Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Re the intentions of new ‘leader’ post Putin . SpShe/ he can adapt three main approaches ie

(1) get even more aggressive including using nukes, gas, chemicals

(2) continues with the Putin approach

(3) end aggression at very first opportunity . Would have plenty of reasons for doing so . Eg blame Putin for what has happened;. New leader realises that it makes more sense to have a good relationship with the west - may take some time but one has to start somewhere; New leader realises that NATO has never invaded another soverign state - its into defence of members being attacked - but Russia is the only state that is into nakedly grabbing land eg Georgia, Moldavia and now attempting it in Ukraine.

SO WE WILL HAVETOWAIT ANd SEE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

Looks like the battle of Kharkiv could be over soon. That would be a huge victory and free up troops for other offensives in the Donbas region. A total collapse of Russian military forces in Ukraine could happen suddenly at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

You should know by now that PUTIN would do anything to protect his jewels. It’s a special blanket for special occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Separatists/reservists being sent to fight the Ukrainans with WW2 era bolt action rifles ,not Aks or something similar mosin nagant bolt actions ,it was a great rifle at the time,but been sent to fight against Ukrainians with modern weapons with optics and drone they are essentially cannon fodder

It's likely Crimea was purged of those with demonstrable loyalty to Ukraine. But, the more I think of it Ukraine may get Crimea back.

1. There is no realistic conceivable way Russia can win this (I'm ruling out nuclear attacks, although that would also lead to the Russian empire's eventual downfall)

2. Those living in Crimea must be seeing a significant downturn in their living conditions. A Western oriented/backed Ukraine must look attractive.

3. Crimea has strategic importance, especially territorial waters.

If continued backing from the West, I can see Crimea returning to Ukraine.

Russia is at its strongest today, weaker than yesterday, and only getting weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Well if you took the time to think before your knee hit your face, maybe it happens to fast who knows, you perhaps would realise the “ joke” has two points.

1. During the rally stunt in stadium before the invasion, or early into it I can’t recall. He wore a $10,000 designer jacket, which in itself proved that he is far removed from regular Russians and doesn’t care about what’s best for them.
    2. Speculation regarding Putins health has been going round for years and maybe there true I don’t know but then rumours also suggest that ivermectin is a cure for covid. If someone could be diagnosed with cancer just by looking at them on a TV screen then people wouldn’t have get CT scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Regarding the "blanket". I watched an interview where they pointed out that all the army generals, on the podium were given raincoats & most wore them. Putin put his on his lap.

Ukraine's military intelligence chief has given a very positive interview. War over by the end of the year, Putin replaced & all territory including Crimea restored.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-military-intelligence-chief-optimistic-of-russian-defeat-saying-war-will-be-over-by-end-of-year-12612320

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

It's nice and clear, but doesn't allow comparison between NATO borders and non NATO borders with respect to ratio.

Wait up, IF cancer could be diagnosed on the telly, a follow up CT scan might still be advisable to determine location and type. The telly diagnosis might just be a yes/no diagnosis with no indication of how to begin treatment.

In fact, people HAVE been diagnosed with cancer due to TV appearances, there's a well known UK case. A viewer noticed a characteristically shaped swelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

The Russian had another go over Bilohorivka bridge.

We are now up to 82 vehicle losses. With lord knows how many dead Solders.

It now features a new Turret Water Feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It seems like there are less Russian troops in Ukraine at this stage. Or at least they are not on the front lines. It seems mostly people conscripted from Luhansk and Donetsk.

The great Russian withdrawal from Kyiv to launch a new offensive in the East, seems to have been a dud. They just threw a bunch of untrained conscipts at it.

Russia also have the problem of that they put in a bunch of kids on their 1 year military service. Day by Day those 1 year contracts are expiring. Nearly 3 months in, that's a quarter. And folks who will be drafted to military service are going through every loophole not do their military service this year.

If the Ukrainian figures are remotely accurate, 20k+ dead, but it will be multiples wounded/injured and unable to go back.

I reckon they are running out of numbers.

Ah yeah, but it still serves to counter the well-used Russian approach of "this is so unfair, NATO are continuing to encroach upon us"

I appreciate that the representation of features on a quite spherical surface presents issues when imaging on a flat surface

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

This is just....wow!

The soviets tried to supress the church but these guys because they have no ideals at all could do something utterly genius: they made a prostitute out of it instead. Literal kgb men become priests and took other over and hey presto you've a ready made propaganda monster.

With outposts all over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Detailed thread on just how bad that bridge crossing attempt was, and how much it could set RuSSia back: https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1525252736757153792

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Russian losses.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Dont want to arm the troops on the frontline properly. They may revolt and fight the better armed 2nd line troops successfully. If they attempt to surrender or defect the 2nd line troops will be able to gun them down easily. Their purpose is to blunten any Ukranian attack, effectively acting as a meat shield for the more valuable regular russian soldiers. Its so 1941

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldnt count it out. However big a win depleting the Russian army is for the US, decimating their ability to exert naval influence in the Black Sea, med and East Africa would be a complete cherry on top. Theres no way the peninsula can hold out in isolation. Every military structure would be destroyed within a week before a massive tank offensive.

If the land bridge is taken back Crimea is as good a Ukrainian again.

For anyone still counting it's Day 80 of the Russian invasion of Ukraine ,and Ukraine are still in control of the majority of the country ,

Not bad considering the 72 prediction for the fall of Kiev

Depending on how things pan out I'd like to see Ukraine (towards the end, if things are winding down) just unleash whatever they have on Crimea. Most likely it'll be controlled by Russia (**** 'em) and either way it's just a land of traitors and collaborators. It's a pity Ukraine didn't have weapons in 2014, just do a Mariupol on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

1,500 dead makes zero sense for any number of reasons:

1. Many vehicles were filmed abandoned and undamaged before they were eventually damaged/destroyed by Ukraine.
    2. There are literally no images of bodies.
    3. All signs point to a maximum of two BTGs being involved; and only the manoeuvre, tank, and engineering sections are shown. Nowhere near 1,500 personnel even if they were fully staffed.
    4. Ukrainian MoD only claimed about 150-200 personnel lost above the typical daily median count of about 200 on the day of the crossing.

I mean 150 dead in a single engagement is already a very significant loss; I have no clue why you and others feel the need to echo nonsensical numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

More drone footage. I thought it was Ukrainian at first with the blue fabric.

But the comments are coming these were Russian soldiers. If it's trenches then it's possible it's the front line established by the Russians in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

they're hardly going to call it the MEGAFRY5000

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's even a painting, by Rembrandt IIRC, a nude of his mistress and oncologists have spotted a lump which was probably cancer. The records show she died a year or so after the painting was finished at quite a young age.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why bother everything is a silly school yard argument ,

Everyone including experts say one thing and you come along and say no .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You don't need to go far north to see such things. It happens on a regular basis in Poland. Authoritarian regimes appeal to the most backward masses in a society.

When it was a dispute with Chechia about Turow power plant they did this:

"The Immaculate Heart of Mary, Queen of Poland, spread your power over your factory, the Turów power plant. Let him develop, with your inspiration and intercession, for the glory of God, the Church and the homeland ”- this is how the director of the Turów power plant entrusted his workplace at Jasna Góra.

And all high political officials from the region took part in it as well.

Very interesting stuff, you're definitely invited to my table for the next quiz !!!

Doubt the footage is from 2014 , we've seen Russian trenches from Mariupol to Chernobyl along with the 3d printed munitions currently being used by Ukrainians to great effect,

Soldiers might still be alive if they didn't run

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Worry about Erdogan before you start ranting about the Greeks or anyone else

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement