Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Putin wouldn't agree anyway to Ukraine being allowed into NATO membership, even if Ukraine hands over complete sovereignty of Crimea, Donbass & the south coast region to Russia. Any Ukrainian leader, including Zelenskyy would agreed with such a deal would be democratically rejected by the Ukrainian people, anyone even supporting such a deal would be in grave danger of losing their lives.

Those in the west who demand that Ukraine totally compromise & meet Russian imperialist demands are enemies of freedom & democracy, as are those that demand that western military aid to Ukraine should be curtailed.

Ukraine fights on because the other stark choice is occupation, tyranny & the extinction of a culture & it's people for many decades. They will fight on without further western military equipment if they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

What I'm thinking is that the Polish "attack" is just an excuse to invade Ukraine.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

I'm off to visit C. Daly's twitter page and set her straight about a few things...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Russian thinking(and their bots) has a major hate hard on for Poland going back a long way into history* and part of this is the belief/conspiracy that Poland is poised to invade Ukraine and take over large tracts of its eastern regions. That this is part of The Plan(tm) for Ukraine. That the Americans were going to turn Ukraine into a Yankee puppet and NATO base a stones/missiles throw from the Kremlin, Ukrainian nazis were going to ethnically cleanse the Donbas of Russian sympathisers and were massing for this attack just before Russia's Special Military Operation and Poland would come in and take parts of the west of the country that were once hers historically.

*them and the Monguls were the only ones who succesfully invaded and took the place and Poland is a lot closer and from there its a straight uninterrupted path to Moscow, so has long figured in their fears.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Former CIA chef says quote 'Russia can not maintain this long term... Russia is losing more hardware and personnel in one day than the US lost in 20 years!' If the Ukraine gets a number of Predator drones it will let them target the Russian front lines to significant effect.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"[insert talking head here] says quote 'Russia can not maintain this long term'". We've been hearing the same since barely a week into this horrorshow. One day the talking heads will be right, but I fear it's not anytime soon. Yes Russia is spending billions on weapons, but the west(mostly) is paying them many more billions for oil and gas. Personnel are a bigger issue of course, but if - as it seems they're doing now - they concentrate on hammering the Ukrainian positions and cities with long range artillery while keeping the men mostly back behind their lines, it's less of an issue that it was at first. Unless Ukraine gets longer range better artillery etc and soon, this war of attrition will work against them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think its an unreasonable argument that 4 months is not really "long term". The Russian offensive has stagnated and their losses continue - long term they are screwed. Whether that means in a month or two or 6 months or a year from now is more the question. Its also not just a case of money, they do not have the production capacity to make up for their losses.

The Ukrainians have far less capacity at the moment unless western help steps up a gear. Ukraine has also stagnated to a very large degree too. Both sides push a bit here, a bit there, but overall it's a fairly stagnated front only for the losses of men on both sides. OK the Russians won't be able to replace Sukhois too readily, but "dumb" shells, rockets and mortars are a lot easier to ramp up production in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭dasdog

I gave Wallace a bollocking yesterday. Two of the most naive humans ever elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At Bakhmut direction Russian army shelled Ukrainian positions near Mykolaivka, Bilohorivka, Yakovlivka and Pokrovske, conducted missile strikes near Zaitseve and New York. Russian army conducting assault actions at Orikhove-Hirske direction, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

Ukraine's stock of equipment is increasing and Russia's is decreasing. It is taking time to get the donated equipment into and then across Ukraine. I don't think the MLRS systems they have gotten have made their way to the east yet for example. While stepping it up a gear would help, if it maintains consistently then it will be the kind of replenishment of supply Russia can only dream of.

Also, keeping an army out in the field gets progressively harder and when their morale is low it becomes close to impossible eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

To add to my previous post... something of a foregoing conclusion I suppose. Russia is a creature of habit, it keeps repeating itself. Chechnya even Syria they do the same thing. Bomb every building standing and introduce chaos on a grand scale.

Russia must absolutely be defeated or it will soon be at our back door.

Dan.

Christ, they've been bombing New York off an on for over a month now I make it. It's a town of 10k people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Sorry, old quote i dont seem to be able to delete this tweet from my drafts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have to agree that it seems both sides are stalling somewhat now, I dont seem to be seeing much about many weapons being sent to Ukraine anymore, well at least not as much as before anyway. I wonder is it that less is being announced, or is less being sent?

What ever about Russian supplies drying up, if weapons being sent from western countries start drying up Ukraine will be in a very bad position. I think we can see this with Zelensky making constant calls for more weapons to be sent.

Many of the weapons already announced are only now making their way into Ukraine. It doesn't happen overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You'd have to think a long drawn out war is 'very' risky for Putin. The longer it goes on, the less support there will be among the domestic population. When Putin was going off on his angry rants on TV about Ukraine in mid February, nobody in Russia could have guessed it would result in a full scale war lasting potentially years and with never ending sanctions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Why would the Ukrainian politicians be at blame for anything? This is all on Russia, and their people who consistently give their blessing to Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

And what will the Russian people do about it?? Sweet F.A ....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not predicting a Ceausescu moment at all where the Russian public decide to topple him via revolution. But an increasingly unpopular war still carries many risks and could be the thing that hastens his exit from office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Keep hitting Oligarchs wherever they go. That will get him out of power eventually.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When that happens you need to wait until you want to post a new message. Delete the old message and attachments and rewrite new message and post it. Old message should disappear

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Russia will keep fighting until they win , ad long as they have people the fight will continue no matter the consequences, there is no way back for Russia , if USA and Europe get fatigued, we’re in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

I think the one unforeseen aspect to this war will be the reinvigoration of the German military and finally putting to bed their guilt over causing WW2 , Russia is now the new nazi Germany.

I was in dusseldorf a few weeks ago and all the young Germans were partying hard singing and dancing on tables, never seen Germans party like this before.

However one thing really struck me if this Germany entered the Ukraine war at this stage they would annihilate Russia. I think ultimately Germany will take advantage of this situation with a severely weakened Russia in the future. Putin started this war with an extreme nationalistic and imperialist Russian viewpoint. However Russia could become the victim of a revitalised and newly nationalist Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Russia warns NATO-member Lithuania over Kaliningrad transit | Reuters

Lithuania stepping up, overland transit to Kaliningrad is now banned under direction of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

Snake Island has been hit.It may be the long awaited HIMARS."The exact number of dead occupiers is unknown, the losses of the Russians are estimated as large"..https://lviv.media/zsu-vdaryly-raketamy-po-ostrovu-zmiinyy/

I'll believe it when I see it. Germany can talk all they like but actions are what matter. Have they started recruiting? Have they replaced their broomhandles yet? Nah. The big money they're going to spend will be spread over a decade or more and it's not as if it's only the Russians who don't always get "value" for money when it comes to military spending and they're starting from a very low base. The German government has had to be pressure and shamed into even paying lip service and then they continue dragging their heels. Couple of years down the line when they've finally come up with concrete plans and policies the war will be over and they can decide actually, let's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Found this embedded in an article I was reading although I couldn't find the credited source. Obviously pro-Ukrainian given the language but interesting to see it laid out like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement