Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

NATO as a group have stated they won't be supplying arms to Ukraine. I don't think NATO have supplied any arms yet. However NATO members are free to and have already being supplying arms to Ukraine.

Poland a NATO member supplied Ukraine with tanks, they were Polish, not NATO tanks.

The US supplied US artillery, it wasn't NATO artillery etc...

The tweet seems to take the NATO statement outta context or something or he doesn't know the west is not NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree completely, both sides are losing a lot of everything. At the beginning, things looked really bad for Ukraine. In April things looked better. Now it looks bad again. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, relentless death and suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes but how

Because so far it hasn't been going great for them - as they are still slowly losing territory, even with all the weapons shipments to date. Unless the Russian army totally exhausts itself and collapses its hard to see how the Ukrainians can win back Kherson Luhansk or Donetsk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Not Ukraine, I'm talking about a hardcore group of posters on this thread. Ukraine has long been saying it's going to be a slog. These are dark days but hopefully not setting the tone for the entire summer. A lot clearly depends on outside forces, the people supplying weapons to Ukraine are inevitably going to shape conditions for peace and there is a palpable shift in mood towards some kind of messy compromise, much like here a century ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Iran has been sanctioned for decades and it has a ton of oil. Likewise Venezuela.

It's not a question of cheap oil/gas, it's down to the fact that Putin can hold countries hostage. The Germans mistakenly thought that enough trade with Russia would render war with Europe unfeasible for Moscow, they got it wrong. Now the Germans, and many others, can never revert to being energy reliant on Putin's Russia.

• Advertisement

Why do refer to it then?I wouldnt trust anything coming out of TASS,regardless

Under the circumstances of the new media regulation enforced by the Russian government, which is heavily restricting media freedom", the European Alliance of News Agencies (EANA) unanimously decided to suspend TASS as "not being able to provide unbiased news", pending an exclusion decision.

• TASS claimed that Zelenskyy fled Kyiv following the invasion and also that he had surrendered. Zelenskyy used social media to post statements, videos and photos to counter the Russian disinformation.
    • TASS made unsubstantiated claims that Ukraine is making a nuclear dirty bomb.
    • In March 2022 TASS published unsubstantiated claims that "Ukrainian nationalists" were responsible for Ukrainian civilians not being able to leave the city of Mariupol while the city was besieged and bombed by the Russian military

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

Also to add to your list, France have sent 12 Caesar truck-mounted Holitzers and gifting several tens of thousands of shells and Milan anti-tank missiles.

Denmark are sending Harpoon Anti-ship missiles.

Canada announced yesterday they are sending 20000 artillery shells

• Ukraine wouldnt be able to pull off an attack of that scale, would need alot of training, coordination with troops, and lots of artillery. Ukraine are still lacking in equipment, and having more troops isnt necessarily better if you dont have the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ukraine's head of military intelligence says the war with Russia is going so well, that it will reach a turning point by mid-August and be over by the end of the year.

It is the most precise and optimistic prediction by a senior Ukrainian official so far.

Ukraine war: Military intelligence chief 'optimistic' of Russian defeat saying war 'will be over by end of year' | World News | Sky News

So, not just posters. But anyway.

Myself, I would liked to have believed him at the time. But it's like a boxer predicting the round of the knockout. Great to see the confidence but needs to be taken with a dollop of salt. That said I'd still be more inclined to take what comes from the Ukrainian side more seriously than the nonsense out of Russia. An example is the taking of territory. If Russia touches a village they quickly declare it conquered (take Mariupol as a glaring example). The Ukrainians may not announce a successful liberation until days after the fact.

This interview was before Russia started to get their sh1t together too. I'd love to hear his take now. They've learned from the first couple of phases of the invasion. Taking Popansa was literally by grinding it to dust and throwing man after man into the fire until the bodies piled high enough that they could walk over it. Not a lot new or innovative there.

But in areas around Lyman and Severedonestk they seem to have managed a few tactical manoeuvres with more than 2 BTGs, a feat that they couldn't managed in the earlier stages of the invasion. They may be benefiting more from air support in the East too than is being reported. I don't know. So I look to the South to see evidence of anything other than a stalemate emerging there and so far it's pointing to a long protracted conflict unfortunately. I'm hoping that we see a massive counteroffensive soon from Ukraine, particularly in the South. Kharkiv would have given them them a morale boost but they need more small (or large gains) to maintain that morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

I think when Severodonetsk is resolved it will largely come down to political factors and how quickly the west wants to end the war.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This is happening right now!An army is being trained for this offensive.You won't hear much from Ukraine about but it will be seen in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wouldn't Russia just vent or flare the gas instead of shutting the wells?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They almost got caught this last mild winter due to low levels of gas storage. That will not happen next winter and the longer it goes on the less leverage they will have on energy along with far less money. Year end is where the EU is proposing starting to cut off the oil flow.

Is this just a fanciful idea in your head or is there any actual real world evidence anywhere?

I didnt bring up TASS, someone else did and tried to use TASS's use of the word 'evacuate' as proof of ethnic cleansing.

The standard line in any deal is Putin back to where he was pre February and the US wants Russia weakened so they'll be in no great rush on this at all. There will no lifting of sanctions this year, especially as the world adapts to them being in place and continues to find solutions to the issues they cause. As has been stated since Day 1 Russia is finished as a country until they stop outdoing North Korea in news and preferably when Putin and his clique have gone.

If they have that much in reserve and equipped then why hold it back and let your troops on frontline be captured or killed along with equipment?

Why let the Russians take Severodonetsk and other cities in the first place if they have the means to take it back from them?

April 29th so lots of training since then.

"US Army Europe and Africa Command will organize this training in coordination with the government of the Federal Republic of Germany, and we're grateful, of course, for Germany's continued support," he said.

Germany was the only one of three training sites in Europe and outside Ukraine that he would disclose. The training, he added, includes the radar systems, artillery, and armored vehicles that are part of the latest rounds of US security assistance to Ukraine.

The idea of allowing the Russians to gain ground rapidly (too quickly even) has been well discussed at this stage. Particularly with the earlier salients. Of course there's ground they don't want to give up at all but don't assume some is not tactical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

T-80BV tanks are being loaded into echelons in Naro-Fominsk in Moscow region

-From Russia with love

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

If the US decide that they want the Russians thoroughly defeated then there likely will be some type of large summer offensive planned. The Russians have shown their hand. They are demoralised, lacking in equipment and leadership. I think some people here are seeing minor recent gains by Russia and forgetting how the war is truly going for them. Russia do not have a modern army and are in danger of complete collapse if enough pressure is put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Because Severodonetsk is a strategic river crossing point, which is on the Russian side of the river .... The bridges have been blown or are under Russian control, and the river isn't easily crossed with temporary measures....

Holding it, means trying to do so while at a huge logistical handicap due to terrain, where the situation could turn into another Marioupul .... it makes sense to tactically retreat if they haven't the man power in place to take on hold the remaining bridge crossings, and hold off the Russian advance with artillery and stop them from crossing the river in large numbers

Dunno, but it's well known Ukraine has around 200k professional troops + national guard (more likely to be close to 300k) and close to a million reservists. Not sure how much they want to sacrifice for this meat-grinder in LNR and DNR, and have read Ukrainians favor quality over quantity when it comes to troops, so I am not sure how keen they are to toss newly trained soldiers into that cauldron. Time is not really on either side, but Russia is on much more of a clock since it hasn't mobilised for war and many troops are on contract. Keep in mind Ukraine has to keep troops everywhere, on all the borders, key cities, airports, whereas Russia only has to focus on the frontlines.

This touches on one of my points in my long winded post above. While the Ukrainians like to sound bullish they are not announcing everything they are planning to the world. And why would they. Talk bullish but say nothing of what you're planning on doing.

Op-sec also seems to be adhered to a little more vigilantly on their side than the Russians too IMO. It leaves me hopeful but only hopeful. I'm not convinced anything other than a long drawn out war is what we're facing into but still hopeful I'm wrong.

Well soldiers surrender and civilians evacuate,somehow TASS made their own version of misinformation that they are best at making it sound like evacuate.

And evacuate to Russian filtration camps and gulags in Siberia is a form of ethnic cleansing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Overall, things look far better for Ukraine's territorial integrity than they did at the start of the war, considering that the popular prediction at the time was that Kyiv would fall within a couple of weeks of Russia's full-on incursion. In the Donbas, specifically, though, yes, it's currently quite a grim picture, but it's a hell of a slow grind west for the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

You can't "stop" Russia, if you have a frontline or a city they are attacking with a large force, they'll just level it with artillery and everything and everyone there. Eventually they'll take what's left of Sievierodonetsk, but at high cost and they'll be worn down. So far Ukraine hasn't really had the capability for counter-attacks (other than retaking vacated territory). If Russia advances too far (like they did before), then they can be picked off. But it would be pretty silly for Ukraine to start a big all-out counter-attack now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I think the problem is the types of weapons they are getting. Stingers and javelins were well and good when the battle was more stretched and they needed mobility. And even the M777 can only do so much when they are out ranged by missiles and MLRS. The inability or lack of will to supply the weapons they need to turn this fight around is what is leading to the lists wet see now.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement