Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

He looks like 1990s Fred Durst and is about as intimidating. Gobshoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kadyrov's an absolute plike. More front than Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"Not that I would expect the Russians to mention it, but theres no indication that people are being taken against their will or separated based on perceived ethnicity"

Holy mother of dodge. Do you actually read what you write or is that simply a random exercise with a keyboard?

You say:

"The idea that they are ethnically cleansing Ukraine and then leaving subtle hints about it in state run media like "evacuating" people rather than writing "X million people left Ukraine for Russia", its absurd."

From that logic, I take it that you reckon the Russians saying the following is not absurd?

"This is not war - this is special operation in Ukraine"

And also

"This is not ethnic cleansing- this is evacuating civilians to Mother Russia for their own good "

So just like where the Russians and Nazis denied the ethnic cleansing of Poland following their brutal invasion of that country during WW2, we can rest assured that once again, that the current brutal invasion, the systematic bombing of Ukrainian villages, towns and cities and the targeting of civilians and the "evacuation" of Ukrainians to Russia is likely not ethnic cleansing.

Good to know that we should not use our own eyes, ears and intelligence but listen to what the Russians are telling us instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Moment of confusion there for me, as I live in Blackpool ... the one in Cork city, that is! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobody is moved by such claims, it's just a crass attempt to exploit the Zelensky comment about diplomacy ending this. Nothing has changed so he won't get his peace talks, the conditions for which are a return to pre-war borders. He really wants to get sanctions reversed, a matter of urgency now that Russia is heading for a GDP collapse of at least 12% this year. As for the Poles, they are not the coolest heads when it comes to Russia and they do say quite a lot at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The longer this war drags on, the less the general public will be engaged......

Tinkers fighting in the airport seems to be more interesting to them....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

Andriy Melnyk published a meme about the supply of weapons to Ukraine from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Haha :D That’s gas (Excuse the pun…) but yeah that picture is worth a thousand words on the topic of German arms aid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Good to know that we should not use our own eyes, ears and intelligence but listen to what the Russians are telling us instead.

Can you point out where I said we should listen to what the Russians are saying?

My point was exactly the opposite - that whether Russians are or arent engaged in ethnic cleansing, Russian media reports will not give any clues. One poster mentioned the use of "evacuate" by TASS as some kind of subtle hint the Russians are ethnically cleansing Ukraine. If the Russians were doing that, why would they purposefully leave little hints like some kind of supervillain through the media? Its a nonsense argument

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Definitely getting tougher for the Ukrainians

A reminder of how vicious these things are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Search activity for Ukraine war.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Support for continuation of conflict is waning. Industrial and business leaders across Europe, particularly in Germany are not happy with the looming situation of this winter.

There is so much money at stake across EU, and the vast majority of people (sensibly) care about themselves, their families and businesses, not the conflict. I think we will see more and more pushback to arms supply by the general public of EU member states and a push to a diplomatic solution.

However a return to pre Feb borders seems petty unlikely and is an untenable negotiating position for Ukrainian leadership. I doubt that that strategy will receive much support behind closed doors.

Hopefully the shooting will dissolve into talking soon.

I read something a couple of weeks ago about the Russians doing the stirring, providing support but once the "separatists" "won power" they were replaced by the Russians. Ya'd think the dumb **** would have realised their mistake then.

Indeed, it's only natural, global interest will wane. The Ukrainians and Zelensky have been painfully aware of this also and making a monumental effort to keep themselves relevant. Sadly it's inevitable. The Russians are also aware of it and will use it to any advantage they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

And Russia fundamentally is its own people. The longer this goes on and looking back at history, the more undeniable that this is Russian people doing this to Ukrainian and Russian people. People can talk about oligarchs, people at the top, FSB, police state as long as they want. These are all still Russian people. They've had enough revolutions and changes of power to move away from this medieval style of government. Despite all their protestations and attempts to mask, they remain nekulturny.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

The attack to surround Severodonetsk has changed again.Russian forces reached the main road into Severodonetsk but as it's very open country,they were hit with Artillery.There is no where to hide in open country so you must keep moving.

Russian can't move north yet so now they are moving south to the Bakhmut so the attack has been changed again back to a bigger encirclement.Bakhmut is strongly defended.

This may be true if you assume nothing is being done. They have all summer to boost gas storage and to begin to move onto alternative oil suppliers. War is a poor topic for social media where topics change by the hour, and thus way beyond the limit of most concentration spans. It's also very easy to get sucked into the Today at the war line that some media are pushing. Since their withdrawal from around Kyiv the war has been fairly predictable - Russia attacks and Ukraine defends, lots of buildings get destroyed and people die but no obvious changes. Stalemate or a Ukrainian victory now seem to be general thinking and commentary but sanctions will remain, most likely for the rest of the year at least. Like the war itself the effect of that will be a very slow drip.

• Advertisement

You've just rubbished your reputation in one brief paragraph. Read up on Comrade Stalin.

It's surprising the number of people that don't realise the extent of the horrors of what Stalin did to the Russian people (aided, obviously, by other Russians). I've found the people to spout this are usually of the 'Hello Comrade' type, which I'd the misfortune of briefly corresponding with for a few months recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

When you spend so much time spiritually on the front line, it can be hard to separate out what is likely to happen over what people say on a daily basis. Even Zelenskiy has his own PR/propaganda machine. In the main it is one that we agree with and support but it's equally important not to get sucked into that either as it serves his own purpose.

Not sure why you seem to have gone from pro-EU to anti-EU in such a short period unless you were already there anyway. Yes, we do know what the EU is, it's a body of consensus, a body constantly trying to get 27 different voices on the same page but they can rest assured that they will not be invaded to get their agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it's useful to remember the reasons WW I ended, given that it went on longer than expected, was largely static given the timescales involved and Germany was never invaded. Although it was on a different scale, there are parallels, and it was ultimately a multitude of reasons that brought about final surrender. Important to also note that there were growing objections to the war on both sides as it dragged on.

It might be similar in the Donbas with a frontline that moves relatively little and instead becomes a logistical war of attrition. All will depend I think on the economic blockade of Russia. As long as that remains, an end is possible. If not, then we could be looking at a Kashmir type conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

Tim , you probably not aware of it but your contributions here are classical examples of what Putinists want to put out there for public consumption . You may not deny , for example that UKranians are moving/ have been moved to Russia or to parts of Ukr under Russian control but the words you use to ‘explain ‘ it are all about ‘whataboutary’; ‘obstrucating’; ‘ one the one hand and on the other hand’ ; ‘ give a range of explainations’, etc, etc. The whole objective of this strategy is to sow confusion, create conflict, create division, etc , so that nobody knows where the truth lies and the good old authoritarian regime will provide certainty for you and mind you - as the best and safest option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

The west has been demasked; they are mainly cowards. If Putin nukes I'll have no pity on the cnuts.

Now is exactly the right time to hit them hard: https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1529584132728270849?s=20&t=0TaZM48_arVtvGeBEck5Dg

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes. There is a lot at stake here.

It is interesting for me the countries that are willing to condemn Russia [a subset of which are also trying to ensure Russia doesn't gain from this/get what they want despite the costs/risks] and the powerful countries that are giving rhetorical support to Russia, or are saying and doing nothing & just standing watching with interest, and perhaps looking to profit.

The former is the West who are invested in the current (limited and flawed) amount of global rules, international law etc. that they built where conquests and gencoides of "undesirable" soverign neighbours are supposed to be verboten since end of WW2, and also most of the small to mid sized countries around the world.

The latter is giant non Western "countries" (more like empires in a way) with vast land areas, resources, and populations such as China, India, (maybe Turkey too?) who think they will be holding the whip hand in 21st Century, and might like a law of the jungle world where it's normalised that a big power can just invade and genocide some smaller weaker neighbour that is giving them trouble or has something they want to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Jesus but Putin is wayyyy too paranoid to meet his own soldiers in any hospital... they would clubber him over the head and he knows it. Body doubles are the only thing the Krummey'len [kremlin] will send to any hospital.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

intersting that a week after talk of preventing the humiliation of Russia by Macron etc that Russia start making gains.

I wonder does Macron still hold those views? Maybe he feels better now and can relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For the mechanical brutality Nazi Germany wins in terms of savagery.

In terms of sheer numbers it is dwarfed by its older brother Communist Russia.

Who was dwarfed in the murder scale by Communist China, in terms of mass killing as a % of a country that would be Communist Cambodia.

Communism beat fascism because there was no level of murder and brutality it would not inflict on it's own or opponents. That helps win wars.

Communism has a much more ideological grounding than Fascism. It needs it to justify what it does and that messianic belief helps drive the savagery, as many believe that they are fighting for the greater good and everything is justified.

Communism should have been treated as just a more effective cousin of Nazism and any adherent of it in modern society shunned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement