Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

THE Ukrainian army will not be encircled. Don't get too giddy. A section of it might, but as Russia is the Spurs of world armies, good chance Russia will fůck it up and I wouldn't bet on it happening or lasting long if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Remember Putin is at war with the entire west. He is militarily attacking Ukraine at the moment but he is at war with every single one of us. Every time you pull up at a Fuel pump or pay an electricity bill or buy food you are paying more because of Putin and it’s his full intention to make sure you pay more and more. And it is his full intention to stay going until he wipes all people like us off the face of the earth so either Ukraine are winning or Putin is getting closer to us and tightening the screw. It’s not going to just drop out of the news. People may lose interest but the existential threat will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes I think this is a very real risk, however Russia also doesn't have an infinite supply of soldiers and equipment unless they force all men into the army and that brings other risks. So it's hard to know who a long war favours/harms more. Unfortunately it looks like we are going to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

To encircle they must cross the river and we have seen what happened when they tried to construct the pontoon bridge to cross.

Yesterday they blew a bridge that would help achieve an encirclement and then they lost the heavy mortar vehicle that was used to blow it!!.Crazy moves from the russians.

That live shelling, this is where we are RIGHT NOW... you'd hope... would only be better if the journalist was still around when it went BOOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,961 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The likes of Germany and France hinting at a ceasefire, and an agreement to give up land to Russian, Ukraine having none of it.

IF a ceasefire is agreed, IF Ukraine gives up land

THEN IS MUST INCLUDE FULL NATO MEMBERSHIP AND FULL EU MEMBERSHIP!

No way can Ukraine agree a deal, just to allow Russian to get established and to rearm and attack a year later, it's bullsh it! Any deal must include Nato and EU deal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

IMO I think that the following is what the RU invasion is all about:-

Overall, Putin/Ru leadership wants to create as much social cum financial hardship;confusion; mis information; conflict , etc , as it can throughout the world as it can on an ongoing basis and AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY. It does not really matter which side wins in any conflict, in elections, in negotiations or wherever as long as it creates decision, conflict , suspicion, etc, etc.

• the overall objective is to weaken the ‘opposition’ as he sees it
    • Putin pounces when an opportunity presents itself - he having set it up beforehand by putting ‘ his supporters’into the area . Eg Donbas, part of Georgia, part of Transnistra, Chrimea.
    • As an aside the last time ‘ RUSSIA/USSR lost or gained ‘ soverign land’ or under threat - WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN PUTINS BIG AND ONLY ISSUE- is in 1991 when the USSR unilaterally. Decided to split up into 14 ‘independant ‘ states. Russia has not been attacked since Putin came to power or since then . BUT he has GAINED land as described above. And in addition to that RUssia is in ‘ control of a number ox ex states eg Belaruse
    • - iMO, Putin is not too pushed if he eventually has to vacate Ukraine - including Crimea. Why? Because:-
    • (q) he will have substantially lLEVELLED a significant part of UKR. Including significant infrastructure re steel mil , port facilities , roads , railways, etc, etc, etc. and the cost of rebuilding all of that and the strain that will put on international finances
    • (b) the number of deaths and the way that they were carried out and the psychological effect that will have.
    • (c) the actual experience of the war and especially on those trying to survive in bomb shelters And the psychological effect that will have
    • (d) the whole refugee situation and the cost / disruption that will have on host nations and on Ukr.
    • (E)the international issue with regards to the possibility of famine in up to 20 countries and the extra financial cost to some of them
    • (f) the disruption of international trade and the extra cost of same

And , well and good if he successfully annex’s part of UKR that he has levelled , in addition to the above, he can leave it ‘ grow weeds ‘ for all he cares , . He will put in his army and populate with Kremlin supporting civilians - and probably financially enticed ones

so the idea of Putin blaming The expansion of NATO for all of this is ABSOLUTE NONSENCE.

pits all about exercising a certain type of power ie. Authoritianism and resetting the clock back to the USSR era. As he said recently the greatest geopolitical mistake made on an international level by any country ever was the break up of the USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think it's possible that they wanted Russia to invade but obviously they cannot say that openly. It's a great graveyard for the Russian military and a pr win for the Americans.

I wonder what’s their thinking? IMO, it is sticking out by the proverbial mile what Germany and France are at. Given their stance since feb 24 They will be first out of the traps to get back to business as usual with RU. 46241. And they will get very favourable terms . I hope the US has the total opposite point of view.

Given the points I made in post no46241 above Russia MUST BE NEUTERED so that it can never threaten any soverign state again in any shape or form. But let it do what it wants to within its own boundaries. Neutering would also include putting an end to cyber attacks. George Orwell would agree with this - based on his last utterances and NHS’s 1984 novel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

Putin hasn't and probably won't achieve his goals in Ukraine but he has achieved possibly a greater goal in opening fissures in the EU which I don't know will ever heal.

France and Germany have proven themselves to be totally unreliable and self interested partners.

The Eastern block won't have any faith in them going forward and after our experience of the crash, we should be wary of them too. Both countries get a pretty free ride within the EU from a criticism viewpoint but that really needs to change. They both benefit from being large countries right at the heart of the Union but they're not happy having that advantage. They also want to minimise any advantages more peripheral countries eek out for themselves.

The smaller countries need to start sewing it to these two and the situation in Ukraine is the first item they need to be called out on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would disagree that the invasion has damaged the EU. Yes, there has been a difference in emphasis in reactions between Germany and France and other nations to the invasion, but it is far from a schism and there haven't been big public rows over it. Saying that it has led to big divisions in the EU would be hugely overstating the issue - apparently recent emergency EU summits on Ukraine went off reasonably well and without major rancour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If by fissures you mean that the France and Germanys interests tend to dictate the EU decisions, then yes, they won't ever heal because they have been there since the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia has not changed that much, it is a softer and much more open society than under Communism but that's not saying much.

That was my point, the smaller countries are reluctant to criticise either of them regardless of how far off the European script they stray. I think its pretty obvious that the official EU stance and those voiced by France and Germany are not compatible and quite contrary. They may say once thing at the meetings with their EU hats on but their position on a personal level are very different.

Yes and they need to be challenged. The EU is far more than Germany and France in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The war has been a bit of a disaster nfro showcasing Russian arms. Well made point in the article about the potential pr catastrophe losing a SU-57 would be. Given the known issues it has with its engines and questions about it's overall stealthiness, it makes sense they haven't employed it.

I'd love to see more details on Russian tactics re: bomber employment. It seems wholly amateurish in comparison to the strike packages NATO / US would employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

With Britain gone it has never been more than for Germany and France. There is literally no one left to challenge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I know when the war ends whenever it does what way will this have on both countries populations. I mean Ukraine might go through a baby boom afterwards if they win the war but in regards to Russia will them mean a bigger population decrease in regards people killed but as well as that there might not be a population increase afterwards especially if they loose this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One wonders if we'll see more of this in Russia this summer as the war drags on. There have been a few similar incidents to this reported this week and shown on social media. The regime was surely never planning for a long, drawn out war on its borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Oh aye, the only counter balance to Germany and Francle leaving certainly cracked over that fissure.😂

Note with interest that the EU quietly climbed down on allowing members to pay in roubles for gas. Just like Germany wanted.

The reality is that if it had been up to the EU, Ukraine would have fallen no matter how hard they fought, because France and Germany would have preferred that. Its the UK and the US thats' kept the Russians at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

German company steps up.... We've seen this numerous times before but then Scholz blocks the export.

The small detail of when it will happen doesn't seem to feature. Germany have dropped massively in my estimation as a result of their response to this war. Never thought much of France to start with but I thought Germany had a bit more about them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Except that had Ukraine fallen, that might only be the beginning of it... I think that now all of the EU are aware of the threat that Russia Poses, and not only the EU, but the whole world. No, Putin has overstepped the mark, and its ripples are spreading throughout the world. He will need to be stopped, and de-fanged at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Or an ever increasing Nr of their soldiers arriving ( or not) home in body bags....

I would suggest that any apparent fissure within the EU can only be massively counterbalanced by Finlands ans

d Swedens application re NATO - although behind the scenes the hopeful fissure caused by Putin will bring him some joy and the NATO thing is just a smokescreen that he pulls out of the hat when he is looking for an excuse to invade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

But they don't arrive in Moscow. And Moscow puts out the information. And all remains well.

• Advertisement

This means Absolutly nothing until this equipment is on Ukraine soil and the UKr army is trained to operate all of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement