Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I still remember the collective aneurysm NATO had when news vor the helmet-mounted display broke in the early 1990s. Whilst South Africa and Israel had experimented with such a system, no nation had fielded a system for large scale deployment in a front line fighter, especially no one in NATO. The US only began introducing their first helmet mounted display system in 2003, the same time the Eurofighter Typhoon, which had been designed with a helmet mounted display system from the start, began to enter service.

For those who don’t know what the big deal is, here’s a quick rundown. Traditionally, the gunsights of a fighter were mounted pointing forward on top of the instrument panel. Over the decades, this evolved from simple metal rings, to reflex sights, where a light was projected onto a glass surface, usually in a ring shape, to the full-blown heads-up displays that we see in aircraft like the F-16. Whilst pilots could now see all the information they needed to fly (altitude, speed, attitude, engine settings, waypoint, weapons, targeting info & sights) without having to look down at their instruments, this display was still fixed facing forward.

By having a helmet mounted display, the pilot now has this information in his field of view wherever he is looking, which makes it easier to keep their eyes on enemy aircraft in a dogfight. More importantly, he is also able to lock onto a target and fire that way, which is a major advantage over “conventional” cockpits. Just imagine looking over your shoulder, spotting a hostile aircraft that is trying to get in behind you, and being able to lock on and fire one of your missiles right then and there, without having to pull into a hard turn to point your nose at said enemy aircraft. Crucially, I’m not sure if the Su-35 is equipped with, or even for, a helmet mounted display system.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This conflict has been an intelligence bonanza for the the US and NATO. Getting to test systems against Russian peer equivalent platforms, with little risk. I'd expect quite a few iterative improvements being fielded in short order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Also huge benefit to China. I’d say the Chinese military are having all sorts of interesting meetings and any consideration of invading Taiwan will be off the table for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Great Post. The F-35 ( currently on CAP over Romania) takes the principal one step further. External cameras plus a Helmet Mounted Display allows the pilot to "see through" the plane, giving the pilot 360 degree situational awareness.

A scrap between 4th Gen Russian and 5th Gen Western would be a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thoughts are that Kadyrov is an unobservant Muslim since he's obviously hard on the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

Statement from todays event

Today, on May 27, at about 2 pm in the skies of Kherson region, a MiG-29 fighter of the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down a Russian Su-35 fighter from the 23rd Fighter Regiment of the Eastern Military District of the Russian Federation.The Ukrainian MiG-29 covered a group of attack aircraft - Su-25 attack aircraft of the Air Force, which struck at enemy troops in the Kherson region. As a result of this air attack, a company-tactical group of occupiers with equipment and manpower was destroyed.

A Russian Su-35 fighter jet took off from Belbek airfield to intercept Ukrainian attack aircraft. In fact, he was met by a Ukrainian fighter…

The intercepted radio exchange indicates that the Russian pilot was ejected, and a characteristic explosion erupted near Kherson.In the Kharkiv region, servicemen of the 95th separate assault brigade from the Perun MANPADS shot down another combat helicopter of the Russian occupiers, the Ka-52 Alligator.And in the Donetsk direction the air defense of the Land Forces destroys another UAV "Orlan-10".

Post edited by shivaz on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A short thing. Those F-35s are more likely there pulling passive sensor information. 5th gen fighters would wipe the floor with what the Russians have, not even getting into comparative pilot proficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Putin gets ousted vs Zelensky ousted

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Probably more of an question of which will die first. Both have targets on their backs, and are working under incredible pressure, but Putin appears to be in much worse shape then Zelensky.

Zelensky is probably the easiest of the 2 to assassinate since he actually goes out in public (as opposed to Putin’s staged visits to his bodyguards in hospital while they pretend to be wounded soldiers). However Zelensky appears to enjoy a lot of genuine grassroots support at home compared to the hyperactive propaganda campaign the Russians have to use to drum up support.

It’s a hard one to call. i feel that Putin is in greater danger of being ousted from his position, and that Zelensky is in greater danger of being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

The problem with that is its not the poor people's consumption that's sinking this world. Its the rich.

It's been said that if everyone had the energy and resource usage of the average American the world could only support 1.5bn people. So killing off billions of Africans and Indians doesn't solve the problems.

• Advertisement

Artillery attack!

"For Ukrainians, Saturday begins with coffee and the words "good morning".The occupiers have shells from our artillery, which continues to clear Ukraine of their unwanted presence.The sponsor of the "good mood" of the enemy - 45 separate artillery brigade of the Armed Forces.Glory to Ukraine!"

Post edited by shivaz on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I haven’t heard it described as good as this yet :) perfect analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Reading a few reports of a lot of Ukrainian desertions and commanders the same in Donbass.

Hard to know what’s actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would these 'reports' be from telegram channels...

The notion their are Ukrainian commanders deserting their actual own land is idiotic.

Idi

Otic.

That is indeed true! The amount of data being passed to Ukranian forces must be incredible. Troop movements, triangulation of signal sources for targeting plus naval movements. (There was a US Navy P-3 Orion having a good look at the Black sea around Odessa/Snake Island last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

More evidence that D Trump would do nothing the help Ukraine. The world is lucky that Joe Biden is in the white house. Russia would be taking over half of Europe by now if the Republicans were still in charge of the US.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

It’s easy for Donald now playing hurling on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Beyond war...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Point of interest. This conflict has given the US an opportunity to test platforms in real-world scenarios. One of these platforms is the US Army's very unasuming Bombardier 650 which has been gathering Signals Intelligence over the last few weeks. It appears on FR as an ordinary bizjet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The longer this war lasts the less it is important to Ukraine and more to Russia. Zelenskyy's presence in Ukraine was crucial at the beginning of this war. Now the fight against Russia is established, so it will be continued, even in a case of something bad happening to him. In Russia it is exactly opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

More likely to be isolated and confined to certain pockets rather than anything widespread. The Ukrainians literally know they are up against a fascist regime who wants to destroy them and for them to live under Russian rule (for eternity). They've already seen what Russia does to their towns and citizens once they are in occupation. It's an army of brutal oppressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

HUD, head up displays have been around for decades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Show me that you haven't read my post without telling me that you haven't read my post... 🙄

I made that very same point in my post before moving on to the advantages that Helmet mounted displays have over HUDs.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

When you see the staged photos of Putin what the hell are the military guys thinking its farcical that Putin has such a hold over the country.I understand his cronies would go along with whatever he does but the rest I don't get at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think they are more worried how to cover their own a***s as far as their corruption and incompetence is concerned...

Anti-aircraft teams had a good day yesterday.1 aircraft+4 helicopters.

Hopefully the russian ships start sinking in the coming weeks as the Denmark is joined by UK and the Dutch to supply Harpoonshttps://defence-ua.com/weapon_and_tech/ukrajinu_protikorabelnimi_harpoon_posilila_ne_tilki_danija_jaki_krajini_peredali_raketi_dlja_znischennja_flotu_rf-7541.html

• Advertisement

Yes will be good to start seeing the results of these new weapons coming through into battle.

Hopefully we will start seeing many more chip pan accidents happening soon enough...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement