricing and are getting squeezed.

The Russian economy is benefiting from the crisis.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Russia still sees itself as one the great powers of the world.

We can laugh at them here in the west, but it doesn't really matter what we think. That's what they believe.

They see the west trying to dominate their region of the world, and they feel disrespected and humiliated by this. Why would you want a nuclear armed superpower with massive natural resources to be pi$$ed off and humiliated with it's place in the world?

It makes for an unstable and potentially very dangerous world. Show them some respect, give them some security guarantees, and perhaps we can all co-exist more peacefully together. Thumb your nose at their concerns, and perhaps we all get to live in a very dangerous and tense world for the next few decades.

If we allow our arrogance and ego in the west, to prevent us from reaching some sort of agreement, what will future generations say about our society? That we stubbornly took what we saw as the moral high ground, and plunged the world into another depressing cold war? (or worse?)

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There not spending money on the Ukrainian border

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

An agreement? Like Neville Chamberlain reached with Hitler in 1938?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

You can't give in to the likes of Putin and his regeim, to peacefully co exist because they don't want to co exist they want to expand to be a more dominant force in the world and they will keep chipping away the stronger and more level with the west the get the more likely they will be to use force again to gain there next objective.

They only understand one thing and shouldn't be appeased more kept in check.

Because if the shoe was on the other foot they would be nowhere near as reasonable or tolerant as the west is.

You only have to look at there own country to get an idea of what sort of world they would implement left unchecked and unchallenged.

• Advertisement

I never made any secret that I do have some admiration for certain aspects of Putin's leadership qualities. I don't like everything about the man, however.

I still don't understand how having any sort of soft spot for Putin, means that I want him to bring nuclear weapons onto the border with Ukraine? Can you explain that logic? As this appears to be what you're vaguely suggesting.

I wouldn't put much weight behind opinions from people such as yourself. It's very obvious to me, when I'm conversing with someone who has little if any ability to think for themselves. This is why our own political systems have become such a giant waste of time in many western nations. In order for a nation to create any leaders worth voting for, you first have embrace the sort of culture that promotes freedom of thought... because most great leaders have a mind of their own and strong convictions. But we don't value these characteristics anymore. It's more important to be popular, than it is to think for yourself. Right and wrong-speak, cancel culture for daring to have a view that goes against the consensus opinion etc etc.

We actually deserve the type of useless leaders we get in the west. Our culture has created these spineless empty suits, that spend their entire career flapping about with no vision or strong direction.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yes, he is such a brilliant guy - stealing billions from his own people. Happy to keep the democratically elected leaders we have in the west, if the option is a dictator and a thief.

Newsflash Russia isn't a superpower !

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

You claim to value freedom of thought and yet admire Putin, who kills his opponents. 😄😄😄😄😄

No more needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's good that you don't like "everything" about Putin & his leadership. Always thankful for small mercies. I don't know if you want him to start shifting mobile ICBMs about the place in Russia to "spook the Yanks". You seemed a bit excited by the prospect in your post (which would be insane of course) but it is hard to get the tone in text.

Well never the twain shall meet and all that. I would put zero weight behind your opinions expressed here either. Above, you are regurgitating a load of what have become very boring alt right/far right type tropes. There may be truth in some of these criticisms of "the West", but when you look at the people and politicial movements in the West who are loudest in coming out with such stuff (and who supports them as useful agents of chaos - people like Putin!), it is clear it is stopped clock territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Every thing about Putin is stage managed..the strong masculine image, the sound bites etc. And yet, for all of these "impressions" , in his 20 years in absolute power, what has he done with Russia that is positive ??? He has created a warlike state, that people / Countrys can't wait to leave. Now suppose that he had taken it in a different direction, created a state that Country / People would not want to leave??? A thriving powerhouse of a Country, wealth evenly spread throughout the population? One where the biggest problem would be controlling its borders to stem the flow of immigrants.??? Nope, its falling birthrate is a testament to what its own Citizens think about it. There can be no worse condemnation of a Country, then when a 3rd of all pregnancy's end in abortion, and these are actual pregnancy's, and when you add in a falling birthrate, due to couples using contraceptives etc. you have it all in Putins Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Aggression?

Putin has fairly obviously had a lot of plastic surgery done and is pumped full of filler around his face. He is small in stature and walks almost with a limp, he walks like he's carrying around an invisible suitcase full of cash - wonder what gave me that idea. His face used to resemble that of a greyhound but now looks like that of a particularly ugly version of Lolo Ferrari, minus the hair and the boobs.

He is a deeply insecure individual on a basic human level, never mind the insecurity brought about by being a the leader of mafia regime he has raped his country to set up and perpetuate, resulting in him almost certainly being the richest man in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Well that's interesting isn't it... you've agreed that there may be some valid criticisms of the west, but you are suggesting that you would distance yourself from those particular stances because they tend to be part of a certain political movement.

But this says more about you than anything else. You're more interested in being seen to be on the correct team in life, rather than having the courage of your own convictions. So yes, you have just confirmed that you are exactly the beast I predicted. You care more about being popular, than you do about thinking for yourself.

This mentality, in a nutshell, is what's killing our political systems in the west. And quite a lot of other things too.

And you're also very lazily trying to lump me into the same nice neat little box too. Because you've picked a team yourself, in your own head everyone else must be on a team too! It's lowest common denominator stuff really. 😂

But anyway... back to the topic at hand.

Is the system in the US. so different to that in Russia.

To become president in either country you need the support of a tiny minority of billionaires.

Both the US and Russia can be considered oligarchies.

In 2007 he was already worth 40 billion dollars. Thinking about how much he has amassed in the years since is mind boggling.

You don't buy yachts worth 100 million dollars and a massive palace overlooking the Black Sea on the nominal salary of a Russian leader.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/dec/21/russia.topstories3

He's definitely had a few different looks he's a real Katie price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fallout2022

German intelligence has discovered that Russia has moved their strategic arrow stockpile to the Ukrainian border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

If this was to happen. An invasion would happen very quickly. Right now, no real emergency to do this. The US needs to stop the Russiaphobia headlines it's providing to journalists and the media. We forget the big picture Russia is a nuclear superpower. We have to accept got genuine security concerns and ignoring what they have to say can potentially trigger WW3. All bets are on if Russia takes all of Ukraine, i wouldnt bet against a military clash between Russia and Nato after that.

How do Members of Congress get so wealthy? How did Biden's son end up on the board of a Ukranian energy company? Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck, socially-conscious healthcare is a long way off, college costs an absolute fortune. A tiny fraction hold most of the wealth. Blackrock and other companies are going around buying up 100s of properties at a time, just as they doing in Ireland.

Russian/American gangsterism in particular is not the issue. It is a given.

The issue is that a tiny fraction of the world's population hold most of the wealth and poilitical/military power. On the wealth side, we can debate fairness and limits on ownership. The power aspect is more dangerous, especially when there are large militaries ready and waiting for instructions. These centers of power are a threat to us all and (it is often forgotten) to their own people.

American F35s and crews arrived in Germany today , after F15s arrived in Poland this week along with aircraft from Nato arriving in elsewhere in eastern Europe ,

And to think it's been claimed on here American ran away 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭MFPM

I've no idea - I'm neither a Putin fan or expert. Imperial leaders have used othering language since time immemorial...Africa, the Caribbean, Ireland....look at the language of BoJo around Muslims..

That Putin quote is debated as to whether that's exactly what he said, it's been the subject of some fact checking and it seems some meaning has been a bit lost in translation. The version you're posting I believe is attributed to that psychotic war mongerer and US imperial warlord in John Bolton and I take nothing he says as verbatim. Putin was primarily talking about Russia's loss of stature.

The speech he gave in 2020 didn't seem to 'minimise' the holocost but as I say I'm no expert although sharing a platform with the corrupt mass murderer and good friend of US imperialism Netanyahu is not a good look!

So was the invasion of Poland but you didn't pull that poster up....

The 'truth' still searching for the 'truth' but while searching is content to post lies....

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

There would be no "russophobia" at all if the Russians didn't randomly decide to mass there troops in an aggressive posture on the boarder of a nation thats of no threat to them.

If they do take Ukraine i sincerely hope there is a full force response from NATO otherwise it is redundant as an organization if the likes of Russia can just take over independent nations on a whim. Regardless of what Russia threatens the rest of the world cant be held hostage by there threats and allow them to invade who they like.

What security concerns? As if nato gives a **** about russia how would they even justify attacking it? the security stuff is just an excuse no nation would want to attack russia for no reason.

The US system is fucked up for the exact opposite reason to Russia - there is too much "freedom" - ie. an almost total lack of oversight and regulation in the political and media spheres. This leads to the rich accumulating vast amounts of wealth and controlling the political and media environments through propaganda and disinformation, mainly for the benefit of the cult like Republican party, who have absolute fealty to the richest and the most powerful.

But a terrible president can still just about be voted out, thankfully, as we saw 15 months ago. You can't do that in Russia. If you want to oppose Putin, inside or outside Russia, expect to end up dead.

Anyway, the deeply flawed US system has no relevance to Ukraine. Ukrainians just want to live in peace in a decent society. Russia doesn't want to let them. Russia wants to bring the jackboot down again on their neighbour.

And that is what all this is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You lumped yourself in that box with what you post, if it quacks like a duck. Likely on firmer ground thinking that about your politics, than you are with assumptions about my own beliefs and mindset.

I am certain those political movements we're speaking of are not going to achieve anything good (well apart from for the people who lead them and attach themselves to them, they will profit if they get power of course). Think the evidence has been clear in the countries where they got a bit of political power (US/UK). Putin is very confident they will send everything down the toilet. That's why he has supported them.

To go back to topic somewhat...as for these problems of the West in 2022, well Russia seems to have a few more serious ones, as described in many posts above. That is what Putin's tenure wrought. Collapse of Soviet Union and decisions of Gorbachev and Yeltsin + policy of the US/West towards Soviet Union back then are all receding into the past (a generation ago now). The fairly bad state of Russia then (and also the total mess made of relationship with neighbour Ukraine) has to be laid at the door of Putin's leadership. I said I'd take the limp wristed (Irish?) bureaucrats over Putin's track record, I'll have the stuffed shirts also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement